Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

A bit of a Noob to my Monte Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Default A bit of a Noob to my Monte Carlo SS

Okay so here is the deal, I need some help figure out the specs on my car. I am not a Mech. I am a IT dude. I know how to turn a wrench follow instructions and research. I only have the basic XP on cars like Changing the oil and replacing a Radiator. Anyways, let me get to the point.

I am looking at doing some bolt on and simple crap that doesn't require me to pull my engine out of the car. So anything that i can do just by opening the hood and stripping it down from inside the car would be great.

My Car Current Specs.
2002 Monte Carlo SS Non-Supercharged
V6 3800 Series II

Currently Installed
Cold Air Intake not ran down the front fender.
Dual Ram Air Hood
Performance PCM
Cat Back Exhaust Flowmaster system
MSD Coil Packs
Throttle Body Spacer
Not to sure but I did Upgrade the Spark Plugs and Wires to performance ones

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you can please provide me with the specs that I should be looking for. Specially if it is something that i need to research because it is listed on a different car but works for my engine. Also how do i know if i have a L67 engine?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Headers, downpipe, ported stuff(TB & lower intake manifold), High velocity intake insert(I have one I could sell you when I get back from Iraq since you're right down the street basically), those are about the only simple things you have left. After that it's cam and heads, which I will also have available.

You don't have an L67 engine. If you did it would be supercharged.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Advice on what? What exactly do you want to do with the car- make it fast?

You need set a specific goal (13.5 in the 1/4 mile, 300 WHP, something like that) and then research to see what it entails- if you have a specific goal in mind it's alot easier for us to give you advice.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hate to say it too, but I think you've been wasting some money if you're only trying to get performance from your Monte. The MSD coils will fail much sooner than your stock coils and there really isn't a need to upgrade your coils, especially for how little you have done to your Monte. Another thing is your throttle body spacer. That does nothing performance wise to our 3800's. The only thing that it's really good for is giving you a section where you could tap nitrous into it. You will see no performance gain though from the spacer alone.

The best bang for your buck performance though is to do a top swap. If you buy an L67, you will have most of the parts you need. Basically it's removing the heads up on an L67 and putting it on your engine (you have an L36, which is an NA 3800 SII). You also need the balancer from the L67 and a couple of other things too.

But yes, what are your goals? That would give us a great place to help point you in the right direction.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 PM

there is a guy here named bumpin with a built l67 you may get some ideas from him or he can get you onto the right path on what you might like to do. just give a little more details on what you like to do. as in give it a respectable umph

Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Monte! Keep us updated!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by PacerSS
Headers, downpipe, ported stuff(TB & lower intake manifold), High velocity intake insert(I have one I could sell you when I get back from Iraq since you're right down the street basically), those are about the only simple things you have left. After that it's cam and heads, which I will also have available.

You don't have an L67 engine. If you did it would be supercharged.
Cool deal bro. Hit me up when you get back to States. I am Medically retired service member so i wish you a safe return home.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Okay as for what i want it to do in the 1/4 mile is still up for grabs. But i would love to Zoom past these rice rockets screaming VTech out the window laughing my *** off would be wonderful.

So my car is a L36 limits my ability to gain any real performance modification?

If so how do i upgrade to a L67?
No turbo but i do want to go the direction of Super Charged one piece at a time so i don't break my wallet.

This is really hard for me to explain since i am a Noob to sort of stuff.

So the advice really is what should i do.. Upgrade my Current engine or change it to something that can be much more? And how do i do it with what... Sorry if i seem like a Noob but guys/gals I love the way American muscle looks drives and sounds compared to a import.

Last edited by nooble; 08-21-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:54 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I say get an l67 right away. Save up for it, and drop it in all at once. Much easier than sourcing parts for the top swap. It is much more than the blower, lim, heads, etc. Theres tons of tiny parts that arent the easiest thing to get. And the extra compression can easily be offset by a smaller pulley, then you can just use an l67 computer and change a few ratios as well, rather than having to tune yours.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Well first off what's your budget?

Quick Reply: A bit of a Noob to my Monte Carlo SS