Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cheap CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Cheap CAI?

WHOOPS!

there have been so many air intake threads recently I started getting the engines mixed up!!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks bumpin, again I'm not trying to make this the ultimate dragger. Just something for drivin I can feel good about and have it not sound like the grandpa car it is. Louder = better for me. I was thinking about a dyno Max muffler. Glasspack maybe, but with a 2-3" outlet so I can put my own tip on and not look like a fart can.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 AM

i have a k&n cai and its not cheap
but i love it its worth the 300$ i put out for it my super charger whines
so its your choice look at my ride would i joke?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 PM

Louder = better for me. I was thinking about a dyno Max muffler. Glasspack maybe, but with a 2-3" outlet so I can put my own tip on and not look like a fart can.
Thats what I wanted when I had my 3100 too. I ended up having the stock resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe- and then had the stock muffler cut off, and replaced it with a cherrybomb glasspack, and a ~3.5" tip.

Durability sucked- the setup only lasted about 3 winters before it started rusting through, but they use a lot of salt around here. The sound was pretty good for a 3100 IMO, and it was plenty loud.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Bumpin, was the stock resonator the Catalystc converter or are they two different things? I want to kind of hide the glasspack and have just some chrome tip sticking out thats not the oblivious fart can.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 PM

That's crap!
Cold Air Intake?
You can see the Air Cleaner UNDER THE HOOD ...
Under the HOOD ... !
Under the HOOD is HOT Air Intake!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM

was the stock resonator the Catalystc converter or are they two different things?
The cat and resonator are two different things. The cat is up under the floor below your dash, the resonator is back under your seats.

I want to kind of hide the glasspack and have just some chrome tip sticking out thats not the oblivious fart can.
I just put my glasspackin thestock muffler location- and honestly, you couldn't see it at all w/ the tip unless you got on the ground and looked for it.

If you're really that worried about it- you could just take some high temp black paint and spray it- to get rid of the bright red / purple/ etc that they come in.

Or, if you delete the res, you could always mount it up there since they're about the same size.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Which Glasspack did you get? I wanted to have my own tip sticking out, but if it looks good on yours I might consider just that one.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

First one I had was a purple hornet (sp?)- second one was a cherry bomb. I also went through 3 different tips between the two mufflers.

Since I didn't buy stainless parts- they would rust out in a matter of years. Not much you can do about it if you live where they salt- and you drive your car in the winter.

They do make a stainless glasspack- but its $100, and stainless tips are available as well if you want something more permanent.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Can I get a link to the specific ones you've bought?

Quick Reply: Cheap CAI?