Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Default RE: air intake

i finished making the air intake tube and i took out the old air box out of it check it out, all i need now is a heat shield/ insulation, which i will hopefully get from a hardware store for cheap. take a look
I hate to say it, but IMO you just made it worse. Ok, you will now get colder intake temperatures- especially if you build an insulating wall- but you made the system much more restrictive.

Here are my reasons why:

A) Look up at your first picture at the size of the factory intake tube- it is roughly the same size as your throttle body. Now look at your new pictures- it is obvious the piping is much smaller because you had to put a reducer on the throttle body just to make it fit. Decreasing the ID of the intake from stock is going to hurt performance.

B) Now lets look at bend angles. Obviously, the greater the bend angle- the worse the flow. A 90* bend is the worst case scenario to have in piping like that. The stock tube had somewhere around a 30-40* bend in it. Your new system looks like it not only has a 90* bend, but also a 22.5* bend as well. If you look at your first pic- that stock tubing was already almost pointed in the direction you needed it to go, there is no need to add a whole bunch of extra bends.

C) Last is the overall length of tubing. Obviously the longer the pipe- the more restrictive it is to flow. In your first pic- you had maybe 6-8" of pipe, and the filter was just about far enough away to be able to build your own insulating box in the corner. Your new system looks like it almost has 20" of tubing in it.

If you want my suggestion, and your intent is to build a CAI box of your own- get some pipe to match the size of the TB (3.5-4" I dunno exactly on the L36)- with either a 22.5* or 45* bend pretty much right on the throttle body. I think the 22.5* puts the filter heading towards the fenderwell- a 45* should aim it towards your headlight opening (your box should be open to both for inlet air anyways)- and then you should only need a 4-6" piece of pipe on that angle fitting to get the filter where you need it to build a box around it.

Thats just my .02

Old 12-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i agree. cut down the tubing a bit, little too long. the L36 has a 4" TB opening. You want the inside of that tubing to be as smooth as possible, so limit down the pieces and go for one or 2 longer pieces, and you should be able to have one of them mandrel bent to a nice 45 degree corner. the angle you have now really hurts the air velocity, causing turbulence. air virtually stops at that corner, then resumes again.

I even think you could do a spectre pipe setup from your local kragen. get a few clamps, a couple rubber fittings, and couple pieces of pipe. should run you about 45 bucks.

then you'll need a nice heatshield, but make sure its mounted good. thats the reason i like the K and N FIPK kit. 1 piece throttle body connection, huge 9" oval cone, a great heatshield that actually connects to a block mount nut to support the entire tube and heatshield, so it never sags, let alone move. stays right where you want it all the time.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 PM

I made this other tube, and bought a bigger filter. I used 4 inch pvc pipes and a thermoplastic that i got from home depot. this **** was cheap too. check it out

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Thats 1000x better- the stuff you used is plastic roof flashing I believe. All I can really see that could make it better is to epoxy a piece of plastic to the top to help it seal too- but it looks veryfunctional as is!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM

much better now its tyme for some paint.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

YA BUDDY! Great CAI forcheap!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 AM

so once you take the PCM? out what you do with teh pieces?...dont they come apart?......i saw somethign you need a tray where you put all that and how?......

by the way your CAI. looks good im gonna do mine ..jsut need some info of what to do with the PCM

maybe even pictures if you have any?

Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM

so once you take the PCM? out what you do with teh pieces?...dont they come apart?......i saw somethign you need a tray where you put all that and how?......

by the way your CAI. looks good im gonna do mine ..jsut need some info of what to do with the PCM

maybe even pictures if you have any?
You throw out all the airbox pieces (or save them if you plan to resell the car).

With the pcm, you just secure it down however you can. I've seen stuff as ghetto and cheap as bungee cords up to $100+ polished aluminum trays.

IMO, this is the option I prefer:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/pcm-tray-p-151.html

Its an OEM GM parts out of newer Blazers (iirc), so many have got them at junkyards for almost nothing.

All you do is set it in place, run a couple sheet metal screws through the holes in the tray down into the metal of the car, and the pcm just clips in. Its stupid simple and clean with that route.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 PM

thanks alot for the info......so those little trays that come out.they look like medal plates?.what you do with those ones?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: manny

I took out all the plastic parts out and put them in storage, theirs really no need for them any more when u have a CAI. Unless you plan to sell the car like somebody else mentioned.

Now the PCM is just resting there underneath the air filter, I was going to buy a tray for it, but i noticed the pcm doesnt really move cuz the plastic heat shield holds it in place so i just saved myself a few bucks and left it there.

Quick Reply: air intake