General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Weird Electrical Problem (video provided) - 2001 Monte Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Default Weird Electrical Problem (video provided) - 2001 Monte Carlo SS

first of all, long time lurker, first time poster, glad to see such a helpful and friendly community

I'm not the best at describing car electrical problems, but this began to occur after a few really hot days over the summer here in MI, pretty much everything electrical goes haywire on me after the car runs for not even 10 minutes after the first startup for the day, and then continues immediately after each other startup during the day until I disconnect my battery at night to prevent my headlights flashing randomly at night and killing my battery.

heres the video: Electrical Problem - 2001 Monte Carlo SS - YouTube

full description lists as much information as I know how to provide, and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Probably a BCM problem. Going to need the dealership to fix it because a new BCM requires a Tech-2 scanner to reprogram.

Shop around at dealerships to see who won't gouge you too much haha

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

it happened to me twice first on what is happening to you the second it was the one they replaced. the dealer said the second one was covered by the one year warrenty for the new one. the second one didnt let the pcm get any power and they replaced the bcm again. it started and ran fine. but my first one did the same thing like your monte is doing

Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM

thank you for your quick replies.

thats what one of my buddies was saying as well it probably was (he was a mechanic for 6 years, and now an electrician). Any idea what a rough estimate on cost would be for something like that?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can buy a used BCM for pretty cheap, then just have the Tech-II person bill you for their time

But some shops do automatic 1-hour to reprogram even if it takes 15 minutes.

Gotta shop around, could be done for $90 all in, could be almost $450

Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM

it set me back 600. at one dealer i shoped around dealers majority wanted 1200 to 2300. i went to the gm dealer i originaly got my monte they said why didnt you give us a call first and said the part is 450 and labor and computer sync 150. i couldent complane of the 600. shop around the bcm should be low but getting it sync with the car is anouther caughst as well. but it should be around 680 all said and done. i have went to the same dealer for the parts and service i couldent do on a fwd monte. so they helped me out on alot so shop and it will pan out hope for the best

Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM

I got an appointment set up with a dealer in Lansing MI that said they would do it for $480 plus tax for everything, so after hearing prices on here, that seems like a pretty sweet deal. Thank you to everyone for their input, once its taken in and they properly diagnose it, I'll report back with what they find, and I wonder if this might have anything to do with other electrical issues I had before this began...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM

i am glad you are going to get it fixed. i am also glad that you got a good price as well from a dealer like i did

Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You can buy a used BCM for pretty cheap, then just have the Tech-II person bill you for their time

But some shops do automatic 1-hour to reprogram even if it takes 15 minutes.

Gotta shop around, could be done for $90 all in, could be almost $450
Just so you know, most GM modules/computer cannot be reprogrammed. You can buy used but your need a Monte with the exact same options as yours.

FWIW, List price is $275 on a BCM + hour to program ($88) + 1 hour to install ($88). These are prices at my dealership. If you pay anymore you are getting shafted.

Last edited by aussiek2000; 09-13-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM

so i got my car back, bcm replaced and reprogrammed for just under $450, and all seems to be well so far. its amazing how much that actually affected that I didn't realize that it did (message center saying Trunk Open when it wasn't), and its nice to be able to use my FOB again after 3 years haha. Thanks to everyone for their input and knowledge!

Quick Reply: Weird Electrical Problem (video provided) - 2001 Monte Carlo SS