Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAI for 3.5L, 3.9L & 3.8 on Ebay Motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default CAI for 3.5L, 3.9L & 3.8 on Ebay Motors

[align=center]Found the below air intake on Ebay[/align][align=center]Has any member purchased, installed the below intake ?[/align][align=center]Not a bad price, but you get what you pay for : )[/align][align=center]Please post if you have one, and what you think.[/align][align=center]Please give your review - opinion `ok[/align][align=center][:-]

[:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

* Polish Finished Aluminum piping for better direct airflow into the throttle body.
* Come with high performance washable Air Filter. Just clean with any cleaning kit such as K&N cleaning kit (cleaning kit not included)
* Clamp /(s) and rubber reducer /(s) included if applicable
* Increase 7-15 HP! Deep throaty sound
* No additional parts will be needed for installation.

* 100% Brand New.

* Installation instruction will be sent via email to paid buyer once they ask for it

Fits:

CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS, LT, LTZ, 3.5L, 3.9L V6 (2006-2008)

price:
US $56.00Visit seller's Store:[/align][align=center][:-]
insys-usa [/align]

Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Air Intake for 3.5L & 3.9L on Ebay Motors

Its just a hot air intake- I don't personally think it would be worth it- your IATs would be significantly higher than stock.

If you were making your own intake, you could just buy some flexible tubing and actually put the filter in the fenderwell to get cooler air for about the same price or less.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM

I've got a similar set up in my car, except it's slightly shielded, which will soon be remedied by the MPD heat shield. The one great thing about setups like this is the huge difference in sound. The size of the stock airbox suppresses sooo much sound.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 AM

yeah but is the sound worth losing power and going slower?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM

They certainly are reasonable in pricing and you would certainly want to build a heat sheild or you would actually lose power. I'm sure the whole package comes from China and the chrome would probably flaked away within a matter of months as well as the hose dry rotting. I would also be concerned with the inside flakes sucking through my SC.

When I get there I will probably buy a K&N Cone with some Silicone hose and fittings and get it down to where the factory picks up the cold air. I even saw a Monte on youtube the other day that took the headlight out for cold air. Has anyone thought about getting side scoops from an older Trans Am or Z-28 and making mods to the drivers fender?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

I don't like these cheap intakes on ebay, All it does is get hot and sucks in hot air, the chrome does get dull and they expose our pcms to the environments of the world with no protection. I would use our own tube and stock maf sensor and a coupler attach a nice big filter on it and construct your own box with the old air box as a template so you protect the pcm, I had one similar and it came lose after a while and i was losing alot of horsepower and i tighten it up and just said I don't want to worry about this problem so I got mpds intake to have a very nice high quality setup.

You do get what you pay for as the saying goes

Old 08-22-2008, 05:23 AM

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

yeah but is the sound worth losing power and going slower?
Honestly, I didn't feel any significant drop in acceleration at all. While the fact may be that it does give higher IATs, it is still far less restrictive than the stock air box. Build a heat shield, integrate a tray for the PCM, and you're golden. It won't be a fenderwell, but for people like me up in upstate new york, fenderwells get very wet and very dirty and wouldn't be a great place for a filter.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]Has any Member Purchased the Below ?[/align][align=center]Please submit your review and if it was worth the $`s[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]$285.29[/align][align=center]K&N Cold Air Intake Chevy Monte Carlo 05 04 03 02 01[/align]

Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Honestly, I didn't feel any significant drop in acceleration at all. While the fact may be that it does give higher IATs, it is still far less restrictive than the stock air box. Build a heat shield, integrate a tray for the PCM, and you're golden.
Of course you won't, you're talking tenths in the 1/4 and a couple whp on the dyno- I don't know anyone who could feel that minor of a change on the street.

IMO the stock airboxes aren't as crazy restrictive as people make them seem. Sure there is less restriction by putting a way oversized filter on there- but the stock intake was designed to work with the stock engine- if a massive air filter and big piping helped power and mpg so much, then they would do it straight from the factory.

Also, if you end up making your own pcm mount, your own heat shield, etc- doing all these mods to one of those ebay kits- then IMO you may as well just buy your own filter and make it from scratch because the kit doesn't have anything particularly special anyways.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 AM

That's... what I did. I never bought a kit, I bought a cone and some modular piping. And since I'm assuming we're not gonna be taking our cars to the track weekly(I could be wrong for a few) I'm guessing that the minor losses that we can't feel anyways won't matter to those of us just cruising on the street. The fact is that the 1-2 horsepower you lose could be made up or lost depending on who you have in the passenger seat or how big your audio system is. IMO the healthy sucking noise does indeed justify the $60 I used to make my intake.

Quick Reply: CAI for 3.5L, 3.9L & 3.8 on Ebay Motors