Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2000 SS Resonator delete help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Default 2000 SS Resonator delete help

I need to know the stock outside diameter of the pipe on the first arrow (After the bolt on flange and before the resonator) and need to know the inside diameter of where the second arrow is (right after the resonator) i think they both might be flanged out a bit from the rest of the exhaust but im not sure..i would appreciate any help thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 PM

fyi, it's gonna sound like poop if you rev it up

Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 AM

I been hearing more than not that it doesn't make that much of a difference..i have two flowmasters on it and it probably got a half a tone louder then stock..do you know of any aftermarket resonators that will give it a good tone? im not looking for the crackling and popping but just a good rumble

Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Something like a round Magnaflow muffler maybe? Many different sizes available (diameter and length). Should get you somewhere between straight pipe and stock in terms of sound.

I'm planning to do this to our Monte at some point, but haven't done so yet. So I'm not speaking from experience, just throwing out an idea.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM

I have dual flow 40's and deleted resonator. Its my opinion that removing the resonator does little or nothing to the sound of the car. Don't know if the ppl who bash removing it cause of the sound actually have done it or not, but I have noticed no difference. Not worth the money or time in my opinion. I think the only reason to remove it is if it rusts through, then just throw some pipe in place.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I deleted my resonator and put just straight pipe in its place and i noticed a difference. It kinda has a honda type sound if you listen clearly which i hate. When its warm and i rev it the car seems to pop a little also but it doesnt bother me, its definately louder but not loud enough to bother neighbors

Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimbo7
fyi, it's gonna sound like poop if you rev it up
I removed mine and added a hi-flow cat that runs into Magnaflow mufflers... The difference in sound is that it actually got a little louder and the deeper rumble from the Magna's was maintained... The sound is poop free...

Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Removed My res. Ihave s/c with 2.5" Offroad downpipe with stock Mufflers. did Not Notice Much at All.. If anything TAD louder.

Ounce Installed Offroad Downpip Ihear POP all the TIME I miss the POP sound. Cant' wait till this 3ft of SNOW MELTS!!! This 91 Buick Century Not Being Soo Great LOL...

Last edited by Steven73; 03-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by DRuben
I deleted my resonator and put just straight pipe in its place and i noticed a difference. It kinda has a honda type sound if you listen clearly which i hate. When its warm and i rev it the car seems to pop a little also but it doesnt bother me, its definately louder but not loud enough to bother neighbors
I had to remove my resonator because it had rusted through. I was driving it for quite awhile like this and actually kind of like the sound of it when it started up. However, just in idle it sounded really goofy and i was asked what was wrong with my car

I replaced with pipe and the throaty sound i had is minimal and i can only really hear it when i am accelerating. My mechanic and roommate said they notice a difference when i drive by them but not really any louder.

I hate the raspy sound at RPMS and i have always hated ricers and their crappy exhaust and was hoping to avoid that sound. I am told ill only hear it when there is no load on the engine so that makes it a bit better.

Id like to hear some flowmaster 40s in person or magnaflows. Most of the youtube videos i have found are low quality.

Last edited by Phobos; 03-07-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by DRuben
I am experiencing the same problem as many of you who have posted about a rotted resonator with holes and leaks.

My uncle is a mechanic and said he would put a straight pipe in for me ($50) and there would be no sound change (supposedly, he does speak from experience tho and also is hard of hearing lol).

He said another option would be replacing the resonator with an aftermarket one ($100 installed).

Currently my exhaust is stock and I've always wanted a borla exhaust with some nice deep rumble. I have a friend who wants to dump a brand new system for my car on me for only $400 (plus my uncles install).

Is now the time to upgrade? Should I just straight pipe it? Exchange it? Idk what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2000 SS Resonator delete help