Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

driver side seat cover pulling away from airbag

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default driver side seat cover pulling away from airbag

Any one had to fix one of these yet? I found a tsb that describes the issue 0n 00-01 Monte . wondering if I can fix the issue without replacing the leather seat cover.. Thanks

Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM

Hi `Bob,
The below is the information I had on file in reference to your thread...Check back on your thread question to see if any of our member's have had this problem, and what they have done to correct it...Goood Luck and wish you a Super Weekend..

__________________________________________________ _
Subject: Driver's Leather Seatback Material Pulling Away from Side Impact Air Bag Module Bezel (Install New Bezel and Inspect/Replace Seatback Cover)

Models: 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
with Side Impact Air Bag and Leather Seats

Condition:
Some owners may comment that the leather material on the side of the driver's seat is pulling away from the frame (bezel) around the side impact air bag module.

Cause:
This condition may be due to insufficient retention of the seatback cover retainers or tangs in the side impact air bag module housing slots.

Correction:
Replace the side impact air bag module mounting bezel with a new bezel that has narrower slots for improved retention. If when removing the old bezel, there is a white plastic strip attached to the edge of the metal plate behind the bezel, remove and discard it. The strip will be approximately 90 mm (3 1/2 in) long.

Figure 1

Also, inspect the seatback cover and determine if it has the wider retaining tang design (1). If the width of each of the six seatback cover tangs is approximately 10 mm (3/8 in), the seatback cover must be replaced. If the three tangs (1) on the side towards the front of the vehicle are approximately 20 mm (3/4 in) wide and the three tangs to the rear of the vehicle are approximately 10 mm (3/8 in) wide, the seatback cover does NOT need to be replaced.

Important:
Because the seat back release latch bezel may crack during removal, a replacement bezel, P/N 88899786, should be available prior to beginning any repairs.

Parts Information:
Part Number Description
88951498 Bezel, Driver's Seatback Cushion Inflatable Restraint Module Opening
88898191 Cover, Driver's Leather Seatback Cushion - Ebony (RPO 193) Without Heated (RPO KA1)
88898192 Cover, Driver's Leather Seatback Cushion -- Neutral (RPO 523) Without Heated (RPO KA1)
88898200 Cover, Driver's Leather Seatback Cushion - Ebony (RPO 193) With Heated (RPO KA1)
88898201 Cover, Driver's Leather Seatback Cushion - Neutral (RPO 523) With Heated (RPO KA1)
88899786 Bezel, Driver's Seat Back Cushion Latch Release Handle

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Hope it helped...Good Luck

Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member

Ya that would be the tsb.... Looking if anyone has done it and how the bag bezal removes from the bag itsself.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM

How does the plastic cover for the side airbag come off is is just with snaps??

Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MonteSSS
How does the plastic cover for the side airbag come off is is just with snaps??
Hello, I have the same issue, I even bought another brand new seat and it did the same thing... I'd love to buy the parts and do it, but wondering if anyone else has done it since the post was listed... Thanks. Any info would be great... Michael....

Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 AM

Anyone ever fix this yet? I'm gonna try the dealership and see what they say, unless someone here has fixed it themselves.. Thanks .. Mjclemm

Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM

I just fixed mine. Not sure how permanent it will be. I just took a thin bladed screwdriver and pushed the white trim piece over so I could put the clips back in and then held it there while I put the leather back under the black air bag trim piece. (I hope that makes sense.) I suspect that it will pop back out, but I'll let everyone know.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mairj40
I just fixed mine. Not sure how permanent it will be. I just took a thin bladed screwdriver and pushed the white trim piece over so I could put the clips back in and then held it there while I put the leather back under the black air bag trim piece. (I hope that makes sense.) I suspect that it will pop back out, but I'll let everyone know.

thanks... gonna try that, ill let ya know f it works for me... ty...mjc...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm thinking that if mine comes out again, I'll try the same thing except try putting a wee bit of glue on the white trim piece inside the seat. Sure beats paying $300 for a new seat cover from GM.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by mairj40
I'm thinking that if mine comes out again, I'll try the same thing except try putting a wee bit of glue on the white trim piece inside the seat. Sure beats paying $300 for a new seat cover from GM.
Thing that sucks is, I bought 2 more seats that were in EXCELLENT condition, one was brand new out of a wrecked car, and all3 did this, I have been looking for the leather seat WITHOUT the air bag... I have been trying to fix this since I got the car. Sucks having such a nice car, and need to hide the seats because it looks so so bad... Very bad design, can't believe Chevy will not fix it free, when clearly it is a design flaw and they know its an issue, otherwise why did they change the way it sets in the seat? Appalling to say the least

Quick Reply: driver side seat cover pulling away from airbag