Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Advice on Ordering Northstar TB

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Advice on Ordering Northstar TB

I was planning purchasing the Northstar (75mm) TB for my Monte Carlo SS Supercharged. I do have a ported M90 ready to install as well.

My question is, would I also need the Northstar spacer as well? I'm assuming so but wanted to confirm. Anything else I need to get to make it an easy swap/install from my stock one?

https://zzperformance.com/3800/air-i...ottle-body-kit

Last question actually, and I've read that in order to make the most of a ported inlet, is to also utilize a ported & machined intake. Thoughts on getting this as well?

https://zzperformance.com/3800/air-i...d-lower-intake

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by HKnux5112; 05-09-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Sorry I can't help with the N*. I've honestly never done one and I run a LS TB on mine.

Originally Posted by HKnux5112
Last question actually, and I've read that in order to make the most of a ported inlet, is to also utilize a ported & machined intake. Thoughts on getting this as well?

https://zzperformance.com/3800/air-i...d-lower-intake

Thank you for your help.
I assume you mean a ported outlet on the blower, not inlet?

I don't think it's worth it to open the inlet of the LIM unless you've got an IC. The stock inlet size is more than enough for flow, especially considering the air is pressurized.
​​​​​​
The reason they say that is because they probably cut out the H bar when porting it to work better with an IC.

If you're concerned about it, just cut the inlet to your lower intake yourself. Just put on a stock gasket, trace inside the bead on the gasket, and cut it out with the tool of your choice (air grinder with a cutoff wheel, jigsaw, etc).

Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

10 years on the forum, that's dedication.

Alright, I most likely won't be getting an intercooler (just too expensive) so no need for the ported lower intake.

If anyone has purchased the Northstar TB, would I really need to buy the ZPP 1.00 PCM tuned or can it wait a week or so while I schedule for a professional tuning session?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE]10 years on the forum, that's dedication. [/QUOTE​​​​​​]

Yeah, been messing with montes for a long time. Had over 10k posts on the old mymonte board before it closed and I came here.

If anyone has purchased the Northstar TB, would I really need to buy the ZPP 1.00 PCM tuned or can it wait a week or so while I schedule for a professional tuning session?
Again, I'm not a N* expert as I've never done one, but I think you'd have issues for 2 reasons:
-You're not going to be able to get into it at all. PE mode (ie reducing AFR) kicks in at a given TPS. On a bigger TB, it's going to flow more air at a lower TPS and thus could start making boost while the car is still targeting 14.7.
-What are you doing about a MAF? I assume you're converting to some external sensor. You're not going to want to run with the wrong MAF table.

Why not just wait a week to install it? It would be silly to pay for a Pcm for a week if you're going to pay to have it returned.
​​​​​