Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   2 weeks from installation... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/2-weeks-installation-8257/)

tommypro 03-03-2008 05:03 PM

2 weeks from installation...

I want to get an exhaust system put onto my Intimidator but just wanted to get some suggestions first... I know this may be highly repititious of previous posts and may tick some people off as a result, if so, I am sorry! I would rather err on the side of caution and I couldn't find an answer to my question with the "Search" feature here...

Anyway, I want to head down to Omaha over Spring Break March 16th-24th to get an exhaust system installed. While searching videos for the sound I want I found an '03 Jeff Gordon Monte with a sound I found appealing. With the same engine size, I figured it would be a good model. (Video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJpv2OLDksM)
In the video description he says he has "Flowmaster 40's with Flowmaster 3" exhaust tips, a downpipe from ZZ Performance, a retuned PCM and a K&N intake." I have the K&N Intake and will be looking at PCM Mods a bit later, but for now was considering the following:
3" downpipe
High-flow Cat
U-Bend Delete
Flowmaster 40's
and maybe a resonator delete? glass packs for sound?

Thoughts? Better systems/parts? Any support mods I would need? Headers? And how much should it run me, having the system installed? (Have a warranty, so mods must be done by ASE Certified mechanics for now)

The sound I am going for is that old-school muscle car sound. I like the '03 Jeff Gordon's system and cannot stand ricey tuners so I want to avoid as much of the tin sound as I can! Whatever you guys can tell me, I would be very appreciative!

Cowboy6622 03-03-2008 05:17 PM

RE: 2 weeks from installation...

sounds good... (pun intended)

that should give you the sound you want. the stock cats give you a kind of ricey sound.. replacing it will help with that. sounds like a plan to me.

God_Bot 03-03-2008 08:31 PM

Sounds like a good set up, I like it

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622
the stock cats give you a kind of ricey sound.. replacing it will help with that.
Really? I've never heard that before, but if it's true then I'll be taking that damn thing out sometime. Hell my sister is a pretty good welder, I could get here to do it for me if I let her drive it for a day afterwards. ;)

I know you were talking about it, but did you ever take yours out Duane?

Cowboy6622 03-03-2008 08:46 PM

no.... the guy who inspected cars and cleared them easy.. his wife got in some trouble and they skipped town.... so i got to keep ti legal for awhile. maybe i'll get a high flow cat one of these years :)

God_Bot 03-03-2008 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

no.... the guy who inspected cars and cleared them easy.. his wife got in some trouble and they skipped town.... so i got to keep ti legal for awhile. maybe i'll get a high flow cat one of these years :)
Ah, that's no fun.

I don't have to worry about any inspections or anything so that's not a big problem for me.

tommypro 03-03-2008 09:13 PM

ya, i don't have to worry about inspections in sd, either... and when i move to cali for grad school, i'll just keep my registration out of mn, if need be...

seriously, though, i won't have any problems with that setup? and what should i consider for the cat? i see a lot of people on here talking up magnaflow...

i guess i am just confused because this is the first time i have ever had to really consider putting on an exhaust system... (old cars weren't sexy enough to justify it)

vita 03-04-2008 01:50 AM

you might want to do a res delete too. interior noise is not a problem at ALL for mine, and I dropped mine out and love it. It does help with the growl, well, a lot!

04 Intimidator 03-04-2008 03:43 AM

ORIGINAL: tommypro
3" downpipe
High-flow Cat
U-Bend Delete
Flowmaster 40's
and maybe a resonator delete? glass packs for sound?

This is actually a very good setup. I'm not a fan of the resonator delete because I drive alot and when I have passengers we catch up all the time and with the resonator out it made too much noise on the inside (drone). Everyone had to keep their voices somewhat raised.

Also on your own you need to turn up the stereo. Now years ago I was always thumping but it's getting old hat and I'm turning it down a bit. Neighbors like that as well.

Even still though people come in my car and turn down the radio for me because my hearing is bad and that is my comfort level. With the resonator out is was just worse.

Cowboy6622 03-04-2008 06:24 AM

teh magnaflow is a good high flow cat..... i say go for it. great set up

tommypro 03-04-2008 07:15 PM

so, more forum and web cruising later... (it's midterms and i prefer procrastination to studying) i was looking at ZZPerformance's website and was wondering about the downpipe, high-flow cat, u-bend delete piece they offer. if i were to go that route, it looks that that would solve MOST of this mod question up to the flowmaster 40 mufflers, right?
https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...&catid=110
with that, would i want to do the bolt-in or weld-in 3" and add the rear O2 extension? what else would i need to do besides tell the exhaust shop where to order this from?

04 Intimidator 03-04-2008 09:05 PM

Bolt in. It's about an hour long job with gathering tools and cleanup.

MyIntimidator 03-04-2008 09:19 PM

It sounds good to me although my future Exaust Mod Im just going with the downpipe and U bend delete and the flowmaster 40s. I kind of like my quiet car I have had my fair share of loud throaty Camaros and Firebird. That I kinda of like my quiet sleeper V6. These boys in this college town here drive around their mustangs thinkin there hot not knowing my car can kick the holy living snot out of thier obnoxiously loud 5.0.

tommypro 03-04-2008 09:39 PM

i would LOVE to be able to do it myself, but i have a warranty so i need ASE Certified folks to do all the service and modifications to my car (it's bs i can't change my oil or brake pads or anything... BUT it's nice not having to worry about any MAJOR malfunctions!)... so the only thing that the time factor does for me is with the labor costs... that considered, there isn't any noticeable difference on reliability or performance between the bolt in and weld in versions? i would think it less likely to break a weld than a bolt...

and i have decided against the res delete... i don't need that much noise and, like someone said in another thread, i need to be able to talk with anyone i get to sit shotgun in this ladykiller! ;)
besides, i can always go back and get the res delete done later if i decide that i need more volume (and if i decide to Dynamat my interior)! as far as going from the ZZP piece back to the Flow 40s, nothing else needed there that the shop can't fab up, right?

and, nate, here i see a lot of ppl sportin body and exhaust mods but nothing in the way of performance, so i want to catch their attention andTHEN take advantage of their ignorance (thank you, Intimidator, for not STATING you are sc'd!) lots of civics, cavaliers and others with body kits and fart cans... i want 'em! same with those dime-a-dozen mustangs... bring 'em on! and those guys with the stock novas at Z'kota? i want them to turn and look!

tommypro 03-05-2008 04:40 PM

need help ordering!!!

so when placing the order (I am ordering the parts myself and bringing them to the shop to avoid markup) I will want to go what route?

ZZPerformance downpipe, high-flow cat and U-bend delete...
ZZP Downpipes
Model: 3 inch bolt in With cat (+ $100)
Option 2: Add rear O2 extension for 04+ (+ $20)
Option 3: Add manifold to DP gasket (+ $10.99)
Option 4: Send me a prepaid return label

Flowmaster 40 mufflers... confused! what product number am I lookin for?

tommypro 03-05-2008 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tommypro

ZZPerformance downpipe, high-flow cat and U-bend delete...
ZZP Downpipes
Model: 3 inch bolt in With cat (+ $100)
Option 2: Add rear O2 extension for 04+ (+ $20)
Option 3: Add manifold to DP gasket (+ $10.99)
Option 4: Send me a prepaid return label

right?

Cowboy6622 03-06-2008 06:30 AM

yeah....

i'm not a flowmaster kind of guy... i don't know where to get flowmaster muffelrs . most exhaust shops probably ahve them in stock.

try www.summitracing.com , they migth have Slowmasters :)

tommypro 03-06-2008 03:10 PM

k, thank you! i will be making the calls this weekend to place the orders for next week! (so now ONE week from installation!) :Di can't wait... the only thing is going home over spring break! (dad's cattle are NOT going to like the F40s!)

i'm just going to call the shop and see if they can't get the F40s for me since they'll be fab'ing up the rest from the cat-back!

06MCLTZ 03-06-2008 03:44 PM

I'm a Flowmaster guy and love them, they are loud tho. But I am upgrading to Borla mufflers in the summer.

tommypro 03-06-2008 05:13 PM

1 week from installation...

i'm getting anxious... went to the shop and they're going to order the FM super 40s and fab/bend everything from the cat back... i'm ordering the ZZP downpipe tomorrow and should have everything in by the end of next week! (just in time for spring break!)

i'll post before and after audio and after videos for y'all as soon as i get it done! (i'll use the school's media center camera)

i'm so excited!

God_Bot 03-06-2008 08:12 PM

RE: 1 week from installation...

Mind me asking how much they plan on charging you for this?

Nocturnx 03-06-2008 08:31 PM

You will want the 3" 304 stainless bolt-in downpipe w/ cat. Gaskets can be reused. You won't need a O2 simulator or extension. Get the prepaid return label. Also make sure you have a code clearer unless you don't mind the check engine light, you will be throwing a P0420 code because of the high-flow cat. I have to clear mine every week.

tommypro 03-06-2008 09:49 PM

guy today said about $400/$450 for the mufflers, pipe from the cat back and labor... add to that the cost of the ZZP downpipe and i would be lookin at around $550/$575. for the whole kit'n'kaboodle... plus $50 moreif i go with the 304 like Nocturnx just said.

tommypro 03-06-2008 10:01 PM

call out to Intimidators and the like...

Dan, (and Alex, too...)

since you had a similar setup with the 3" dp, etc. i was wondering how much the low-end torque suffers with that? would the 2.5" give me a little better torque? i don't plan on going too far into the build beyond, maybe, a smaller pulley (10 lbs boost) so i don't think i would really need that extra .5" would i? not if the torque is going to suffer, anyway... from a stop light, that's what makes the difference! did either of you experience a loss in torque w/ the 3"?

...also, Wayne and Josh, if you could weigh in on this? i know you, Wayne, have done a lot with your Intimidator and Josh, your Tony Stewart is essentially the same Monte, so both your inputs would be appreciated!

tommypro 03-06-2008 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

You will want the 3" 304 stainless bolt-in downpipe w/ cat. Gaskets can be reused. You won't need a O2 simulator or extension. Get the prepaid return label. Also make sure you have a code clearer unless you don't mind the check engine light, you will be throwing a P0420 code because of the high-flow cat. I have to clear mine every week.
AutoZone would clear that for me, too, though. how much would a code clearer cost?

Cowboy6622 03-07-2008 06:32 AM

I've honestly looked into one myself.... they are around $100-175, depending on which one you get. Seems like I've heard of them as low as $50

lav74 03-07-2008 11:16 AM

I have never gotten a code since I've been using a hi-flow cat in 2004. I have had a 3" DP and no resonator since 2004. Some cars toss a code, some are fine. It all depends on the make-up of the casting on the heads and manifolds, and the tolerance of the rear O2.

3" DP is the way to go on a SC setup. You're choking your setup with a 2.5", and making it next to impossible to run knock free with a smaller pulley. You will lose no torque (at least not enough to feel it by the seat of your pants).

I was on a 3.4" pulley, TOG headers, 3" DP, no resonator, hi-flow cat, and magnaflows, and I was able to burn 2 wheels and lay a patch as long as I wanted to.... we already have too much torque to keep traction, so a slight losswon't affect your 0-60... it's a driver's race from the light with the power we have. As soon as you drop pulley sizes (with the proper mods), you'll have 20-30 more wtq anyways, so don't worry about it.

tommypro 03-07-2008 02:16 PM

Thanks, Rob!

the 3.4" pulley is how much boost? i am only looking to size down originally without having to swap out the manifold for headers... (not enough money for that until AFTER grad school)

also, what are you running from the cat back? 2.5" or 3" pipe? your magnaflows have what size in/out?

tommypro 03-07-2008 02:34 PM

also, when i do this (sorry to bring this up [:-]) will i still have enough back pressure/exhaust scavenging left if i go as follows:

3" dp
high-flow cat
u-bend delete
res delete (decided i don't mind the drone, i want to hear my car start!)
flowmaster super 40s

and for the pipe from the cat back, should i go 2.5" pipe or 3" pipe? (bad intersections here have rubbed my front end, may bottom out? the shop said 3" would be okay for ground clearance but recommended 2.5" pipe back...)

lav74 03-07-2008 05:35 PM

Since I prefer not to repeat myself, I'll just quote my last post to answer your question about whether to go 3" or 2.5". Take special note of the second paragraph....

ORIGINAL: lav74

I have never gotten a code since I've been using a hi-flow cat in 2004. I have had a 3" DP and no resonator since 2004. Some cars toss a code, some are fine. It all depends on the make-up of the casting on the heads and manifolds, and the tolerance of the rear O2.

3" DP is the way to go on a SC setup. You're choking your setup with a 2.5", and making it next to impossible to run knock free with a smaller pulley. You will lose no torque (at least not enough to feel it by the seat of your pants).

I was on a 3.4" pulley, TOG headers, 3" DP, no resonator, hi-flow cat, and magnaflows, and I was able to burn 2 wheels and lay a patch as long as I wanted to.... we already have too much torque to keep traction, so a slight losswon't affect your 0-60... it's a driver's race from the light with the power we have. As soon as you drop pulley sizes (with the proper mods), you'll have 20-30 more wtq anyways, so don't worry about it.
In summary, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you go with a 2.5" DP and cat... 3" from the DP to the Y. After that, you can go as small as 2 1/4", since you're splitting into 2 pipes.

I don't have Magnaflows mufflers anymore... I'm straight piped, with a big huge 3" x 30" resonator... it's all the muffling I need.

As for boost levels on a 3.4" pulley, it can range from 8psi to 12+psi... it all depends on the casting of the SC, the heads, the manifolds... you get what I'm saying... all this has an impact on cylinder pressures, heat, and resulting levels of boost in the intake manifold... every mod you change will affect your resulting boost levels... having better breathing mods from the intake to the exhaust helps the engine consume more air per cycle, and thus, can use more air, reducing the levels of boost on a given pulley size. So, to summarize this one... you never know exactly until you scan and see what your boost levels are, since EVERY engine is different, even with similar mods.

Last item, you're a smart man to dump your stock resonator... if you need to muffle your drone out, get a straight thru resonator, or a cherrybomb or glasspack. That will reduce your drone, and still keep you free flowing.

Hope that answers your questions...

tommypro 03-07-2008 09:07 PM

i'm sorry! i followed that you'd done the 3" dp but just didn't pick up on that you went 3" back... call it a blonde moment!
i was just curious b/c i know that the stock pipe shrinks further back so i didn't know, i apologize for not following the first time...
thank you for your help!

tommypro 03-10-2008 03:50 PM

things are coming together...

i just placed the order with ZZP for the 3" 304 Bolt-in and so I should have the DP within the week... as soon as it comes in, i am making the appointment at the shop and getting it done! (which should during the first part of my spring break while i am stuck in town for work to begin with)

i am excited, guys! (like i said, vid/audio clips are forthcoming)

thank you all for being so helpful! i am very appreciative of how great you guys have been and how accepting of noobs you are compared to other forums!

vita 03-10-2008 03:59 PM

RE: things are coming together...

haha, were always accepting of "noobs", because we all know weve been there. heck, I post just as many tech questions as some of the newest guys here... I have been here a while, I dont know everything! lemme know when you get those things installed... I might be heading to Sufu within the next 2 or 3 weekends!

tommypro 03-12-2008 04:09 PM

things are coming together...

The downpipe/cat/!u-bend is in transit and should be here tomorrow morning and I have the job scheduled (3" cat-back to y pipe, 2.5" after ywith Flowmaster 40s)in for this Friday... things are coming together nicely!

tommypro 03-13-2008 10:31 PM

t-minus9 hours until I drop the car at the shop for the install (yes, that means 7:30 in the morning! :(). the ZZP dp came today via UPS and i recorded a pre-work clip of a drive-by and parkedrevs... will record an "after" set once i get the car back tomorrow afternoon! i will have the files uploaded as soon as i get the video edited (after spring break) in our library. check back in a couple days after Easter to hear the new sound! God, I can't wait!

(i've listened to the before drive-bys and you almost can't hear exhaust at all... just the intake and supercharger whine! that will all change tomorrow!) ;):D

Tommy Pro

tommypro 03-14-2008 10:50 PM

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

It's done! I love it! ... it actually is quieter than I anticipated, so I am glad I did the resonator delete. I don't even have to max my stereo (which I normally do do) to cover it. As for sound, it is almost exactly what I was looking for and so I am set. (clips are coming)

tommypro 03-20-2008 09:53 PM

ONLY drawback...

the only drawback to my new exhaust is that any change that is in the cupholder vibrates and gives that metal ringing sound! (good thing i took my change holder from my '02 to put into the center console of this baby!) lovin' every minute!

RocknSS04 03-22-2008 06:01 PM

RE: ONLY drawback...

I have been throwing a P0420 code on my Intimidator SS since I put on the ZZP 3" downpipe. I think I just solved it, as I haven't thrown a code in a week. 2 weeks ago I made a swing by ZZPerformance and bought the front ceramic coated stainless power log manifold. I wanted the cross-over pipe and reap manifold also, but they were sold out. I'll have to wait on them. I put the p'log on a week ago and no code so far (knocking on wood).
As for headers, TOG is out of business, and unless you got a BIG cam, you will lose low end torque with the bigger tube Pacesetter headers. 1 3/4 vs 1 5/8 primaries. They recommended the ported rear manifold and p'log, and the crossover, all ceramic coated. Supposed to drop the underhood temps by 40 deg's! P'log is worth 8 hp.
I intend on finishing this mod, and adding a cam and 3.2" pulley t(hopefully) his summer.
I suggest you add these mods to your exhaust system for the final touch.
What ya got for an intake system? Other mods?

tommypro 03-22-2008 06:20 PM

RE: ONLY drawback...

i put the K&N intake on the first week i had my car and, if it hasn't already it is close to paying for itself already! no regrets there!

also, (knock on wood) i haven't thrown a code yet! i jut have the stock manifold in there yet going to the 3" dp with 3" back to the y-pipe where is have 2.5" flowmaster 40 in/outs... and that is ALL!
headers/etc. are a project for this summer... b/t that and subs! lots of plans... very little cash!