General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Update on my monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:15 AM
Default Update on my monte

Hey guys I've been working on my monte and haven't had time to browse. Replaced my whole cooling system except water pump. Radiator, hoses, thermostat but I didn't have time for the water pump. It's not looking good for the monte. When I took off the thermostat there was so much build up in the engine and on it that I don't think the monte is worth it. I only bought 350 in parts but the car is so beat up that it's only worth 1500 at most. I have pictures of all the gross stuff that I can post in an album of you guys want to see the damage.

I think the head gasket is really bad and my water pump is seized. I can't afford to pay someone to work on the gasket.

Last edited by Cyclok; 12-15-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bummer about the head gasket, you were on a good pace. The water pump is easy, but unless you tackle the head gasket(s) yourself the labor makes it an expensive repair. Hate to see any Monte go the that big JY in the sky, let alone an Intimidator.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:01 AM

Thanks Plumbob, and I'm right there with you. I won't junk it no matter what. The repairs are just going to be time consuming. I love my monte and wouldn't dare give it away to anything.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:36 AM

I'm guessing it's a 3800? Usually don't see those head gaskets go. Sure it's not lower intake gaskets? Without looking it up probably a engine gasket set is about $150. Heads off to the shop (call for pricing) usually about $80 around here or buy remaned for about $150 ea all day long around here.

Best of luck to get it repaired! I hear ya. My Impala has gotten beat up (a few wrecks not at fault) I just put some nice work into it and it runs like a champ so I'll save the money on another car for a while.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by WBody
I'm guessing it's a 3800? Usually don't see those head gaskets go. Sure it's not lower intake gaskets? Without looking it up probably a engine gasket set is about $150. Heads off to the shop (call for pricing) usually about $80 around here or buy remaned for about $150 ea all day long around here.

Best of luck to get it repaired! I hear ya. My Impala has gotten beat up (a few wrecks not at fault) I just put some nice work into it and it runs like a champ so I'll save the money on another car for a while.
I preemptively bought a gasket set just incase. So I have that covered. Here's a pic of the inside of my oil cap. Can you tell what it is based on this?

Attached Thumbnails Update on my monte-20161214_165539.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 AM

Definitely oil and coolant mixture. 3800s don't usually have head gaskets go, but that doesn't mean they don't. I don't know what year GM started with better gaskets (metal lower intake manifold) but everything does have a life and the car is now 12-14 years old.

Let's hope it's the LIM gaskets! Easy to replace, cheap, not heads! How long has it been like this? You could test from hydro carbons in the cooling system.

Edit: what hoses did you replace? When you're doing this, it'd be a good idea to replace any hoses attached to the throttle body and the heater core. Might as well since you've got room while you're in there as well as getting that water pump done. I'd also have a quick look at your power steering pump since you're right there. Check for leaks at the reservoir and repair as needed. I know how money can be tight, but it will save you time and headache getting extra 'little' things done.

Last edited by WBody; 12-16-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:28 AM

Definitely oil and coolant mixture. 3800s don't usually have head gaskets go, but that doesn't mean they don't. I don't know what year GM started with better gaskets (metal lower intake manifold) but everything does have a life and the car is now 12-14 years old.

Let's hope it's the LIM gaskets! Easy to replace, cheap, not heads! How long has it been like this? You could test from hydro carbons in the cooling system.

Edit: what hoses did you replace? When you're doing this, it'd be a good idea to replace any hoses attached to the throttle body and the heater core. Might as well since you've got room while you're in there as well as getting that water pump done. I'd also have a quick look at your power steering pump since you're right there. Check for leaks at the reservoir and repair as needed. I know how money can be tight, but it will save you time and headache getting extra 'little' things done.
Thanks for all the advice. I'll get all those parts just because why not. It's been Ike this for a few weeks bit I've only driven it once since it went wonky on me and that was to test the radiator.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 AM

I would recommend all new rubber because stuff in the JY is usually old too. What were you testing on the radiator?

Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM

I would recommend all new rubber because stuff in the JY is usually old too. What were you testing on the radiator?
Because the car was overheating I replaced the whole cooling system except the water pump.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:41 PM

If you know how to use or know someone with a block test kit give that a try.