General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Used 2001 Monte Carlo SS owner with some general questions prior to road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:42 PM
1 Year Member
Default Used 2001 Monte Carlo SS owner with some general questions prior to road trip!

Hi there, also new to this forum but didn't feel this topic was suited for the New Member section.

So, I got a 2001 Monte Carlo SS (black) --- I was always a financing kinda guy until payments caught up with me and other stuff. So, I wanted to buy used.

Found a 2001 Monte Carlo SS for sale, used, 'barn find' from out of town. REAL good shape, new transmission, with 200,000 KM on it. Leather, auto/power everything, good cruiser.

No check engine lights, nothing on the dash, I get the oil light once in awhile but the oil is good - just imagine it wasn't reset (which I've figured out how to do).

She drives real smooth, car just feels great. Used, 16 years old with 200,000KM on it, I just don't get a bad vibe.

Here's the thing though. I've put only about 1,000KM on it since I got it (if that). On May long weekend I am doing a road trip (12 hours one way, 12 hours back, probably about 2200-2400 KM total).

I don't feel or see any issues with the vehicle at the moment, but I've never taken an 'older' car on a lengthy trip such as this. Mostly newer, well within warranty, or what have you.

I don't know if I am asking something here, but maybe looking for some peace of mind. I love this thing, it drives great, it feels great --- but aside from air pressure, fluids, stuff like that - is there any 'Monte specific' stuff I might be able to check before I go, to 'feel safe'?

The drive is very curvy and mountainous (beautiful) and I'm really excited. But scared because of the high mileage.

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte specific crate of toys has jumper cables, 50/50 dexcool mix, MAF cleaner spray, assorted bits and sockets (10, 13, 15 mm, and T-15,20,25 security Torx are very common), Dex6 fluid, cigarette lighter air compressor, and a quart of oil.

Before a long trip, and especially since you just bought the car essentially, I would get an oil change, flush coolant, and do a pan drop, filter change for the transmission.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Without knowing the mainance history I would suggest starting from scratch with a 100,000 mile maintenance. You can do the metric conversion lol.
Just keep in mind ...no matter how thorough your maintenance is, with age and mileage anything can fail at any time.

Here's a link to the 100K maintenance thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/fwd-monte-maintenance-100-000-miles-46078/?highlight=100%2C000+mile+maintenance

Have a safe trip.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM
1 Year Member

You guys are great.

Thank you

Old 05-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Good luck with your car!!

Another thing you may want to consider is Check over the coolant/radiator hoses, its a good idea to change them now as they may still be the originals.
Also you may want to put in a new air filter, a fuel filter is a good idea also, I am not sure if this car has a cabin filter (might be in the glove box area that may need to be replaced also.

Consult the owners manual for this but these cars will shift in and out of OD around the 45MPH speed, if you are in the mountains you might want to select regular drive when going up or down the road puts less stress on the Transmission.
Good luck with your car!!
have a safe trip!!

Old 05-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A can of Fix a Flat, can of gas, 12 pack of beer, family size bag of chips and your AAA Card...