General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: Is your Monte Carlo modified ?
My Monte Carlo is factory stock, (never change it)
5.00%
My Monte is slightly Modified> I'm slightly guilty
55.00%
My Monte is highly Modified > I can't control myself
40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

> Are you a Monte Carlo Molester ? <

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default > Are you a Monte Carlo Molester ? <

Hi Member's,
Have you `Molested your Monte Carlo > Are you touching things on your Monte Carlo that you should not touch ?

How many `Mod's have you done ?

Is it true that a Stock Monte Carlo is worth more ?, then a modified Monte ? > Post your thoughts

Post your thoughts before you are brought before the Monte Carlo Court to be judged for what you have done to your Monte Carlo

Is your Monte Carlo factory Stock ?
Is your Monte slightly modified: CAI, exhaust, Sound System ?
Is your Monte highly modified: Turbo's/Body Kits/Engine/Heads/cam's etc ?

Let us know, & please Vote in above POLL > Thank You!
===============================================
Can You Modify A Car Without Destroying Resale Value?

Car modification is big business. Thanks to billion dollar spectator motor sports such as Formula 1, Indy Car Racing, Touring Cars and the World Rally Championship, as well as films such as Fast and Furious, everyone wants a car with at least a little hint of attitude…like maybe some cool lights, a body kit, an upgraded exhaust system, etc.

This heavily modified classic is probably a great dragster, but it would be worth a lot more money if it was all original. A LOT more...

The problem is, many after-market accessories and vehicle modifications can hurt resale value. Adding a big wing and a lowering kit, for example, will only cause your car to lose value. It’s ironic that adding thousands of dollars worth of after-market extras can hurt resale value, but it’s true.
So, what can you do to ensure your car loses less value if/when you add an after-market accessory or modification?
Make of Car

First things first, by choosing the right type of car, you will immediately slow down the rate of depreciation. Certain car brands such as Honda and Toyota hold their value better than others, as do Toyota trucks. Beyond those general guidelines, you might want to check out what KBB.com has to say about the relative resale value of the car you’re thinking about modifying – see KBB’s Best Resale Value Awards reports for more info.
Another thing to consider: While luxury cars like Lexus and Infiniti hold their value exceedingly well, it would be foolish to modify one. This is because your typical Lexus or Infiniti buyer is looking for a luxurious, worry-free automobile. One look at a Lexus with a loud exhaust system or racing seats and that’s it – they’re moving on to another car.
Choose a Tasteful Modification

Once you have your vehicle, you need to make a wise decision when choosing what to do to it. Generally speaking, if they accessory or modification isn’t plainly visible, it’s unlikely to hurt resale value. Conversely, the more visible an accessory or modification is, the more it can hurt. Listed below are some examples of accessories/modifications that will or won’t hurt resale value.

Accessories and Modifications that Generally Hurt Resale Value:
  • Radical paint jobs, graphics, or interior style elements
  • Body kits, add-on spoilers, hood scoops, etc.
  • Very loud exhaust systems
  • Painted panels in the interior
  • Poorly installed interior accessories (especially after-market stereos with poor fit and finish)
  • Fire extinguishers, roll cages, racing seats, and any other accessory commonly associated with racing like special seat belt harnesses, dash gauges, etc.
  • Superchargers, turbochargers, and especially nitrous oxide systems
  • Blatantly obvious lowering kits
Accessories and Modifications that Generally DO NOT Hurt Resale Value:
  • Simple performance upgrades like upgraded engine programming, cold air intake, or an exhaust system with a reasonable sound level
  • Upgraded wheels, shocks, or mild suspension adjustments
  • Bike racks, radar detectors, and any other accessory that’s easy to remove without damaging the vehicle
  • After-market leather seats or an after-market sunroof
Trucks and Cars are Different

To this point this article has addressed cars more than trucks, which is to say that in many cases adding accessories to a truck helps resale. Examples include larger wheels and tires, lift kits, tonneau covers, bed liners, exhaust systems (provided they’re not overly loud), grille guards and after-market bumpers, winches, etc.
In fact, it’s much more likely that your typical truck accessory or modification will help resale value more than hurt it.
Legality

Finally, you need to ensure that above all, what you change on your car is legal. Certain types of modification could invalidate your insurance or make registration impossible, so it’s best to check if you’re not sure. Examples include removing catalytic converters, adding electronics or performance parts that cause check engine warning lights to set, or modifications that remove or disable key safety components.

Last edited by Space; 09-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Mine is factory stock, and i quite like it that way.
As long as it's my DD it will remain stock, I've seen too many people mod their DD and then complain it's always breaking.

Once i get a good solid DD, i def. have some ideas about Modding Monte secret though shh!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 AM

Hi `Devin,
Thanks for being the first to post. I think you are a wise man to keep your Monte Stock, but I do also understand the need & fun to do mod's.

I think every time a person mod's their vehicle that is limits their buying audience when the owner tries to trade or sell. I know from my experience that dealers do not like to take in cars that are modified.

I would only do major modifications `if I was keeping my ride 4-ever.

Also, a Monte is more of a classic `if it is completely stock..

I think the results of our POLL will be interesting to see how many stock member's Monte's we have vs the Modified Monte(s) ?

p.s. `Devin, you can tell us your secrets (LOL) We won't tell anyone but the World on the World Wide `Web
p.s.s. Please VOTE above `OK

Last edited by Space; 09-08-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Slightly modded, cai, exhaust, lights and some other small things.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Recently bought my 06 SS with magna flows on it. Not sure if I like the sound or not yet. I am planning to add a K-M cia soon and that should be about it. I am also in the market for a couple of new rims as mine are already corroding from the new England winters. My DD is an 02 SS that is stock, love that car, just doesn't want to die.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Hi Vette `Guy,
We hope you post or put pictures of your Monte's in your MCF Garage for all to enjoy. Thanks for your post/contributions...Look 4ward to seeing your Monte's...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

Mine is only slightly modded, but i don't plan on every selling it anyway. The mods i have is stereo equipment, lighting, and a cai.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

My Monte is modded (interior, exterior, under hood, etc.), and continues to be modded, even currently, and I have a whole list of more mods to be done. I dont care if it hurts resale value, I didnt buy it for its resale value, I bought it for me because I like it and I do the mods I like because it's my car and I'm the one paying for the mods and driving it. She is my daily driver, I doubt I will ever sell her so it is irrelevant to me.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Mine is slightly modified. With the custom rims and the Magna Flow Cat, 2" lift in the rear. With more slightly mods to come. (CAI, bigger TB, Magna Flow resonator or a glass pak, Woofer under the passenger seat, better head unit, custom gauge faces, Pretty engine compartment, 06 07 wing and Transformer decals.)
I never worry about Resale Value. If I have Bloodied my knuckles on a car you can bet that I plan on driving it to the grave. I gave my IRoc 350 to a guy who was building one, when I got tired of it. I gave my 325is to Kars 4 Kids when I was done with it. Other cars that I have owned went to the junkyard.
If I had a New car, I might worry about resale, But I doubt it.
I hate it when I here people say, "I don't want to drive my car too much cause I don't want to put too many miles on it." Well the idea of buying a car is to put miles on it. And if you don't drive it then you may as well park it on your lawn and let the birds poop on it. You bought a car you will never enjoy for saving the mileage and the resale value.
If you do modify your car and then consider selling it, you would be looking to sell it to someone who will appreciate it as much as you do! It's value is in your heart, solidified by the Blood Sweat and tears you put into it to customize it to your personality.
When you buy a car, No matter what model, you are buying a generic car, one that anyone can buy, customizing gives your car, "Personality"! There are 2 other Yellow Monte SSs in my area, But mine stands out and says "I'm JC's YelloJAC!" And that is what I want not an everybody can have one mobile! If I did I would be driving a nice little mini van with the 4 kids and the mom and dad on the back window. I resell my car to me Every time I get into it, Every time I bust tool on it, and every time I do a little mod to it. That's were the Value is to me. Let the Soccer Moms have the Generic car!!!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Heres a secret:

Lets say you thinking about tradeing in your Modified Monte Carlo to a dealer.
All those Modifications mean nothing to the dealer! There only going to give you base model trade in value.

So,
If you looking to sell your modified Monte Carlo... You'll get the most value for it by selling it on the street to a private buyer.

Quick Reply: > Are you a Monte Carlo Molester ? <