Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Complete system question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Default Complete system question

Hey guys!
What would be the best way to go on installing an exhaust system starting from headers all the way to the tips? I have the slightest idea if i would remove the Cat or Restrictor lol. Like what parts should I buy and what would make it sound deep and evil. I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS N/A 3800. Thanks!!!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I created a new thread for you. I removed the resonator on mine. I wasn't happy with the results. Amplified the raspiness of the 3800 V6. Go with the performance muffler of your choice for sound improvements.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Thank you Taz

Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 AM

I removed the stock mufflers and installed flowmaster super 44s if I would do it again I would go with the series 10s for it a little bit deeper I have a performance cat sitting in my trunk now and then I plan on removing the resonator wile I'm at it. I love the deep loud exaust it's all personal preference I'd look on YouTube for exaust clips that's what I did. But I'd go with the series 10s! Let us know what you decide!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have excellerator Mufflers (there chambered) Great sound, no droneing,
Has a deep incredable tone at idle.... Under acceleration its very Throaty!

No back fire, pop pop pop stuff either... Mine is also non supercharged...I like it! I also have Tails off of my mufflers with tips! Unlike the stock configuration!.... I had mine done at Mufflerman...They provided the excellerator mufflers!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys!!!! I'm looking to put a Down Pipe, but im not sure if i should go with or without the Cat. Also if i should remove the resonator. I saw a Video on youtube of a SS 02 Just like mine with magnaflow mufflers and resonator delete it sounds awesome!!!! I know my Monte needs a New Cat but should i just remove it? I'm lost lol

Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 AM

Another thing, I will be adding a Cold Air induction also so that should help with gas and sound some what right lol

Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM

It could help with gas some but adding any kind of power accessories in my opinion might not do much because if your moving more air through then more fuel needs to be burned as well to run most efficient. I never really paid much attention to that stuff when I 1st got my SS last year but after adding my K&N complete induction kit and Dynomax Super Turbo catback exhaust, I really didnt notice a huge change. I'll tell ya though, I do hear the intake pulling in air at vehicle startup, accelerating toward higher rpms and at vehicle shutdown it expels the air. Sounds real cool. And the exhaust is a mild throaty sound at idle, more throaty at lower rpms then opens up to a nice pitch at full throttle. Its a very distinctive sound. Good luck with getting yours tuned to the right tone.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM

this is what i would recommend:

1) Headers- only just a little bit more then just a down pipe and will flow and sound better
2)High flow cat to stay "legal"
3)Stainless muffler 2.5" I am running a magnaflow but borla also make good inline mufflers. running a single muffler inline before you split at the y saves money and weight. also the straight length of pipe smooths after the muffler smooths out the sound as well. I would also go with aluminized pipe so it will last. that is what i have and my system is at least 8 years old and i have lived with in 10 miles of the ocean all this time.
4) finish with stainless tips of your choice.

I also agree a cold air intake will also help with making the car sound better. But think headers will be a great mod both for sound and for flow/power

Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mpound97
It could help with gas some but adding any kind of power accessories in my opinion might not do much because if your moving more air through then more fuel needs to be burned as well to run most efficient. I never really paid much attention to that stuff when I 1st got my SS last year but after adding my K&N complete induction kit and Dynomax Super Turbo catback exhaust, I really didnt notice a huge change. I'll tell ya though, I do hear the intake pulling in air at vehicle startup, accelerating toward higher rpms and at vehicle shutdown it expels the air. Sounds real cool. And the exhaust is a mild throaty sound at idle, more throaty at lower rpms then opens up to a nice pitch at full throttle. Its a very distinctive sound. Good luck with getting yours tuned to the right tone.

I think im gonna go Magnaflow downpipe with Highflow Cat and then then Magnaflow 2.5 exhaust system that comes with tips

Quick Reply: Complete system question