Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Underbody rust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/underbody-rust-42328/)

Mike 00LS 04-24-2013 08:14 PM

The rusty metal primer is ok. It'll attach pretty well, but it won't hold up well after a while. When I painted my support braces under the hood, they were rusted especially around the bolts. Sanded and primed the whole bar with that stuff, then paint and clear. It's already peeling and rusting in the same spots.

03JGMonte 04-24-2013 08:18 PM

Looks good, but that's an odd dent in the impact bar lol

The_Maniac 04-24-2013 08:22 PM

Looks good so far, but I am concerned based on what Mike 00LS mentioned (as what he stated he used it on is a low traffic area for damage and it's already pealing).

If it does not hold up, consider POR15. I've used POR15 before and that stuff is crazy. If you brush it on a surface (as I've done before), it "flattens" out real nice. But you must follow their system.

Food for thought. I'll keep my fingers crossed that what you did holds up. Time will tell. But it looks a lot better.

Red Nightmare 04-24-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte (Post 545103)
Looks good, but that's an odd dent in the impact bar lol

I got stuck a few times during Nemo, had to get yanked out of some snow piles. That was the spot I was yanked from 4 times..(if you were wondering..)

03JGMonte 04-24-2013 09:14 PM

Ahh I see, should add a tow hook while under there :rotfl:

Red Nightmare 04-24-2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 545106)
Looks good so far, but I am concerned based on what Mike 00LS mentioned (as what he stated he used it on is a low traffic area for damage and it's already pealing).

If it does not hold up, consider POR15. I've used POR15 before and that stuff is crazy. If you brush it on a surface (as I've done before), it "flattens" out real nice. But you must follow their system.

Food for thought. I'll keep my fingers crossed that what you did holds up. Time will tell. But it looks a lot better.

Its only temporary until I have money to get the whole underside professionally done.

Red Nightmare 04-24-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte (Post 545134)
Ahh I see, should add a tow hook while under there :rotfl:

I was thinking of that after that night.....
getting stuck 5 times in a row...a normal 15 minute trip lasted from 9pm-3am..

STUMPMI 04-24-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare (Post 545143)
I was thinking of that after that night.....
getting stuck 5 times in a row...a normal 15 minute trip lasted from 9pm-3am..

Id say that definately needs to be replaced!

I realize your Money is funny...
But I would be concerned about the rear alignment,tire wear etc...
not to mention the safety aspect.:thumbsup:

Otherwise Jen::)
Your hard work is definately paying off Nice Job!:congrats:

Red Nightmare 04-24-2013 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 545144)
Id say that definately needs to be replaced!

I realize your Money is funny...
But I would be concerned about the rear alignment,tire wear etc...
not to mention the safety aspect.:thumbsup:

Otherwise Jen::)
Your hard work is definately paying off Nice Job!:congrats:

This one was done by a hook, metal does alot more damage than rope does. Rear tire tread is perfect, no signs of uneven wear since. Also the welds on the bumper supports seem well intact. :) I got to inspect alot after I chiseled all the bubbled paint off & everything seems good:thumbsup: (besides a few missing fasteners thats it)

zjerry 04-24-2013 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare (Post 545147)
This one was done by a hook, metal does alot more damage than rope does. Rear tire tread is perfect, no signs of uneven wear since. Also the welds on the bumper supports seem well intact. :) I got to inspect alot after I chiseled all the bubbled paint off & everything seems good:thumbsup: (besides a few missing fasteners thats it)

That little bend where the hook bent the bumper should be fine.:thumbsup:

Attachment 32759