General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What to do to my 2006 LTZ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Default What to do to my 2006 LTZ?

Hi all

First off sorry if this should be posted in a different thread, haha.

I picked up a 2006 LTZ with only 55,000 miles on it. Little old lady drove it and took tremendous care of it, and considering it's my first car, you can bet I'm excited. Of course, I'm already looking to make improvements on it, and I was hoping to get some input.

At first I was looking for some extra sound--nothing loud and obnoxious, but more of a deep, rich growl to it. Then I started reading about cat back systems. However, I've read that a cat back system may only affect sound rather than performance (can somebody confirm this?) for my particular car. Also, I'm on a bit of a budget, so I'm thinking going with a couple of mufflers (dual exhaust) with 4 inch tips would be enough for me. I'd love if someone could tell me whether they think flowmaster or magnaflow mufflers are better, or whether a cat back system is definitely worth it (definitely on a budget remember).

I appreciate any answers and look forward to browsing the forums for info on these great cars!

Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 AM

Also, since my main question was more about making the car a bit louder--what is the best cheap way to enhance performance? I've heard good things about the A&N cold air intake. Is that easily worth the 200 or so? I can't go crazy spending of course but I'm thinking I could justify spending what it would take to get 2 good sounding mufflers, 2 good looking tips, and cold air intake when compared to the cost of a cat back system.

Any info or opinions would be great. Thanks again

Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do exactly what you mentioned above......Get new mufflers and some nice looking tips and get a cold air intake from one of the sponsors here on the MCF.....Cold Air Inductions, I have it and it's nicer than the K&N intake. My 3.9 sounds nice and I did exactly what you're thinking, after that there isn't much else you can do for performance....Maybe get a tune form Overkill motorsports after you've don't the tips, muffler and CAI.

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 AM

Beautiful, thanks for the help. I actually noticed after my post that you had those same things I had mentioned. Could you specify on what mufflers (brand/series)? Also, just to be clear on the exhaust tips--I know I want the 4 inch output, but is the input supposed to be 2.25 or 2.5 inch? Also not sure what the length is supposed to be. I've looked around in other threads/sites but haven't found a clear answer.

Again, thanks for the help. Looks like mine will end up very similar to yours.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mufflers and tips are magnaflow, purchased at ebay via summit racing

Tips.....(2) MagnaFlow Performance Stainless Exhaust Tip 2 1/4" Inlet Weld-On 4" Outlet

Mufflers.....MagnaFlow 14362 Muffler 2.25" Inlet/2.25" Outlet Stainless Steel Polished Each

Looks like the prices have gone up a little, I had it all installed at my local Meineke shop, total cost was $ 130

Old 11-30-2013, 01:49 AM

Welcome Oh-Six to the Monte Carlo Family...

You have a rare Monte Carlo 4-Sure...The 06 Monte LTZ is the only year that the Monte Carlo had the awesome 3.9L 240 H.P V-6.

What color is yours ? What options ?

Look forward to seeing pictures & reading more about it.

What state are you from ? What is your first name ?
Explore the MCF & EnJoy...Look forward to your future posts & contributions to the MCF.

**Thanks Chris for helping our new member with some great information

Old 11-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the help monte. I think I'm actually going to go with the K&N cold air intake. Same with the tips and mufflers, I have an *idea* of which one I need but am not 100% sure on the specific model or fit. A link would be very helpful.

I'm looking forward to the even smoother ride and deep smooth sound!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the welcome Space, definitely looking forward to browsing/discussing around here. I've already learned a lot about the 7th generation and what I'm looking for for my 2006 3.9 specifically.

I'm Sam from central Florida. Like I said, it's my first car so it's pretty exciting to have an LTZ. Add in the fact that an old lady who took great care of it was the only owner of it. It's beautiful--I'll get some pictures up soon hopefully.

As for the color of the car--huh. It's a kind of a dark gray (says gray on the registration), but I have not found any official name for the color anywhere. It's absolutely darker than the Dark Silver Metallic shown here:

See 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Color Options - CarsDirect

In fact, it looks like the gray under the Interior section under that link. so yeah....weird. Anyways, I'ld like to get a few pictures of it up soon, which will help. Until then, if anyone knows what the deal is with the color I'd like to know! So far I've just kind of assumed it was more rare for the 2006 LTZ.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Hi `Sam,
Thanks for your reply & infor...
Does your Monte Look like the below LTZ ? If so, it's called Pewter (I think) ?

x > or

Exterior Color:

Dark Silver Metallic

Last edited by Space; 11-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Well it's interesting, the Dark Silver Metallic clearly seems different in your picture and in the link I posted. Not that I'm questioning the Dark Silver Metallic in the picture you posted, but still kind of interesting.

But to answer the main question--mine is clearly the Dark Silver Metallic. That color seems much lighter under the link I posted, so that threw me off!

Thanks for taking the time to post those!

Quick Reply: What to do to my 2006 LTZ?