General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Your views on extended service plans for your used Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:53 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Your views on extended service plans for your used Monte?

Oh guys, here's my first post...my car is currently in the local Chevrolet dealer's shop (I hear the groans all the way here! lol). My dilemma about where to take it ( I don't know any good local shops/mechanics) stemmed from the fact I've been driving vehicles under bumper to bumper warranties for the last 10 years. With my financial situation after my divorce, I knew I had to have a vehicle that was dependable and under warranty to avoid any high-cost crisis. That proved to pay off after several issues. On this car, which has just turned 100K miles, I'm curious what ya'll think about a extended warranty - worth it? Do any of you have them? My current issues don't bode well for a car that LOOKS to be in very good condition - one I'll admit I bought under too much emotion and without doing the sensible thing and having it inspected by a competent mechanic. My fault there and lesson learned. I did not look closely enough at the REAR tires, knowing it was front wheel drive...and the dealer/seller had rotated the badly worn front tires (inside wear!) to the rear. Can't believe I missed that, but I did. So you can guess the condition of the steering components. Ball joints, tie rods, and ISS are all shot. I'm fine with paying for this one, as I said my bad...but I do worry about high repair costs down the road. I know enough about shady 3rd party sellers to know I'd only consider GMPP's plan at this point....I just don't trust fly by night operators at all. Thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated! One last caveat in my defense, I'm just now pulling all the tools and setting up my garage to do more of my own maintenance/repairs...my dad was a master car mechanic and I'm not a total dolt - actually I have done quite a few major jobs. Clutch, tranny, rear end replacements etc....but at 55 it's admittedly not as much fun as it used to be. I'm thinking it will be much more fun on the SS than it was on the old Kia SUV...

Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Cool "2 buy or not 2 buy, that is the question?"

Hi `Perry,
Thanks for posting your 1st Thread Topic on the MCF.
I've never had a extended warranty, but I know several of our member's have or had one & I hope they post their reviews.

I've read many that had problems with extended warranties, but also have read many that have saved many $'s by having them. I searched for prior posts on this subject, but could not find at present

Warranties can be a gamble, but also can be a blessing `if you have a good policy that covers the part/item that;s bad.

I just know or have learned that it pays to do your homework.
The `web is a great search tool on any policy or warranty to do research before you decide to pay for additional coverage.

Good Luck with your Monte & in Life

Old 03-07-2014, 07:07 AM

I had the extended warrantee (5 yr, 160k km's) from the dealer on the Monte, but didn't really get my money out of it. Nothing Major went wrong with it.
I hear, and keep reading about Trans problems on the LS4's. My Trans went bad at 200k KM, (about 125K miles)
Perry, I did the steering rack same time as transmission, it was making noise, but it was the main hose from the pump that was bad. I think it was supposed to be replaced on Re-Call and my dealer replaced the return hose instead.
On tire wear, I've had many alignments, and all 3 sets of tires have worn out on the inside. Get them to check the front stabilizer, it's hollow tube and will hold water and the ends break because of rust.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are worth it, if you aren't a DIY'er

The transmissions are a big issue in these cars. If you lose that, and can't do anything yourself, or don't want to cheap out on it, you are looking at around $2000+ to fix.

So if you can get a warranty for about $1500-$2000 and afford it, and don't want to deal with maintenance that would be covered, it could be worth it.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TomF106SS
I had the extended warrantee (5 yr, 160k km's) from the dealer on the Monte, but didn't really get my money out of it. Nothing Major went wrong with it.
I hear, and keep reading about Trans problems on the LS4's. My Trans went bad at 200k KM, (about 125K miles)
Perry, I did the steering rack same time as transmission, it was making noise, but it was the main hose from the pump that was bad. I think it was supposed to be replaced on Re-Call and my dealer replaced the return hose instead.
On tire wear, I've had many alignments, and all 3 sets of tires have worn out on the inside. Get them to check the front stabilizer, it's hollow tube and will hold water and the ends break because of rust.
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

The transmissions are a big issue in these cars. If you lose that, and can't do anything yourself, or don't want to cheap out on it, you are looking at around $2000+ to fix.

So if you can get a warranty for about $1500-$2000 and afford it, and don't want to deal with maintenance that would be covered, it could be worth it.
I will do some comparisons, but yeah that would hurt...I tend to believe in Murphy's law, I won't need it till I don't have it!

I am looking at doing the transmission cooler and pray to the SS gods that it holds up a while. This new house and garage transformation is a money pit!

Appreciate the feedback!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I like to think I'm pretty good mechanically, but it takes the right tools and I also tend to break as much as I fix!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Im at about 90k miles and the tranny shop who inspected mine said my fluid and smell of my tranny is near to perfect, so im gonna fix my motor mounts and take it back to see if anything is wrong with my tranny, but if not im gonna add a shift kit soon to make it last a bit longer. The guy said it sounds like my tranny may be locking up, but it may just be because my engine is rocking

Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 PM

I never got an extended warranty when I had my 06 Monte SS due to the dealership not having any. A year down the road and I started having a steering rack possibly going bad, transmission starting to go, and then a couple of smaller things. So I decided I would trade it in before anything really went wrong with it and get into a car that I personally would have more fun in since I really missed having rear wheel drive. So I just recently traded it in and got a 2006 Mustang gt. And I got a warrenty on it from the dealership that only raised my car payment up $15. To me I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. And yes I may never use it which is entirely possible. But at least I have that peace of mind

Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I never got an extended warranty on my Monte but I seriously considered it. The dealership I bought it from didn't offer it but I called down the road to ask about one. I was quoted $2000 for a 3 year extension. I figure the first thing that will go out is the transmission if I have trouble and I could get a built one for another $500 on top of that so I took a pass.

Quick Reply: Your views on extended service plans for your used Monte?