Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

5.3l what mufflers to get

Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Default 5.3l what mufflers to get

just having trouble piking a muffler so far i c there are about 3 choices the magnaflow cat back flowmaster 40's and then the super 44's the magna are real deep but nnot very loud the 40's sond just like my 3800 and the 44's areloud but dry sounding and suggestions and i here ppl talking about changing there down pipe what does this mean? thanks 4 the help

Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Default RE: 5.3l what mufflers to get

there are about 3 choices
There are way more than just 3 choices- any exhaust shop can make a catback, and you should be able to find at least one fairly local that can do mandrel bent.

and i here ppl talking about changing there down pipe what does this mean?
Ok- so imagine your two cylinder heads- each one has an exhaust manifold coming off of it- right? The two manifolds connect together at the rear of the engine, and then a pipe runs down from the rear of the engine- goes through a catalytic converter and bolts up to your "cat back" exhaust.

This piece of pipe (including the cat) is called your downpipe.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

coming from a man who bought a cat-back system, don't. they are ridulously expensive for what you're getting.

i say swing by a muffler shop after picking out the type of muffler you want and tell the guy thats what you want put on. if he can't get them, find a shop that can. personally, i say chop those mufflers off and have straight pipes run

Old 09-22-2008, 04:19 PM

but u guys have any recomendations magna, 40's, 44's or straight pipes

Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM

If you zip code in your profile is correct.
Please do me a favor and CAN the idea of a muffler shop cat back.
Road salt if you drive that in the winter will render it useless in under 3 years and since it rots away, so will your warranty on the rest of the exhaust.
The Moss deal only applies to aftermarket, not Joe Shmoe muffler shop.

Yes there expensive, but the only other option to cover your behind is replacing the factory ones with stainless aftermarkets.

Sound is up to you.
Me I wouldn't accept a Blowmaster if it was given to me.
Its not a performance muffler, its a echo chamber.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 AM

Please do me a favor and CAN the idea of a muffler shop cat back.
Road salt if you drive that in the winter will render it useless in under 3 years and since it rots away, so will your warranty on the rest of the exhaust.
You do realize that you can buy the same stainless piping that they make catbacks with- and have a shop bend it themselves right? If you find a shop with a mandrel bender- chances are they have stainless available- at least for order.

Also, I don't think I'd personally bother replacing the whole exhaust- the power difference isn't worth it IMO, and the best route with all that brand new stock stainless piping would be just to get new stainless mufflers. You get the better sound for a fraction of the price of a catback.

The Moss deal only applies to aftermarket, not Joe Shmoe muffler shop.
I don't understand what this means. The "Moss deal" means they can't refuse to warranty your radio, your power steering pump, your left taillight, etc etc just because you put an aftermarket exhaust on.

It doesn't matter if you buy a catback from a company online or have a shop make it- it will no longer be a warranted part from the dealer (unless you buy a GM made exhaust), but it will not effect the warranty on anything else as I said above. That shouldn't make a bit of difference which way you go.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 AM

First off, its a rarity to find a shop that uses and has mandrel bending devices for 409 stainless steel. That will hard enough on its own.

Secondly I use to own a auto forum for a number of years and did some heavy research into the warranty rulings dealing with aftermarket.

Say he goes and has a exhaust done.
The warranty on emissions WILL be effected. That warranty states 8 years, 80,000 on emissions parts. That includes cat and related parts, meaning the whole exhaust.

The Magnuson Moss act has a little over looked provision in it that applies heavily.
These so called aftermarket parts MUST CARRY A CARB#. Tested by the CARB board to met or exceed OEM in every shape or form.
Has your local shop gone through such lengths? The dealer can and most likely will argue you changed the perimeters of exhaust flow enough that it has created a problem.
Saw this happen many a time by people from boards fabbing up their own stuff while a car is under warranty. No it doesn't effect the rest of the car, but it effects anything that can be tied to the exhaust and exhaust type problems.

No the dealer still doesn't warranty the aftermarket part, but your cat and 02 sensors would be.
Even the bend delete pipe ruins the cat warranty and rear 02. No carb #, well.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM

First off, its a rarity to find a shop that uses and has mandrel bending devices for 409 stainless steel. That will hard enough on its own.
We had a shop in town that had a mandrel bender- they just didn't keep any stainless in stock. You could buy your own online, or they could order through their supplier. Maybe this is unusual... I dunno

The Magnuson Moss act has a little over looked provision in it that applies heavily.
These so called aftermarket parts MUST CARRY A CARB#. Tested by the CARB board to met or exceed OEM in every shape or form.
Has your local shop gone through such lengths? The dealer can and most likely will argue you changed the perimeters of exhaust flow enough that it has created a problem.
I looked heavily into the magnaflowcatback for that car, and I cannot find anywhere that they have a carb EO # for it. Honestly, I've never heard anyone run into the problem of not having a carb # outside of CA.

A local shop can't get a carb # for a 1 off exhaust- thats practicallyimpossible.

I honestly don't think there will be a difference between buying an aftermarket catback w/ no carb # and having your own exhaust done.

If you're that worried about it- do like I said above, and just replace the mufflers. That way you leave all the stock piping and just change the sound like you wanted. I bet the power difference between that and a catback is zip- and there is no way a dealer will void a warranty on your cat/O2 because you changed mufflers out back.

Even if they did for some ridiculous reason- how much is a high flow cat (or cat delete if you dont have emissions)- and a pair of new O2 sensors online, if they all did happen to go bad at some point?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM

California set the standard.
NY, which is were the OP zip code locates him at follows the lead California has. Mass and a few other states also have adopted this standard.
Believe me Magnaflow has a CARB # otherwise you can't sell them.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

coming from a man who bought a cat-back system, don't. they are ridulously expensive for what you're getting.

i say swing by a muffler shop after picking out the type of muffler you want and tell the guy thats what you want put on. if he can't get them, find a shop that can. personally, i say chop those mufflers off and have straight pipes run
i second the notion for straight pipes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3l what mufflers to get