Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 SS Res Delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Default 06 SS Res Delete

So ive got some money set back for my 06 and heres my plan, just looking for some input, ive heard good and bad on these ideas. On the stock 06's its a 2.5 inch pipe until the Y pipe then it cuts down to a 2 inch (good job chevy), First im going to have that redone with a new 2.5 inch Y pipe all the way out, im keeping my glasspacks that are on it and getting the resonator deleted. I have considered having a whole new 3 inch exhaust run all the way out, but im worried about velocity issues at that point, any concerns on that?

I've heard alot of people complaining about res deletes, everything from rattling to being to loud (as if there were such a thing), the noise doesnt bother me, but rattling noises ive heard reported defently do, cars not going in the shop till late next week, what do you guys think?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cyst3m
So ive got some money set back for my 06 and heres my plan, just looking for some input, ive heard good and bad on these ideas. On the stock 06's its a 2.5 inch pipe until the Y pipe then it cuts down to a 2 inch (good job chevy),
my plan and maybe im wrong here but what ive found is that the piping is 2.25 inches all the way ... is to replace the mufflers and delete the resonator ... i havent decided if i want to keep the stock tips or replace them ... as a matter of fact im piecing together my cart on summit right now and hope to get it done next week ... one shop quoted me over 250 dollars minus parts ... so i checked another place and he said one hour of labor would cover everything ... at 60 bucks an hour ... so parts and everything ought to cost me about 200 w/o tips - 240 with new tips

but ill have to check on the diameter of the piping because i need to buy a section to replace the resonator ... i dont really want to run open pipes ... let me know if you find out for sure the diameter of the pipes before and after the split ...

Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 AM

the factory exhaust is 2.5 all the way to the y then its 2.25. theres one guy on my other forum thats running headers to a custom 3in piping to 3 inch spin tech exhaust. the car probably lost some bottom end but it picked up power up top. i dont like the way the res delete cars sound. theyre way to raspy. i bought the magnaflow but it wasnt loud enough so i kept the setup but removed the mufflers and ran 2.5 piping out the back from there y. sounds pretty good. i dont think the 3 inch is a bad idea. its a single exhaust with a y so shouldnt be an issue. i wouldnt get rid of the resonator though. id get rid of the mufflers if you want it louder.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Keep the resonator, or get a smaller one, replace the mufflers and tips (4"). The end. lol

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 09-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the factory exhaust is 2.5 all the way to the y then its 2.25.
i guess its all a matter of preference and what driving style you have what youll end up liking ... this is what im going for ... obviously without removing the cat because of good ole illinois emissions testing ... ive heard the flowmasters on an impala and magnaflows and its just not loud enough for me ... - p.s. i know the sound quality of the video sucks but im willing to hedge my bets trying these mufflers out rather than dumping nearly 3 times the same into a set of flowmasters which everyone over at ls1tech say suck ??? so who knows

btw - anyone got any tips on tips ??? lol ...

Thrush mufflers - res and cat delete

Last edited by drjesus616; 09-04-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:54 AM

lol you sound like me Drjesus, i dont want mine to be obnoxiously loud or anything, but everyone in the neighborhoods gonna hear when i start it lol, that impala sounds dope! I would go for it, i love thrush, ive only ever bought and used thrush mufflers and ive never been disapointed, Thrush is all ill buy for sure! If your still looking around, check out Moroso Spiral Racing Mufflers and possibly Flowtech Warlocks as well, if i ever strayed from my beloved Thrush, one of these two would get me!

Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cyst3m
I would go for it, i love thrush, ive only ever bought and used thrush mufflers and ive never been disapointed, Thrush is all ill buy for sure!
Cystem ... do you have any videos of your exhaust as it sits right now with the glasspacks ???? i take it you mean the thrush glasspacks ?

i want it loud enough so that when i remote start in a walmart parking lot or parking garage and forgot where i parked i can find it with my eyes closed ...

id love to do a downpipe to non catted slp loudmouth 2's ... but that would cost probably 1200-1500 dollars ... with mufflers and tips im hoping to get out of this for around 180 bucks ... and even if it sounds half as good for one fifth the price ... im willing to settle

Last edited by drjesus616; 09-05-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM

yea i meant the glasspacks, and no i dont have any videos of how it sits right now :c

lol, i can just almost find mine in a parking lot with my eyes closed, that res really holds it back, cant wait to get it hacked off!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Def glad i went and did it! Sounds great, alot louder, alot meaner!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 PM

oh lol, all i did was the Res delete, i decided against the 3 inch pipe for budget reasons, the new tuner took up most of the car budget lol

Quick Reply: 06 SS Res Delete