Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

3.4 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3.4 Exhaust

Alright, so i know exhaust is an ongoing topic on here and this may irritate some people that im posting this but im having a hard time finding a muffler thats going to give me a nice muscular sound, but i dont want it to sound ricy or too loud. i want a low rumble at idle and a nice muscle sound at throttle. im having some trouble finding decent videos on youtube to find a nice sounding exhaust because of the clip quality, if anyone has any suggestions or can find some videos of what im looking for, it would be greatly appreciated.

also im doing a ubend delete with highflow cat, if that changes anything. thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

I had flowmaster 40's on mine and it sounded pretty good.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM

well i just got an exhaust done on my 3400, they put the performance "cherry bombs" for the 5th gen on my 02. its got a good deep tone at idle, then that good echo sound at higher rpms, not even close to ricey. im gonna probably have my pics and clips up tomarrow(just got my car back today)if you wanna know my exact setup for my exhaust let me know or find my post on it. im not sure which one it is (i think its "did i get ripped off?"

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Hey I have a 2003 LS with the 3.4 also, and I got exhaust done recently and am very happy with the outcome. I went to a reputable shop with a owner that i actually knew and first they just put a Flowmaster 40 series delta flow. I started it up and noticed a very little difference, so I got them to cut out the resonator and the u-bend, and then i noticed a difference. I also got a resonated chrome tip to keep the high pitched RPMs down. Well I was fairly happy with this setup but I wanted a bit more noise, but after a month my tranny felt like it was slipping, so we took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it to the catylic converter, so got a new one put in and instantly it was way way louder, at idle it sounds and has the deep low rumble of a V8 and can be heard over my buddies straight piped f350 diesel at idle, and when your on the gas it has a really nice low rumble. People can defintely hear it inside their cars, cuz they look lol. But this setup is completely awesome IMO, i only paid just over 300 for everything. and it sounds great, but I think im gonna order a SLP bullet muffler and see how that sounds and maybe swap it out.
but i have nothing but good things to say about the flowmaster 40 delta and a resonator delete and u-bend delete.
If you have any questions let me know

Old 03-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a Flowmaster Deltaflow 40 series on my 3100 (basically the same motor as your 3400) and I loved the sound of it.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i was looking to just swap out the muffler and tip for the flowmaster super 40, then a little after go with the cat and ubend, i think my cats getting clogged too because sometimes it feels like the trans is slipping, but not all the time and i only have 78k miles on it

Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 AM

when i was doing highway speed and put it to the floor my car would just rev to 4200 and stand still, like it was in neutral. They hooked it to the scanner and it said intake/exhaust or whatever so they checked the intake and it was good, so it had to be the cat. The old one was clogged right up when they cut it out, and as soon as they started it, it was way louder. And as soon as I drove it out it was a totally different car, it had 2 times the power it ever had.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM

well since you are on the topic of cats, i got 110k on my monte and im wondering if i should worry about mine being clogged cause the car just doesnt have the power it should.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

I would definitely get it checked out, it cost me 250$ and it was the best investment into the car i have made. it was a totally different car! so much power, i would defintely get it cut out and see what they say. Your check engine light may or may not flash on and off.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM

slp loudmouth. i love mine an it coulnt be confused with rice if u were deaf

Quick Reply: 3.4 Exhaust