Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Which CAI? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/cai-15320/)

bumpin96monte 08-12-2009 05:40 PM

For awhile I was set on the K&N CAI, which on a stock 2000 Grand Prix S/C shows a 13.37 HP increase, however I have a 2003 Monte SS, 3.8 N/A, no supercharger. And plus the price of $300 seemed a bit steep. But on www.zzperformance.com they sell a Wizair CAI, and it's only $200, I read all 33 reviews, it seems everyone thought it was a pain to install, but were pleased with the results. And the Wizair is an enclosed airbox where K&N isn't. The only thing is all these guys that wrote reviews were S/C, I'm wondering if I can expect the same results as N/A. Does anyone know anything about Wizair and how well it works on the N/A 3800? Is it better than K&N?
As before- don't even look at advertised HP gains, they're garbage. Even on an L67- a 15 HP gain from a semi-CAI is nuts.

IMO the Wizair is much better than the K&N regardless which engine.

The K&N is nowhere near as well sealed for cold air as the Wizair is.

Personally, I'd just buy a K&N cone and make your own FWI- run flexible ducting into the fenderwell and mount your filter there (or use roof flashing and put it up at the top of the fenderwell if you live in an area where you might have to drive through deep puddles). You can build one for less than half of a Wizair, with similar power gains.

AwesomeSS 08-12-2009 07:55 PM

For about a little over $200 you can get an SLP or a Thrasher CAI at 3800performance.com. I Have the SLP on my 05 SS and I like it. But, I kinda wish I went with the Thrasher system cause the filter is pain to get to on the SLP system. You have to undo about 8 of those plastic button things (I can't think of the correct term right now) and the filter is attached to the lid. I already broke 2 of the clips.

Frosty LS1 08-12-2009 11:33 PM

Wizair doesn't make a really annoying sound does it? I don't want my car to sound like a Hoover vacuum cleaner all the time. And what would a shop charge to have this installed? Also, do you still need to get a tray for the PCM?

ChibiBlackSheep 08-13-2009 08:34 AM

I'm not sure about the Wizaired but it should have a PCM tray built into the box.

Your car WILL sound like a hoover vac, when it's cold for about 1 minute, all the other times you hear the CAI will be on WOT and it will sound mean.

There is no reason you can't do this install yourself, it's VERY BASIC and a great starter project for someone to be proud of what they did.

bumpin96monte 08-13-2009 04:51 PM

Your car WILL sound like a hoover vac, when it's cold for about 1 minute, all the other times you hear the CAI will be on WOT and it will sound mean.
x2 If you don't want to hear intake noise- keep the stock airbox, it is designed to eliminate noises like that.

Frosty LS1 08-13-2009 10:30 PM

So you'll hear the air sucking in for the first few minutes when you start up the car, but when the engine is warm you don't hear it at idle anymore? And it makes the engine louder at WOT you're saying?

ChibiBlackSheep 08-14-2009 08:38 AM

^ exactly.

It's of course going to be a TAD louder at idle and such, but unless you are WOT or the engine/air is cold you won't hear it that much.

Personally the sounds I hear I love.

bumpin96monte 08-14-2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS (Post 151648)
So you'll hear the air sucking in for the first few minutes when you start up the car, but when the engine is warm you don't hear it at idle anymore? And it makes the engine louder at WOT you're saying?

The first minute or so (or longer if its cold out) is very loud- the vac cleaner sound mentioned above. After that, it is still louder- not significantly, but it is definitely louder across the entire rpm band.

Its like remove the muffler and resonator from your exhaust- it makes it louder all the time, especially at WOT- the intake box does the same thing, its a silencer for all those intake noises (including blower whine on the L67's).

ChibiBlackSheep 08-14-2009 07:33 PM

Bottom line is the fact that it's not really going to be a wake the neighbor loud, but it will be noticeable.

But it's a sound that an SS SHOULD make anyway ;)

Jomao_o 08-15-2009 11:24 AM

Chibiblacksheep, man you're a great poster.
I read your post and say "damn" wish i had the knowledge this guy has.. or maybe its all just mumble jumble. lol :P

definitely a great MCF member. ^.^

You're always helpful.