General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

- Visible Solutions to Invisible Problems -

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - Visible Solutions to Invisible Problems -

[align=center][/align][align=center]Visible Solutions to Invisible Problems [/align][align=center]
Pat Goss of MotorWeek & Space from SomeWhere
[/align]
[align=center]
Few things are as important to safe driving as good visibility, so let's start with the windshield wipers. The blades themselves have to be maintained in good condition, so you should look at them periodically to make sure that the edge of the blade isn't torn, it isn't gouged or anything like that. You can also make your blades last longer if you clean them every couple months or so using an alcohol swab. Simply take the swab out of the package and run it along the edge of the blade. You'll be amazed at what comes off! [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]That helps keep them cleaning properly and does make them last longer, but sooner or later you're going to have to replace the blades, and when that time comes you might want to step up to something that I've been using for a while now, and that's Teflon blades. I've been very impressed with them. They do an exceptional job of cleaning and they wear a long time.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]But the best blades in the world can't help if the windshield is all coated with grime. That grime comes from oils and greases and so on that build up on the roads, and during the first few minutes of a rain they get splattered onto a windshield. It doesn't come off easily so you may have to use a special automotive cleaner, like this Stoner product or these two polishes from Griot's Garage. That will get the film off, but then if you want to keep the windshield cleaner longer you might want to use a product like Rain-X. Rain-X fills in the little pores in the glass and helps to keep the dirt from building up. Does a good job![/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]But then comes the issue of being able to see: how good are the lights on your car? Well, there are improvements available. These are Phillips Night Guide Bulbs, and they use three different colors: they have white to see down the road, they have a yellowish tint that is comforting as far as the visibility to the left, and they have a blue color that's off to the right so you can see signs and things better. Interesting technology! Oh, and by the way, when you put those new bulbs in, here again it's time for your alcohol swab. If you ever touch one these bulbs with your hand it will leave oil on there and when it's lit it will cause the bulb to fail. So, the last thing you do is you make sure that you wipe all of the fingerprints off of the glass on the bulb to make it last longer. Do that with the alcohol swab. Makes them last like they should.
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]If you have a question or comment, write to me, don't[/align][align=center][b]write to `Space, he don't know nothing.
The address is MotorWeek, Ow

Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Default RE: - Visible Solutions to Invisible Problems -

[align=center][/align][align=center]3-in-1 color technology for maximum safety and advanced headlamp performance
NightGuide is the most advanced halogen bulb we’ve ever developed, providing a level of safety, style, and performance unmatched by any other halogen on the market. NightGuide headlamp bulbs feature special technology that projects specific colors of light into three distinct visual zones, to dramatically improve nighttime visibility. In the center zone, a brilliant white beam, up to 50 feet longer than standard halogens, improves drivers’ vision and reaction time. In the right zone, blue light enhances readability of road signs and markers. In the left zone, yellow light reduces glare for oncoming cars and improves drivers’ concentration on the center zone.

In addition to delivering the maximum improvement in nighttime driving safety and performance, NightGuide bulbs provide unique style – their tri-color beam can be seen clearly in the headlamp reflectors. The color reflections create a high performance look unlike anything you’ve seen before.

If you want the maximum improvement in nighttime driving visibility and confidence, NightGuide is the clear choice.

Available in:
9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, H7

•
Highest level of safety and performance of any halogen bulb

•
Up to 50 ft. longer beam than conventional bulbs

•
Unique tri-color style

[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][hr][align=center][:-]Below Source Link [:-]
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...nightguide.php

[/align][align=center]MCF Members: Has any member purchased/installed these bulbs ?[/align][align=center]Please give us a report...Please Post, Thanks[/align]

Old 05-27-2007, 09:56 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click for Tricoproducts Wipers [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.tricoproducts.com/teflon/...n.html?retry=1[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What's the choice of Wismer's High Performance Auto Parts, Mod ~WizKidd?[/align]

Old 05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space,

Excellent adviceabout visibility and the wipers + lights used on a car.

I've detailed many cars (well, a few) for years and I make it a pint to wipe the grit n grime that collect on wiper blades off when I clean the car.

You wouldn't believe the junk that comes off them.

I would like to replace the stock bulbs in the driving lights of my '06 Monte with a better bulb but I'm not sure what to buy? Such as the size needed to replace the stock bulbs?

Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Has any member purchased the below bulbs for their Monte Carlo ?
If yes, please post your opinions/results/review
Thanks
[align=center][/align][align=center]3-in-1 color technology for maximum safety and advanced headlamp performance [/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]Previously posted
[/align]
Clearing Up Cloudy Headlights
Pat Goss
Here's a problem that has become literally epidemic. Cloudy, discolored headlamp lenses. This is caused by the ultra-violet light from the sun. It attacks the surface of the plastic and causes it to get little pock marks and checks in it and so on, and you see it as this cloudy appearance. That diffuses the light into the air around the car and in general you can't see when it happens. The unfortunate thing is it happens when the car isn't all that old, too. But the fortunate thing will be that most of these can be restored.
What determines whether they can be restored or not restored is if the damage is on the outside of the lens, or on the inside; if it's on the inside it's caused by moisture intrusion and you'll probably have to replace the entire lamp assembly - expensive! But fortunately the majority of them will be on the outside and you can restore them as we have done here.
If you look at this lens, the left side is very discolored. Over here (right side) we've polished it using a special kit for polishing headlamps and as you can see it looks virtually like new. Now, you have two options. You can take it to the shop. The shop is going to use a power tool with a special buffer, usually operated by air, but the pads and the speed of the buffer and everything are designed so that they won't burn the plastic in the lens of the headlight. Now, this will also involve the use of three different chemicals, there will be a cleaner, that's step number one. Then a restorer that's going to polish the plastic, that's step number two and step number three is a sealer that seals it against the elements and helps reflect ultra-violet light. So, expect to pay something on the order of an hour's worth of labor plus $15 or $20 for the material.
If you're into do-it-yourself well, there are a lot of kits on the market, one of the better ones is made by Permatex, it has all that you need to do a very good job. Follow the directions to the letter and you should be pleased with the results.
But, there's something else: masking tape. Use masking tape and old newspaper to mask off the paint around the headlight so that you don't get any of these chemicals onto the paint. You don't want to spot the paint. Now, whenever you're dealing with masking tape, get it onto the car and get it off of the car as quickly as possible, never use it in sunlight because it will absolutely weld itself to the paint - you'll have a real mess on your hands. So, on and off as soon as you're done.
[align=center][/align]

Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 PM

When the factory "flat style" blades needed replacing on my 06,I went with a set of BOSCH ICONS.They are a flat style blade similar to the original equipment blades.My wife liked them so much I got her a set for her car.They aren't cheap though..........about $45 a pair,verses about $12 a pair for cheap blades.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Great info Space

As far as headlights and wipers go, I still have the stock ones in.....

Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey space, we use bosch icon's up here @ Wismer's Auto parts, well thats the premium ones we push! they're awesome blades, i have them on my monte and i love em

as for cleaning headlights there's a lot of products on the market, whether any of them are better than other's i dont know, but i've yet to use one that works by hand yet

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

For Stinky Cars & Drivers

June 6, 2007

Vehicle odors

By MCF Moderator Wiz Kidd
[font="arial, helvetica"][size=2]
The package arrived at the perfect time. Inside, I found a sample from Auto Expressions of their new Odor Out. I had just bought a vehicle that was unbearable inside: time to see if this new odour-removing product was up to the task.

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]First, let me qualify my test by telling you that Odor Out was never designed to work in the situation I was about to use it in. The vehicle I had just bought was initially going to be used as a parts car. It was a 1964 Chev Impala sedan and the price was right. So was the condition of the car. As I looked it over more carefully after it was pulled out of the weeds and deep grass, I realized I was looking at one of the finest rust-free 1964 Chevy's I had seen in our part of the country in over twenty years. It was loaded with options and everything appeared original, right down to the almost perfect hubcaps. It was a really nice car, and the mice thought so too! An open air vent had allowed mice into the interior. This wasn't one or two mice - it was a family home and had been for years. The interior looked really good, but open a door and the smell would knock you over. As soon as I got the car home, I put on my respirator and went to work. My first step was to try some of the Odor Out on the interior so I could stand working in the car. [/align][center]Odor Out comes in three scents, each with a light pleasant fragrance. The Cotton scent proved to be the most popular with co-workers, while Mint was a close second. Citrus was our least favourite, although it was still nice. Mint and Citrus scents are something we could visualize before trying the product. Cotton scent was a mystery until we tried it. It reminded me of fresh clothes off the clothes line - delicate yet that unmistakable scent of clean fresh air. Unlike car fresheners, Odor Out neutralizes the odour instead of masking it.
Odor Out comes in four styles. There is a clip-on unit that snaps on to a dash vent and has a control dial to vary the amount of fragrance released. We didn't try that type. Instead, we had the 341-ml interior spray bottle, a compact 57-ml sprayer small enough to fit in the glove box and a hide-away gel package that can be placed discreetly anywhere in the vehicle.
I am sure you have sat in a vehicle that had one of those overpowering pine fresheners hanging from the dash. They may smell good at first, but soon prove to be too strong. I have also used odour removers that left a strong after-scent. Although they worked, they too, smelled just too much. Was the Odor Out up to the task?
[b]First, I sprayed the interior with the 341-ml bottle of "Cotton" scent. There was still the essence of mouse, but at least I could work inside the vehicle. Once a vehicle has had mice in it for some time, the only real fix is to replace all the interior and that is what I started doing. Out came the seats. Then the carpet. Next, the door panels and headliner were removed. I sprayed some more Odor Out on the seat fabric and it definitely reduced the amount of odour. Remember, this product was really designed to neutralize odours from more normal use, such as food spills inside the vehicle or leaving that sweat-filled sports bag in the

Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM

[align=center]Members, you must be from Canada to read below infor

by Moderator Wiz Kidd
Bugs! (the flying kind) [/align][align=center]
[font="arial, helvetica"][size=2]I remember well the time my Uncle drove out to the prairies from his home on the West Coast. He knew his black truck was a magnet for all those bugs we see in the summer, so to prevent them from sticking to his shiny paint, he applied a liberal dosage of a spray-on cooking oil. After all, he had heard from many others that it would allow the bugs to be washed quickly off.

Unfortunately, my Uncle also happened to be travelling when the Cottonwoods were in flower and the air was filled with white fluff. As you can imagine, his truck soon looked like it had been tarred and feathered. Yes, the bugs did wash off easily, but only after he had endured several days of friendly ribbing about his fluffy truck. Now there is a better way to keep the bugs from sticking to your vehicle: it's made by RainX and they call it "Bug and Tar Protective Shield."
Bug and Tar is a spray-on product that will protect your vehicle for up to two weeks. Just as the name says, it forms a protective shield that prevents bugs and tar from sticking to the paint. Instead, they stick to the coating, which can then be washed off the vehicle easily.
I tried it out on my truck during a recent trip in Alberta. The vehicle should be clean and dry before spraying the product on. There is a disclaimer that freshly waxed surfaces may compromise performance. I didn't have to worry about that! As I sprayed the Bug and Tar shield on the grille, bumpers, hood and mirrors of my truck, its scent reminded me of mosquito repellent. I thought maybe it repelled the bugs, but no, it didn't seem to scare the bugs off when the truck was sitting still, but they did easily wash off with the protective film just as the directions stated.
So why is Bug and Tar Protective Shield better than cooking oil? The material sprays on wet but soon becomes a dry film. You can see where the material is on the paint because it looked slightly shiner than the paint, but you would have to look to notice it.
After driving for several hundred kilometres, I found that the Bug and Tar did have some bugs stuck to it but there were less there than the test area where I hadn't sprayed. There was also less dirt film on the paint where I had sprayed, although the product doesn't claim to repel dirt.
There are other alternatives to preventing bugs and tar from sticking to and staining the paint or grille. You could install a bug screen on the front of the vehicle, but they can be difficult to find. Or, you could install a bra on the vehicle, but the disadvantage is that they can rub on the paint and cause damage to the finish if the vehicle isn't kept perfectly clean.
Another alternative is to have a clear protective plastic film applied. 3M makes a plastic film that can cut to the shape of your vehicle and applied over paint. When the material is on the vehicle, it looks like the original paint except for the small line where the edge of the plastic sheet ends. This material is fairly expensive. To have the material cut to the shape of your vehicle and professionally applied, it may cost you $500 to $600 dollars or more, but the material also protects against rock chips as well. If you no longer want the plastic material on the vehicle, it can be peeled off without damaging the paint.
[b]Bugs can stain the paint or plastic grilles so removing them frequently is important to keeping that vehicle looking good. T

Quick Reply: - Visible Solutions to Invisible Problems -