General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Value

Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member
Default Value

Ok all I know with modifications that we do to our cars we slightly increase the value of them not by much but it still slightly goes up. Do you think this is the case with the special editions (dale sr, dale jr, gordon...etc) Or with this would you be decreasing the value by not keeping it all orginial just like any other special edition/collectors item

Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Modifications almost never increase the value of the car unless the buyer specifically wants what was done.

With that said, these "special editions" will probably never be worth a ton of money.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lets say for instance you wanted to trade it in at a dealer....
There just going to give you base model value.... Regardless of Mods,additions etc....

The only way your going to get any extra... Is like Mike(Chibi) said...
In a private sale and if they want the additions, mods etc...

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member

one of my friends had a civic, he took it to a dealer and they gave him a price of what they would give him trade in. Then he did some mods and he took it back and they were gonna give him $2,000 more trade in for it.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tweek
one of my friends had a civic, he took it to a dealer and they gave him a price of what they would give him trade in. Then he did some mods and he took it back and they were gonna give him $2,000 more trade in for it.
I don't know anything about what "Honda" does...
I do however, know what GM will do...
They just give base model price regardless of Mods...

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Your best bet would be if you plan to mod your car, is to keep all the stock parts. Then when you go to trade the car in or sell it, remove all the parts and install the stock parts and then sell all your mods on sites like this, LS1tech.com, GMls4.com, craigslist, etc. And you will get a lot more money that way.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by tweek
Did he have the car painted? Maybe he fixed a few of the flaws that their service department would have had to pay to fix.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by iMuf
Your best bet would be if you plan to mod your car, is to keep all the stock parts. Then when you go to trade the car in or sell it, remove all the parts and install the stock parts and then sell all your mods on sites like this, LS1tech.com, GMls4.com, craigslist, etc. And you will get a lot more money that way.

x2 - don't ever expect to get money out of selling a car with mods. Return is always terrible.

If you're planning to sell the modded car down the road, do a demod just before you sell it to get off as much as you possibly can. Plus selling a car with a bunch of mods kinda pigeonholes you into a specific market- as most normal people aren't looking to buy a modded car, and even some 'car people' stay away from it because they don't know the quality of install.

As far as thinking a special edition is going to be worth any real extra money- unless its a low mileage car that you're parking for awhile, then I wouldn't even worry about it. If its something you drive it often, the value is going to tank to near scrap value over time, just like every other car.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Some car shows have a "For Sale Corral" If you have a modded car that you do not want to de-mod and sell. I would try there.

It is a special breed that looks for an already modded car. Any rate, you will never get back what you paid into it for mods (fixes to things that are flawed may help the value)

Last edited by Tadcaster; 11-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
x2 - don't ever expect to get money out of selling a car with mods. Return is always terrible.

If you're planning to sell the modded car down the road, do a demod just before you sell it to get off as much as you possibly can. Plus selling a car with a bunch of mods kinda pigeonholes you into a specific market- as most normal people aren't looking to buy a modded car, and even some 'car people' stay away from it because they don't know the quality of install.

As far as thinking a special edition is going to be worth any real extra money- unless its a low mileage car that you're parking for awhile, then I wouldn't even worry about it. If its something you drive it often, the value is going to tank to near scrap value over time, just like every other car.
Kinda like that one intimidator (I think) that had like 1000 miles on it or something crazy low like that (may have been lower) that sold at an auction for I wanna say in the $20,000 range. I was trying to look it up on google but I can't for the life of me remember what auction I saw that on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Value