Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

A/C blows cold & hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Default A/C blows cold & hot

A/C blows cold on passenger side & hot on drivers side. Anyone know an easy fix and where to check? A few months before, the blower started working only on high speed too. Any thoughts on how to fix either? Primarily want the a/c to blow from both vents right now.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by carly2002
A/C blows cold on passenger side & hot on drivers side. Anyone know an easy fix and where to check? A few months before, the blower started working only on high speed too. Any thoughts on how to fix either? Primarily want the a/c to blow from both vents right now.
Hi Carly:
Welcome the forum....
What kinda vehicle is it?
It might be something as simple as the tempature control...(on the dashboard)
Check to be sure the temp is set to cold on both driver and passenger side controls....for hot and cold....and be sure there both in the "cold" setting.

As far as your fan speed issue....Theres a circuit board under the dash where the fan control plugs into...Its a comon problem..and you can purchase a new one at most auto parts...
So remove the old one for comparison before you purchase the new fan control...to be sure you have the correct one...

Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks, it's a 2002 Monte Carlo LS. It doesn't have separate controls for driver/passenger side. Someone said the flaps might be stuck that change the air flow from hot to cold?? But I have no idea where to check those "flaps" and if I remember correctly, the same thing was happening when I used the heat at the end of year, hot air would only come out of the passenger side and cold air out of the driver's side. I'm definitely going to check out the air control plug in regard to the fan speed.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:03 AM

there should be a a electrical controller for the flaps for the 6th gen and the 7th it is a little hard to get to but it sounds like the flap that opens and closes the heat to ac to heat again is going bad. there cheap but worth replacing in the long run to make sure it is not it. with the fan speed i would clean the electrical conector for the fuesable linc that controlles the fan speed it is or should be behind the glove box and when you disconect it you should be able to ge to it to clean it with a wire brush or pick. it should be able to clear it up. if it didnt then it could be the fuesable link. that leads to the fan blower

Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
there should be a a electrical controller for the flaps for the 6th gen and the 7th it is a little hard to get to but it sounds like the flap that opens and closes the heat to ac to heat again is going bad. there cheap but worth replacing in the long run to make sure it is not it. with the fan speed i would clean the electrical conector for the fuesable linc that controlles the fan speed it is or should be behind the glove box and when you disconect it you should be able to ge to it to clean it with a wire brush or pick. it should be able to clear it up. if it didnt then it could be the fuesable link. that leads to the fan blower
Its my experience from 2002 to 2004 gm had an issue with those elctrical circuit boards that control the fan speeds....speaking from first hand experience....

I recently had to replace 1 on my 2004...
The first sign of this component going bad.....is the speed control either only works on lo...or just the opposite and only runs on high....It just depends on who ran it on what speeds the most that burns out the resistor that controls the fan speeds 1-5

Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

In my opinion this sounds like 2 seperate issues, one the resistor pack that gives you your various speeds sounds like it went. Had this issue on my dads 05 envoy. The hot/cold problem sounds like an issue with the blend doors with in the dash. The Resistor pack is a fairly easy change but the hot/cold issue im not so sure about.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
In my opinion this sounds like 2 seperate issues, one the resistor pack that gives you your various speeds sounds like it went. Had this issue on my dads 05 envoy. The hot/cold problem sounds like an issue with the blend doors with in the dash. The Resistor pack is a fairly easy change but the hot/cold issue im not so sure about.

I couldnt agree more...
Maybe take it to a reputable shop for the blend flap issue..
I havent ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BLEND FLAPS...But definately have experience with the fan speed control resistor..

Maybe someone else will chime in who does...