General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Whine coming from stereo ONLY when car is running.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Default Whine coming from stereo ONLY when car is running.

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LT 3.5. I do have an aftermarket Pioneer deck with a 4-channel Alpine amp powering 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers. I do not believe that is what is causing the problem however, because i have had it in and have not touched any of it for ever a year. A description of the problem goes as follows...

It is a hissing/high-pitched whiney noise from the speakers.
Stereo works perfectly with no wierd noise/distortion when car is not running.
When starting the car, the noise seems to coincide with the noise of the starter.
No matter the volume of the stereo, the noise is constant. Even on mute.
The whiney noise gets progressively louder as I accelerate.
Only if I am to completely shut off my stereo, does the noise stop.

I have no idea what could be causing this problem. My first thought was the plugs and or wires. But I am no mechanic and I don't trust myself to diagnose the problem. It would be greatly appreciated if someone had a fix or a diagnosis to this problem. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 PM

not sure it could be a bad ground some where. also i think mamonte told me something about bad accesorys{stuff conected to the serpetine belt}
causing that. not posative please chime in if you read this.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5qbVG...2200137AAmP29v

Last edited by mak330; 01-31-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM

Sounds like your system is picking up alternator whine. You may want to check your system grounds, at the amp and the head unit. Make sure the grounds are metal to metal and not metal to paint, use dremel tool to expose the metal. You may want to use the locking washer to keep the ground screws from loosening up. Also, if your power cable comes from the battery and through the firewall make sure you keep it as far as possible from the alternator as you can.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The whinning noise that Mak330 is thinking about is the power steering pump. From what you have described though, it sounds like this is definitely not a power steering whine.

I would agree with Wil (MonteSS02), and (Mak330) that is sounds like a wiring issue. Either bad ground, or you have wires crossing.

I have an aftermarket sub and amp hooked up to my stock headunit, and somewhere down the road, the speaker wire coming from the firewall, and connecting to the fuse box got an wxposed area, where the bare wire was exposed, and touching the frame of the car occasionally. When this happend, I had two problems. A) it created a short in my car, and drained my battery. B) it created static in my sterio system. Once i finally realized that part of the wire was exposed, and occasionally smaking the frame, I fixed that area, and then secured the wire better, so it would not get gouged again. Ever since it has been fine.

It I was you, i'd start by inspecting all your wires both under the hood, and under the dash, ever the smallest exposed wire can create lots of problems.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM

if you search

whine+speaker on yahoo there are many forums on the topic.

1 most comon problem = bad main ground scraping the paint
2 bad rca's
3 running power wires next to alternator or rca's
4 screwing amp directly to trunk = put a piece of wood inbetween
5 bad mini grounds as mamonte was describing
6 defective rca's imputs on amp = rare less than 5%

Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Using low shield quality rca cables can pick up noise from almost any source, ie. other wires, relays, fuse boxes. So getting better shielded rca's will improve sound as well as avoid the whining sound. Last resort you can use a tin foil hat while you're driving so you can pick up the whine, or alien transmissions. (j/k)

Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by skidoo6713
I do have an aftermarket Pioneer deck
I'd wager a lot of money on this being the problem. What model is the deck? I had this problem myself, and it's not an easy fix, but doable if you can solder and are comfortable taking apart your headunit. Have you done anything like unhooking RCAs for any reason and then hooking them back up? Have you done anything electrical with the car at all? Pioneers are ultra prone to blowing a micro fuse on the RCA circuit if any RCA connections are made and the battery has not been disconnected beforehand. Once that fuse is blown, you have what's called alternator whine, which is what you're hearing.

You can try this at first. If this eliminates or reduces your whine, the headunit is the problem.

Here is a repair thread on another forum I made when I fixed my headunit.
http://caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=297235

Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM

it is a Pioneer Premier PH-8000BT. Due to money constraints when i put in my speakers...the RCAs to the front speakers are non-shielded. I however do not believe that is the problem because they have worked fine for months with no noise. If I am to disconnect my sub RCA wires from my headunit, the RCAs for the front and rear speakers begin to get very distorted until i plug it back in. If i am to un-hook ALL of the wires from one of my amps except the RCAs and begin to hook up the positive wire first, i get an extremely loud hissing sound from the speakers, without a ground wire connected....which makes me lead to believe it may be my RCA wires in my subs...

Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Like said above, it is a good idea to check all of your wires for spots where sheet metal has rubbed through the insulation, causing the wire to ground out. I'm still leaning towards the headunit problem, especially now since you've been doing hot RCA swapping. It's a very common Pioneer headunit problem.

You have an RCA issue somewhere, and it is almost definitely the headunit. You get that hissing sound because when you hook up the power without a ground connected to the amp, your amp is grounding through the RCAs due to whatever problem you have. Every time you remove an RCA, more current grounds out through the remaining RCAs, which is why it gets worse. Stop removing wires and hooking them back up the way you are with your stereo turned on. You shouldn't even be doing that with the battery connected. Like I said, if your headunit wasn't blown before, it definitely is now.

Last edited by Dbl_D718; 02-03-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Money constraints are going to have to put this on hold until possibly as late as summer. I am a college student and like all students, strapped for cash. If this problem is not fixed right away, will it put any extra wear-and-tear on any of my components? Or will it just be a nuisance? If it does not harm anything, I might as well NASCAR fix it and just turn the radio up a notch or two louder.

Quick Reply: Whine coming from stereo ONLY when car is running.