General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Water on floor mat, scraped the inside of my windshield this morning :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Default Water on floor mat, scraped the inside of my windshield this morning :(

Hey guys. I have an 03 Monte Carlo, was wondering if someone could offer some advice to two problems that just started recently happening.

First, when it rains, I end up with a puddle on my passenger side front floor mat, more toward the bottom right is where the lake forms. I felt around the windshield on that side and didn't notice anything wet. I dont have a sunroof or anything, and I didn't feel the inside of the roof's fabric wet anywhere. Someone said there might be a plug in my door or something that could make the water leak in from somewhere over there? I dont know if they were pulling my leg or not.

I'm assuming the moisture getting inside my car is what then causes me to have to scrape my front windshield from the inside on cold mornings some days, probably after it rained the day or night before.

I looked at my windshield from the outside, doesn't seem like anything's raised up or coming apart to where water might be getting in.

Any thoughts you guys might have would be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One of my buddies had the same problem (with the water on the floor) in his grand prix and it all came from the grommet where we ran the power wire for his amp and subs. If you've got subs i'd bet that's where it's from, if not, I am of NO HELP good luck tho

Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just have all the factory installed stuff on my car, nothing extra or fancy :-)

Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen this issue come up a number of times on the forum. Often times the leak is coming from the passenger compartment air filter. Not the engine air filter behind your headlight. Check the 6th gen How To section for complete info on how to access the filter and change it yourself. Check the seal while you're at it. It's most likely the cause of your leak.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

x2 on the cabin air filter. There is a stupid rubber strip that is supposed to guide the water away from the filter and it falls off all the time.

I have a permanent fix put on. Part # 15794785

Just have to grind a piece of plastic away from the original cowl piece so it fits but its a piece of cake.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 03-04-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Wow im so glad i found this thread! I have this same problem. I Live in Ohio and its freezing here so everytime i get in my car lately my windshield has been frosted over and the floor on my pasenger side is wet all the time so ill have to check out my cabin air filter thanks guys!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM

I had this happen two summers ago and i thought it was rain coming in but after a few days of no rain and the puddle hadnt gotten any smaller.

It turned out to be a leak in my air conditioning system. I had recently been in to have it repaired and the technician had forgotten to put some plug back in to keep water from dripping into the interior.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks! I will check the air filter. I wonder if last time i got my oil changed they checked it and didnt put it back in right.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

It really is such a stupid piece of rubber that falls off. Make sure you keep your wipers in the up position when you shut the car off and then just unclip the cowl on the passenger side. You'll see the rubber right underneath

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
x2 on the cabin air filter. There is a stupid rubber strip that is supposed to guide the water away from the filter and it falls off all the time.

I have a permanent fix put on. Part # 15794785

Just have to grind a piece of plastic away from the original cowl piece so it fits but its a piece of cake.
Is this the part number for that black plastic tray under the cowl? It is about 18 long and maybe 4 inches wide? I had to put one on the wife's gtp. It kept shorting out the blower motor and the floor was getting wet. This resolved it.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 03-04-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Water on floor mat, scraped the inside of my windshield this morning :(