Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cheapest HP Gain 06 SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by 2000_BLACK_SS
Sorry to thread jack a little here but, you can actual get a different tone witha different tip. I used to think the same thing then my dad got exhaust for his challenger with the stock tips and you could here the extra flow hitting the lip of the tip, then he go bigger tips with no rolled lip and it sounded completly different.
Interesting. So which one's sounded better and what do you account the better sound to?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Interesting. So which one's sounded better and what do you account the better sound to?

the aftermarket ones sounded much better the reason i think is because the stock ones had about a 3/8 inch lip on them pointing inward that would catch the flow of the exhaust and casuse a wierd sound that you could hear at idel very well and even when riding next to the car. Then when we put the after market tips on the exhaust they were a little larger in the opening of the overall tip. Also they did not have a lip in them so i think that the exhaust was able to flow more freely then before and not catch on the lip of the tip.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Photobucket

I guess that does make sense. Good info to know.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Ok, now I've got to many things I want to do. I think I will try to do intake, muffler, programmer in that order, but I have a few more questions.
1. Is K&N the best intake or do you guys prefer something else?
2. If I just get the Flowmaster Super 40 muffler for $80 will that change performance by letting air out faster or do I need bigger pipes or is it just for sound?
3. If I get a programmer, I'm thinking Diablo, or should I get something else?

I should be able to get these 3 things for around $800 depending on what I get charged for installing the mufflers. Is the cold air intake for the 06 easy to do yourself?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Photobucket

1) I'm going with K&N because it is a known name I can trust. And the instructions should be easy enough to follow. There is also this one that a lot of people have said may be even better than K&N because of the heat shield box, but I've never heard of this company and I don't like how it looks.
Cold Air Inductions

2) They may help performance a little, but it probably won't be very noticeable. You're buying mufflers for sound mostly. If you wanted performance you would probably have to go with the dyno tested/proven cat-back designed by Magnaflow, but then you're looking to spend over $600.
Also $80 is too much for those mufflers. Here is a link for a cheaper site to buy from with a good reputation.
$69 with free shipping

3) IDK, sorry! lol

Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM

What, not going to listen to the guy with 20 years experience modifying GM cars? You need to do a lot of research before you spend a dime if you are not sure "what does what"...No offense intended

And to explain the different tone with a different exhaust tip....A 3" diameter, 4" long tip will sound different than a 4" diameter, 6" long tip - much deeper tone from a larger, longer tip.

And just replacing mufflers will only change the sound slightly. The stock system uses 2.25" pipes, where aftermarket systems use 2.5" pipes - larger pipe = more flow. You will not increase the flow that much with just mufflers. A complete, larger, well designed catback system is needed to effectively increase exhaust flow. It does not have to be Magnaflow, just a well designed system.

And finally, it is a personal preference with exhaust volume/sound. I used to like my cars to be the loudest thing possible, but still be legal. Flowmaster got plenty of my money over the years, don't get me wrong. In fact, my 1972 Monte Carlo has 1-5/8" long tube headers with 3" collectors, 2.5" dual exhaust with H-pipe and FLOWMASTER 40 series mufflers...imagine that

In my opinion, a 2006 Monte Carlo SS is not supposed to sound like a top fuel funny car. It just doesn't fit the car - My personal preference is a deeper, mellow exhaust note on a car like that. Camaro, T/A, GTO, Mustang, older muscle cars, etc.. yes, they should have loud, obnoxious exhaust....Again, just my opinion

Last edited by SSilver; 05-07-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Yes, I don't want it to be the loudest thing around by any means. I just want it to have a nice rumble. I would go with just the Magnaflow cat back system, but the cheapest I am finding it is about $750, then have to pay somebody to install it unless it is an easy install. I would go with Magnaflow system, but I don't think I can get it done for $600.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:53 PM

You can get darn close. I paid $625 for mine with free shipping from an eBay merchant. They are all asking $760, but some have the "best offer" also, so I tried a couple and got one for $625, brand new, sealed box.

I'm tellin' ya', if you can scrounge up $625, you won't be sorry - I just now got back from driving mine and I am still amazed at the sound.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
What, not going to listen to the guy with 20 years experience modifying GM cars? You need to do a lot of research before you spend a dime if you are not sure "what does what"...No offense intended
Me? Ohhh trust me.... I listen to him, I know that he knows what he's talking about. Whatever he recommends I'm OK with.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Did you put yours on yourself?

Quick Reply: Cheapest HP Gain 06 SS