What to look for when buying a used Monte? - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums


General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 PM
HKnux5112's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 24
Default What to look for when buying a used Monte?

Title.

I was going down to Omaha tomorrow to look at a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. This particular one is red with the white trim underneath, something I've wanted for a long time.

I do know, generally, what to look for when buying a car and trying to notice any problems with it. My question is, are there certain problems that arise with these vehicles with high mileage that I should especially pay attention to?

Mileage was around 115k.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM
plumbob's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 2,267
Default

Here's a great list of common problems posted a while back by Admin, Chibi:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lutions-30154/

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM
HKnux5112's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 24
Default

Thank you, it worked out pretty well. Some fender rust that I will have a body shop take a look at, but the car was very clean and bought it for a decent price.

Monte SS - Album on Imgur

Left one is my other vehicle, with coincidentally the same engine. Did my first mod as well, hoping to do more. Thank you for that link.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2017, 12:52 PM
drivernumber3's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,130
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKnux5112 View Post
Title.

I was going down to Omaha tomorrow to look at a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. This particular one is red with the white trim underneath, something I've wanted for a long time.

I do know, generally, what to look for when buying a car and trying to notice any problems with it. My question is, are there certain problems that arise with these vehicles with high mileage that I should especially pay attention to?

Mileage was around 115k.
Ok if you drove down to Omaha where did you drive from, I am in Nebraska also.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM
HKnux5112's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivernumber3 View Post
Ok if you drove down to Omaha where did you drive from, I am in Nebraska also.
Great state of Iowa, more specifically Des Moines. If you're into modding Montes, let me know, I might need some help in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 PM
drivernumber3's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,130
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKnux5112 View Post
Great state of Iowa, more specifically Des Moines. If you're into modding Montes, let me know, I might need some help in the future.
Well Iowa is where I was born.
I do some Mods on occasion redid my interior and next will be doing my Hood with a scoop.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Sidestreet's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
1 Year Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Papillion, NE
Posts: 206
Default

HKnux, looks like you bought the red 05 SS from Prime Auto on 84th Street (judging from the front promo license plate). I've noticed that one on their lot a few times as I drove past. How neat to know it ended up with someone here on the MC Forum!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:36 AM
HKnux5112's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidestreet View Post
HKnux, looks like you bought the red 05 SS from Prime Auto on 84th Street (judging from the front promo license plate). I've noticed that one on their lot a few times as I drove past. How neat to know it ended up with someone here on the MC Forum!
That is some great detective work! Thanks, it needs to be in the hands of someone who won't destroy the engine.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Default 05 ss

Unless I am mistaken this car must have the supercharged 3.8 liter V6. As I recall in the 2005 models the regular 3.8 was demoted from the SS to the LT. (Which is where it should have been all along in the 6th gen in my opinion.)

Last edited by wolsblood07; 08-18-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.