Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Default Air Intake Question

I have been looking at getting an aftermarket intake for my 95 Z34. I have been looking at the Weapon-R Dragon Ram Airs. Does anyone know if this would be decent or have a better recommendation?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll just suck in hot air but it will sound cool and look good. I say make your own fender well intake if anything.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM

im not to familiar with intakes but im slowly turning my car into a show car, not really going to race going to put parts on but like i said mostly show. How would the Ram Air effect the performance with basic driving?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

My car was fine with it on, youll love the sound. I have a FWI now, and I honestly dont feel a difference. With a ram air you might have more knock which doesnt matter on an NA car, and you might even run a few degrees hotter when your not moving. I honestly dont think its that bad. Carbureted engines breath hot air too lol.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by crzy1051
I have been looking at getting an aftermarket intake for my 95 Z34. I have been looking at the Weapon-R Dragon Ram Airs. Does anyone know if this would be decent or have a better recommendation?

Link?

#1 I highly doubt they are actually "ram air"- in order for that to happen, the air ducting has to be exposed to an open part of the front of the vehicle; assuming this is just a cheap piece of metal tube with a filter on it that sits in the engine bay- then its not "ram air" by any means- unless you mean the radiator fan blowing super hot radiator wash air into it is "ram air" lol

#2 I bet its a cheap ebay intake, and I also bet the filter is exposed to the underhood engine bay heat (namely the hot radiator wash mentioned above; not to mention the heat from the nearby exhaust crossover pipe thats only inches away). So your car is going to be just as slow as it was before. Sure you might gain a little power from ditching the airbox and all the restrictive tubing and sound dampening parts, and by running a filter with less restriction; but the tradeoff is- the air filter will be sucking in super hot engine bay air (ever open your hood after the car has been running?) compared to cold air from behind the headlight like the stock setup does. This will more than negate the lack of restriction because your IAT's will go through the roof- especially sitting at a stop light.

The downside is 5th gens are a massive pain to do a cold air intake on- you can't just run an extension hose from the throttle body to a filter in the fenderwell like the 6th gens can- you have the battery and windshield washer tank in the way. For the same reason, no one makes a CAI box either- too little space, and no other GM cars had the same layout where they could use the same box across multiple platforms.

Your only decent options IMO are to build your own CAI box to enclose a cone filter so it only sucks from behind the light; or do something else with the battery (turn it sideways or relocate to the trunk, both of which are a pain) and run your FWI tubing through the opening into the fender.

If its just going to be a show car, I'd probably just leave the stock airbox and leave the hood closed- or if you want to pop the hood; spend the money polishing up the upper intake manifold to a mirror or similar underhood appearance mods.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM

http://www.weapon-r.com/products/182...ram-air-kit-ii

theres the actual makers link for it

Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM

The Ram Air kit comes with the Ram Air Velocity Stack, Flexible 3" Hose and Mounting hardware.
So basically, all that $55 "kit" comes with is some 3" flexible tube and a couple crappy clamps? You do know you can buy flexible tubing like that at the hardware store for a fraction of that price right?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM

thats just for the ram air kit. The actual intake is another 135. From what i have heard these intakes are horrible. You would be much better off to buy a K & N filter and make your own.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Yeah, those things arent that great. You're much better off making your own. I did it on a car a long time ago when I had no knowedge of cars what so ever. Its probably the eaiest thing (upgrade) you can do to a car. And i made a real CAI for about 60 bucks.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

If you are gonna show it, cut a hole in the top of your intake box, and the glue some plexiglass under the hole. Run some better looking tubing to the throttle body and then mabye put some cool designs in the filter box, mabye even get a cone filter to fit inside of the box.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Question