General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

WHat does comprehensive coverage cover???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Question WHat does comprehensive coverage cover???

is a hit and run covered under comprehensive coverage??? somebody sideswiped me about a month ago but I didnt report it because I wasnt sure if Progressive would cover it and I didnt want my rate to go up just because. I only have comprehensive and liability I unfortunately cant afford collision it double my insurance now just because im a 21 year old african american male! pisses me off but oh well

Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Comprehensive is usually, fire, flood, theft, vandalism, broken window, etc.

Collision is when your car either hits a vehicle, or is hit by another vehicle.

All of this really depends on your policy. Since you don't know, I assume you just signed up online, you should really get a nice outline as to what services are covered in your premium from an agent

Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would guess not:

COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE (OTHER THAN COLLISION, OTC, COMP):

Covers your vehicle, and other vehicles (in limited scenarios) you may be driving for losses resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire, or animals. It pays to fix your vehicle less the deductible you choose. To keep your premiums low, select as high a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket. This coverage is not required by a state, but your lender or lease company may require it.

Learn more about what comprehensive coverage covers, and whether you should buy it.

COLLISION COVERAGE (COLL):

Covers damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle, or other object. Pays to fix your vehicle minus the deductible you choose. To keep your premiums low, select as large a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket. For older cars, consider dropping this coverage, since coverage is normally limited to the cash value of your car. This is not required by a state, but if you have a loan or a lease then the lien holder will require it.

Learn more about your collision coverage, and whether you should purchase it.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Liability will not cover a hit and run. And Full coverage will and it should not raise your rates as it was not your fault like hitting a deer or a storm knocking a tree on your car. Call your provider because even if your asked them about it they cant raise your rates until you do use their service anyway it wont do anything to ask. I would switch companies if I was you. I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Intimidator Supercharged and I am a 24 Year old White dude with 2 wrecks on record. I pay $76 bucks a month for full coverage $100k-$300k everything, $50k property, $10k medical for me and those in my car, and $500 deductible. If i am a victim of a hit and run it is all covered. Check out Gieco that's who I use I even get a discount for being in my fraternity in college.

PS. Collision for me is an extra $128 every six months. added to rest of my coverage btw.

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 01-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM

DonT want to sound like a swindler but couldnt you make it look like vandalism?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DRuben
DonT want to sound like a swindler but couldnt you make it look like vandalism?
how do I do that? man I have no idea I really want my car fixed just when everything is going good something like this happens... its too much out of pocket to fix so honestly I have to find a way but I have the slightest idea how

Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
Liability will not cover a hit and run. And Full coverage will and it should not raise your rates as it was not your fault like hitting a deer or a storm knocking a tree on your car. Call your provider because even if your asked them about it they cant raise your rates until you do use their service anyway it wont do anything to ask. I would switch companies if I was you. I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Intimidator Supercharged and I am a 24 Year old White dude with 2 wrecks on record. I pay $76 bucks a month for full coverage $100k-$300k everything, $50k property, $10k medical for me and those in my car, and $500 deductible. If i am a victim of a hit and run it is all covered. Check out Gieco that's who I use I even get a discount for being in my fraternity in college.

PS. Collision for me is an extra $128 every six months. added to rest of my coverage btw.
$76 for all of that???? im def getting screwed by progressive i pay about $60 a month and I only have liabilty and comprehensive! But if I switch and get full coverage I still wont get my car fixed?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

advising you on how to get it fixed now could be considered insurance fraud, so I will bail out of the conversation now

Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
advising you on how to get it fixed now could be considered insurance fraud, so I will bail out of the conversation now
Thats why I didnt reply :p

Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 PM

Yea you are getting screwed by progressive. Post some pics of your damage I might be able to find the Parts you need to fix it just need to paint it after that. I found some good OEM replacement places that sell cheap body panels. If all else fails buy some junkyard parts to replace the ones that got damaged then get a $500 Maco paint job until you can afford a full fix. Only you will be able to tell the difference if you go with a similar color. As long as your frame is good and the body panel mounting places are not bent from the hit you can just bolt up new body panels.

And no, damage already on a car is not covered by new insurance. Only damage that occurs after insurance kicks in.

Also funny as im telling you progressive is screwing you i see an add for it on this page. LOL

Quick Reply: WHat does comprehensive coverage cover???