Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cat-Back Interest

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cat-Back Interest

Ok guys...

Heres the deal.
First off...I'm not sure if I am allowed to post this up, so Mod's, if this is an issue, feel free to contact me.

For those of you interested, I am attempting to gauge interest on a full stainless exhaust system for the monet carlo's.

Here at Cottons Performance (www.cottonsperformance.com), we have been dedicated to the modification and preservation of the 3.8 SFI Turbo cars, but if enough market is still available, a journey into the world of 3800's may not be too far away.

What I am looking for is interest in a full stainless cat-back for the w-body platform.

We are talking direct bolt-on, complete 304 stainless steel with smooth mandrel bends.

What is the market looking for?
Single or dual tips?
With or Without Resonator?
2.5" all the way back or 3" into a 2.5" Y?
Optional Cutouts (electric or manual)?
Loud or Quiet?

These are all questions i would like to see some different perspectives on so collectivly as a community we can tailor a system to our needs.

If the interest is there, more parts will come.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Default RE: Cat-Back Interest

Hi Brandon, & Thanks for your post
[:-]
I think the more performance parts availiable for
the Awesome 3.8 is a plus to any Monte Carlo owner.
Especially for direct bolt/on parts : )
The MFC has several performanceowners,
and I'm sure that you will get feedback about their desires/
preference for parts.
I've read about your site before, and know of people
that have been very happy with your parts/service.
They were owners of Grand Nationals.
WoW, they are fast for a V6 Turbo : )
Look forward to reading more about your company.
MCF Member's, Check out their Web Site.
Great infor
[:-]
Ad says, Lift it up `Space

Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think the greatest demand would be for a 2.5" midpipe with no resonator to a y and then 2" or 2 1/4" duals into dual mufflers and tips.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 AM

I think 2.5" pipeall the way back with no resonator. 2.5" Y pipe. Back to Dual Mufflers with tips. For the electric cutout I think that would be badass to already have built in to the catback that way you can pick if you want nice tone or screaming loud. I want to put one in mine just so when I want to get loud I can. As for the loud and quiet part I say not to loud, not to quiet. Something with a nice deep tone, but loud enough to hear it.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM

I think that with SLP, Magnaflo, Dynomax, FlowMaster, GMPP, ZZP Exhaust, Corsa, and Borla, getting ANOTHER company into the mix would be near pointless. I am not saying this to discourage you, however honestly, there are SO many companies out there that already make a catback system for the Gen 6 cars, that it would be a waste for ANOTHER company to try to get a hold on an already dying out arena. The 3800 has been replaced by the newer, more efficient engines that GM has to offer, so the chances of the 3.8L staying is, unfortunately, not a realistic goal, let alone getting a new company to fab up designs, road test, and then manufacture on a large scale a new catback exhaust...

Good luck to you, however, as I see you as a great optimist. =)

-Keegan

Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM

[align=center]Member Keegan, I respect your point/post,[/align][align=center]but I believe the more competition in the marketplace,[/align][align=center]the better selection there is for the consumer's.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Supply & Demand[/align][align=center]More Supplies/Parts, less demand = Discounts : ) [/align][align=center]Less supplies/Parts, More Demand = Higher Prices : ( [X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Plus, competition can bring lower prices on the systems[/align][align=center]that they sell. I like as many choices as I can get.[/align][align=center]Plus, `if I can save a few $'s, that a bonus.[/align][align=center]I don't have any idea of how many 3.8L engines there are[/align][align=center]on the road today, but I bet there's a lot of them.[/align][align=center]Peace Out, `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM

I agree with Space. More competition the better I think. Plus one that offers a cutout is pretty good idea. There 3.8 in a great motor and will be around for many years in car that it's in now, they run forever. I say make one

Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

the joys of the free market... if he wants in, he can come in. if he makes a better product than those guys, great. if not, then the market will deal with him appropriatly

Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM

What is the market looking for?

performance imo

Single or dual tips?

single

With or Without Resonator?

without

2.5" all the way back or 3" into a 2.5" Y?

2.5 into a 2.5 Y.

Optional Cutouts (electric or manual)?

the option definately sounds wicked. electric

Loud or Quiet?

loud

Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well first off, thanks to evryone for putting in their 2 cents.
I really appriciate that you guys are stepping up to the plate and telling me what you want.

I guess i need to clarify a little bit as to what we are doing here since there is some confusion.

Cotton's Performance Isn't jumping into the 3800 market expecting to be the next "ZZP." It would be pointless for us to redesign the wheel here. There are plenty of companies that have done an excellent job executing powerful products with a large knowledge base.

We are simply attempting to provide an alternative product with just as much knowledge in racing and performance as anyone else (if not more-so). I personally feel that this is a great opportunity for the entire community since a fresh set of eyes should always be welcome.

We arent here to make large profits, or blind-side the community with pages of new product, we are simply taking a different approach by providing w-body enthusiasts with what THEY want.

When you read this post, just think...
When was the last time SLP, ZZP, Dynomax, Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, or Pacesetter asked YOU what YOU want out of your 500-1200 dollar system.

Thanks for the input evryone, and keep it rollin' in!

Quick Reply: Cat-Back Interest