General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

where to start for performance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Default where to start for performance?

i have a completely stock 3.8 engine (2000 SS)for my monte and i would like to add a some performance to it. where should i start? and please give a good size list going from start to finish if you have the time. but keep in mind that i will probably start at the first item on the list and go straight down. and what is the u-bend? never even heard of it! i have just seen people with their signature picture and on it says something about a u-bend delete or whatever. thanks everyone!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Default RE: where to start for performance?

The U bend deletesounds like some silly exhaust bend thats not nessesary. Freeflowing exhaust is key with any performance upgrade. After that intake, CAI or K&N. Tuning for the ECU after that, get your afr nice and stoich. Serious about power after that, either some headwork if staying NA or SC/Turbo.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Use our search feature. There are alot of write-ups like this, that will answer this exact question.

To be honest? There isn't a whole lot to do, other than intake and exhaust work, roller rockers, and a camshaft. Anything more you will have to look at doing a Turbo or Supercharger kit.

Ubend delete will add horsepower, it is a bend in the exhaust that stacks heat and pressure to restrict your exhaust system from getting air out faster. Delete it, and you'll see what I am talking about. =)

Old 12-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Ubend
CAI
PCM
Throttle Body
Ported Manifolds

And if you want to really kick it in the ***,smaill turbo for about 2,500 will drop you about 3.5 seconds.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM

PCM? what is that?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 AM

computer. these cars dont have a "chip" you can change, you have to do an ecm swap. plug ang play pretty much.

Heres a link i got a while back about modding your 3800 motor.

https://montecarloforum.com/m_31160/tm.htm

good info in this one!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: schmicr

i have a completely stock 3.8 engine (2000 SS)for my monte and i would like to add a some performance to it. where should i start? and please give a good size list going from start to finish if you have the time. but keep in mind that i will probably start at the first item on the list and go straight down. and what is the u-bend? never even heard of it! i have just seen people with their signature picture and on it says something about a u-bend delete or whatever. thanks everyone!
This is a U-bend vs U-bend delete photo:

I'd suggest taking a look at http://pfyc.comfor some ideas. They have a lot of stuff you can get for the 3.8.

Here's a list of suggestions:
-U-bend delete
-RSM Racing 62mm Throttle Body
-MSD Ignition coils
-MSD Ignition or Taylor spark plug wires
-RSM Racing lightweight crankshaft pulley
-K&N or SLP Cold Air Intake
-Corsa, SLP, or Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system
-SLP Headers
-Add a Supercharger and Intercooler

Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Does the 04 Monte Carlo have a U-Bend in the Exhaust? If it does, what can I expect to happen if I did a U-Bend Delete? I don't have a lot of extra money to put into Mods but if something as simple as replacing 8-inches of exhaust pipe will give me better performance; I might give it a go.

What's the best advice from those of you who have been there and done that?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

u-bend is in all montes, 00-05

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM

havent done it rick but i would suggest it as one of ur startin mods, deletin the u bend will add 10+ horsepower and all u need to do is weld a bung for the o2 sensor onto the pipe and then weld it in and ull b good

Quick Reply: where to start for performance?