Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Another CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Default Another CAI question

Hi Guy's

I'm looking to either fabricate a CAI for my 2006 monte carlo 3.5 LT,or own up and purchase K&N series filter. Now the million dollar question is, before I either make a CAI or purchase one. I would like to know some quick point's on the 3.5L. In previous post's i have read that there is PCM control block that is protected by factory air box, is there an aftermarket box I can purchase and use in the 3.5L? Also would the Air intake from K&N model number 63-3059. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-3059
Would this setup work in a 3.5L, site says it’s made for the 5.3L Monte Carlo SS, just inquiring if I would have to build one or if I can purchase this? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Another CAI question

Hi Patrick,
I also have an 063.5L LT. I was looking at the install instructions for that CAI, and a few questions popped into my head at various steps
http://www.kandn.com/instructions/63-3059.pdf
step 3 - does the 3.5 share the same crank case vent tube?

step 9+ - does the 3.5L share the same engine/transmission control modules, and are they the same dimensions. In later steps of the install, these modules have to be relocated, and it would be a real pain in the a..to get that far, and then have to put itall back together.

step 18 - is the throttle body the same size in the 3.5L as the 5.3L - this one is MAJOR, as I would venture a guess to say no
Maybe an e-mail, or a call to K&N customer service department is in order
As for the rest, it all seems pretty straight forward - the engine bays are all the exact same sizes (same car), but the length and distances that the intake covers may be different. In step 42, the 5.3L is shown, and the throttle body seems to be relatively in the same place as the 3.5L. I would hope that GM would use the same tubing for many of their engines, but I couldn't say for sure.
With this all said, if you do in fact try this and it works, I will myself be blazing a trail to my local parts store to order me one of them!![sm=signs003.gif]

Old 06-04-2007, 09:54 PM

95 monte, Unfortunately I have the same car and have been looking into it. The tranny control module is the same between the V8 and the V6's, so I know it should be similer.. The trans is actually identical between the SS's V8 adn the V6 save for a stronger chain, and some other fine points. (hence the heavy duty designation)

Unfortunately the intake it self is not the same. see our cars have the same intake up to the Throttle body, (I have the 3.9L v6) so we can share parts, but the Monte SS is different. It uses a different filter. As far as the MAF (air flow sensor) and the rest goes... your guess is as good as mine. Bottom line? the intake won't be long enough, allthough this is easily corrected with some simple modification. The big thing, is the filter itselfusing a different housing, the different housings are probably going to mount differently, so some, if not all of the mounting points for the V8's intake will need to be modified, or completely redone.

Your best bet is to see if you can remove the air box, then cut out everything except whatis needed to install the electronic modules. Then use some straight plastic tubing, and a K&N Universal cone filter. Some strapping to keep it from bouncing around too much, and there, you have a engine compartment intake (NOT CAI)

To get a true CAI, or at least to keep the hot engine compartment air out of it would be a LOT more time consuming and a lot more fabrication.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 PM

Yeah i hear ya? I'm looking at making my own compartment, just wondering if a guy can order the parts seperately? Like purchase the the heat shield and various other parts that go with it, Like I am going to do what you suggested, attach tubing and filter. But i would really like to take advantage of the Heat shield shown here, so the air is not as hot....anyways I'm going to do some calling in the AM and see if heat shield can be purcahed as a part, replacement part?? Thanks for the info guy's, I'll keep you posted on the adventure...lol

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM

So I purchased an intake filter from shop, then got some exhaust pipe for the intake, Removed factory box and filter, now i just removed the top, have not figured out how to relocate modules. Then I made a heat shield out of tin, and used some pipe insulation to cover the edge's. Anyways I tried to take a good pic but batteries died on me and only have this one shot. Check out the pic at top of post.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 AM

two questions:
are the modules ok sitting out in the open (without the airbox surrounding them)?
how does it sound?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Looks Better than I imagined! I'm a bit tired at this point (1 AM.... lol) but is there any kind of support to the heavier exhaust tube? You might want to strap, or even glue it down somehow to prevent excessive bouncing and such. The smooth tubing will definitely be an improvement, and being a harder material it should let a whole bunch more intake sound out. (you'll hear the whine of the roller cam at higher RPM's, and intake growl at lower RPM)

I noticed this just with my K&N Stock replacement drop-in, and was impressed.

The modules sitting in the open probably won't be a big issue, True they may have fins on the tops, but I seriously doubt they produce much heat. They probably only had them put inside the intake so that they weren't in plain view. If you really get down to looking at different parts of the car you will notice little hidden electronic stuff EVERYWHERE.. I was appalled by the amount of relays and crap this car relies on, but that's pretty much the way things go today.

If you want to bother with it, some kind of air sheild between the space after the radiator/AC condensor and the intake wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't be a huge issue.

When you took apart the intake box did you notice if there is any sort of tubing leading into the filter box? I'm pretty sure it's just a hole that points towards the front end, away from the radiator, etc. But I wasn't positive. It didn't look like there were any kinds of ducting leading to the air box, but it was dark when I was poking around replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N one.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:54 AM

It actually sounds deeper, you can't really hear the sucking when you first fire up the car, but when on the road and accelerating you can hear it, kinda like a growling sound, plus when accelerating in the old setup the car would gasp for air, not no more am able to pick up speed without gasping for air. As for the modules i don't really know at this point, which is why i'm like some feedback on the setup. For the exhaust tubing and the support, the heat shield has a hole cut in it about half inch bigger than the tube, andI used foam pipe surrouneding for thehole which holds the exhaust tube in place perfect. And yes for the old airbox, there is a tube attached inside about 5 inches long, it does coem off which opens the boxx up a bit. Youd do have to take off the top of airbox to get at the tube inside. The thing is still a work in progress I will get up more pictures and hopefully take out the bottom of old airbox and try find a place to mount the modules. For the intake after driving around there is a noticable tempurature differnce, in engine bay, the air is super hot, in the intake part the air is much cooler making the tin heat shield sure keeps out alot of the hot air and I am quite impressed with it.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:04 PM

I have an idea! (yea I've been known to come up with a few here and there) If you go to the K&N website and look up the part for your CAI (for the 3.5L), its not listed, right? Above the vehicle year,make and model, there is a link that says "No product for your vehicle? Recommend one..." - if we get enough people to recommend a CAI kit for the 3.5, maybe they will realize that there is actually a demand for it. We could possibly enlist the help of our MCF bretheren to petition on our behalf, and recommend that they put a CAI on the market for our engine application. I think that the same CAI could be used for the 3.9 as well - just like FlynhghR said the throttle bodies are the same in both the 3.5 and 3.9. What do you think?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 PM

here is the link
http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

Would you like to suggest a new product? Let the K&N R&D department know what products you would like to see for your car, truck, motorcycle, personal watercraft, ATV, etc. We will use your feedback to help us decide which products to manufacture next. If we release a new product for your vehicle we will send you an e-mail notification.

Quick Reply: Another CAI question