Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Borla Cat-back finally on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have borla on both my Monte and My GTO...your 100% right about it being quite at idle...when I put it on, I almost thought I put my stockers back on...lol....But I actually like it quite...it does get louder at WOT but not insanely loud.

I know most everyone wants loud cars but I am happy with a quite one....my car sounds stock at start up and idle, which really helps the sleeper look...when asked whats done to it, I can say stock and they believe me no problem...lol...

Every car I will ever own will always have borla on it. Congrats on a great exhaust system!

Joe

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm actually pretty happy with it. It does get louder as you give it gas until you hit cruising speed when it gets quiet again. I don't think 6 cylinders sound that great when they are loud anyway.

Do you have the Borla catback on your Monte or just some Borla mufflers?

Wayne

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM

I have the full Borla Cat-back and love it. It is fairly quiet but I’ve had members hit me up and tell me they love the rumble (in gridlock traffic, when I thought it was its quietest). It definitely does get better as you give it gas though…Do you have headers? Rockers/Cam? They change the sound a bit – a bit more rumble.

Also, I’ll have to dig em up (pics), but I didn’t have to drill in my frame when installed. I did have to change a few things up when I changed cats and removed my rear o2, but other than that it was all good.

I wouldn't do it, but you could always swap out the res to get some more sound...But that never sounds right to me...

Also, they could have welded a braket or hanger rather than drill.

Last edited by Mac7504; 05-09-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm going to leave the resonator alone. I'm happy with the sound for now.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the placement of the hanger post that is welded to the front piece of the Cat-back. Its not even close to reaching the rubber hanger that was mounted on the car. The muffler guy didn't want to weld anything to the stainless steel pipe so he made the existing hanger post work. Probably not the best solution but it works.

The rest of the car is stock. I still have the U-bend behind the cat. I"m going to leave everything like it is for now and will probably get rid of the U-bend when I need to replace the catalytic converter.

Wayne

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM

Just an update. The exhaust has gotten a little louder the more I've driven it but not anything too much. I really like it and actually like it better than the sound clips I've heard of the GMPP system which is what I wanted initially. I would highly recommend this system for anyone who doesn't want anything as loud as the GMPP system.

Wayne