General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What to do? 1986 Monte Carlo LS 36,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Default What to do? 1986 Monte Carlo LS 36,000 original miles

Here is my story.... a few years ago I purchased a home at an estate sale. In the carport was this 1986 Monte Carlo. I'll be honest, I'm more of a Ford Mustang guy. but, I've held on to it for about 2 years and driven it a little here & there. I know it sat parked for at least 5 more before I got my hands on it. Everything is original on it right down to the tires. it has 36,864 original miles. My delima is I do not know anything about this vehicle to work on or modify it. I have it for sale on auto trader. If it doesn't sell when my ad runs out I August I plan to keep it.
Remember everything is original, Where do you start? it's a 305 automatic.
What are the easiest/best mods to do?
I guess the best way to ask this is... If this car fell in your lap, Where would you start? What would you do to it?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM

I haven't even purchased tires for it becaust I would like better rims instead of the stock wire hub caps.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it were my car I'd keep it original and enter it in survivor car shows. It's 25 years old and it's considered an antique (at least in IL) and I'd keep it for a show car/cruise night car.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 PM

The car shows sound interesting. I searched in my area. I do not see any "survivor" shows. I'll check further with some of the shows in the area and see if they have a category like survivor. (Florida is 30 years for antique status)

Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

keep the Monte, it's a great Florida car, low miles and from what you say great shape! You can always take it to car shows and put a for sale on it while you're there. The car is a hidden treasure and it will always have value to a car enthusiast somewhere. Keep your options open with it!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 PM

First, I change out the fluids (Gas in particular) If it's been sitting for 5 years, there also might be varnish in the carb. That also would need something like Sea Foam or something similar to get the gunk out. If this car is all original, then it probably has the dreaded Computer Controlled Q-Jet. Charge (or replace) the Battery. Also check the vacuum hoses for rotten spots and change out as necessary. Also, check the A/C, heater, brake and fuel hoses, gaskets, etc. for cracks and leaks. How do I know this? My first car was my parents' 1982 Olds 98. They had it since new and I got it when it was approaching the 20 year mark.. I'm sure it has a similar setup being also part of the GM family. Different engine, but it still had miles of vacuum hoses.. This is not forgetting any body rust that has developed. I had to let her go in 2006 because it was in the shop more than it was on the road.. A very bittersweet farewell because I knew her all of my life. But that allowed me to get a Monte Carlo!

Oh, and I'd keep her- that is unless the price of gas starts getting to you or it turns into a car like my Olds did..

Last edited by 05MonteLS; 04-27-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 AM

Above is your AutoTrader ad & maybe one of our member's may be interested. But I would keep it `if it were mine.
Good Luck & let us know what you decide to `do.

Explore the MCF & I'm sure you will start to really appreicate the Chevy Monte Carlo 4-Sure : )
Loook forward to your updates(posts).

Last edited by Space; 04-25-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Dang! That engine compartment sure brings back memories! Everything is the same (compared to my Olds) except the A/C Compressor, Alternator and the battery was reversed. Also, my air snorkel was on the right. The rest of the car looks good as well. I wonder if this also was one of the legendary "Body by Fisher" cars..

This is what my old car's engine bay looked like (as a comparison) Mine looks like it has more emissions crap on it..

Last edited by 05MonteLS; 04-27-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Keep it! Looking at the pics that car definately shows very little if any wear to it. I would keep it all original. The value of that car will only increase.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 AM

Thank you for all the input.
To answer a few questions. I emptied the tank & fuel system, Put a battery in it, Cleaned the carb, Check all the hoses, lines & belts. It was stored covered so it's very clean.
It fired right up & I have run some fuel system cleaners & high octane gas through it.
I need to get new tires. They are old & cause a slight shimmy. Is there some reason I should hang on to the original tires?
The paint needs a good buff, but Not knowing what I was going to do with it I haven't done much.
I have had a few offers, from $3000 - $4000, maybe I should have taken it. I'm not in an area of high demand for this classic.
I spent some time today checking in to car shows so I guess I will make some plans to attend & see how it plays out (unless it sells first).

Last edited by ScottK; 04-26-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: What to do? 1986 Monte Carlo LS 36,000 original miles