General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The Ultimate 3.4L performance parts guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 AM
Default The Ultimate 3.4L performance parts guide

There has beeen a recent surge of 3.4L people wanting to mod, i decided i would give a list and what each one does. If you have anything to add to this list...please reply with USEFUL information.

Please Read First:

If you do anything like turbo/supercharger or some heavy duty mods, you will have to upgrade to a HD Tranny because the stock tranny wont last long. Also if you go through RSM Racing, their core charges are refunded via store credit. We know there is a website (doctorspeed.com), but try to stay far away from this place, have had many members get very bad service and some not get their products from them.

Having problem find the part? The 3.4L Grand Am has the same engine just the battery is where the intake is, otherwise the engine parts should be a direct fit.

If you see something that says "GMPI #" please refer to this link. The reason i cant post it is because the URL changes every couple months. Once you get in, (typing impala...) go to the 1..2...3.. at the top for serach for document # and type in the # listed.

Also a handy pickup book might be the Haynes Manual # 24048. You can pick it up at autozone or Amazon

************************************************** ************************************

Cold Air Intake (CAI) (who doesn't want a CAI?)

SLP CAI
http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...y_Code=IMUNDER

Modified SLP CAI (clear cover)

Wizaired CAI
http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=247

Wizaired How-To Install
http://www.easyperformance.com/CAI/3...tion_Rev_B.pdf

Or, you can build your own fenderwell intake for cheaper. Here are some pics to get you started.Reminder, If you do a FWI, you will have to find a way to put your PCM. Some use velcro, twisty ties but the best way is to use the GM PCM tray part # "15995679."

Instructions on how to build your own
http://home.centurytel.net/grandprix/fwi/

FWI: Intense racing air-duct
http://www.intense-racing.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=IF

Picture of intake in the fenderwell

Here are the instructions on how to build a Intake

Parts used:

3' of the Intense ducting 3.5" diameter.
K&N 7" cone filter.
GM PCM tray #15995679
Small diameter plastic PVC pipe for PCM tray feet
Misc. screws, nuts, washers, etc.

A fenderwell intake is just like it sounds, an intake that draws fresh cold air from the space in the fender. But the problem is the triangular hole that the intake tube goes in has to be widened to allow the tube to fit thru. The way to do this is to put the ducting in place & outline with the marker to figure out how much to cut. Go ahead and consider another half inch to spare. With the airbox already out of the way, hold the Dremel pointing towards you like attempting a self inflicted wound. Holding it like normal doesn't work unless you're gonna lay across your engine to do this. Using both hands & holding the Dremel like you're gonna stab yourself (the cutting end is pointing down to your palm & not up thru your fingers), bend over the fender & cut along the line you marked. Its tough & you'll have to put new bits often b/c they catch on the curve & break. Its only cheap flexible cutting disks anyway but be careful.

The metal pointing down is tough & cutting the curve took a while but being patient & slow really helps. Once almost around, get some BIG plyers & wiggle back & forth on the pieces to be removed until they break off. File the remnants of sharp metal there & elsewher

Old 09-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Default RE: The Ultimate 3.4L performance parts guide

04 thanks for the write up.

Is this your car? with the fender well intake?

I have mine sitting here just havent gotit on the car any more i am trying to figure out a way to make a try for the PCM that will cover it up again to protect it. and keep it better sheilded from teh elements.

Was wondering if you had used the directions above for the PCM tray?

If so can you show some good photos of it?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:12 AM

Very nice write up Rich!!!!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

04 thanks for the write up.

Is this your car? with the fender well intake?

I have mine sitting here just havent gotit on the car any more i am trying to figure out a way to make a try for the PCM that will cover it up again to protect it. and keep it better sheilded from teh elements.

Was wondering if you had used the directions above for the PCM tray?

If so can you show some good photos of it?
This write up is a culmination of info from many places/sources. The only thing I've done on the list is exhaust. The only things I'm gonna do still, is intake, u-bend delete and maybe get a chip. All the other stuff, IMO, is a waste unless you go FI. I don't have a money tree in my backyard so I gotta pick and choose what I throw my money at, and IMO, spending the ridiculous amounts of money it takes to make these things decent "all motor" isn't worth it.

On a side note, my buddy did a custom intake setup on his 2000 Monte LS, his ECU is held in place by some type of clamp thingy, he says it's stock. The only thing I don't like is that it's exposed, but it damn sure ain't going nowhere.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass
Very nice write up Rich!!!!
Gotta sprinkle in some meaningful posts every now and then

Thanks

Old 09-29-2005, 05:40 PM

i hear ya but i wat to make sure mne dont go any where but also is protected some from the elements.

I just dont trust the whole weather protect connections that much

Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

i hear ya but i wat to make sure mne dont go any where but also is protected some from the elements.

I just dont trust the whole weather protect connections that much
[&:]

Old 09-30-2005, 01:42 PM

I made my own fender mount intake for my 3.4 monte carlo, i have the computer exposed for the past 4 months and have had no problems. Thats with detailing my engine twice. Those computers are "suppose" to be air tight.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:45 PM

i forgot, i cut the factory box in half so that i could set the bottom part of the intake box back onto the frame and rest the computer back in the factory setting. it did take some time to cut the box but well worth.
also if you are still worried about "other elements" go and get some heat shield wrap and wrap your computer up.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 PM

also looking for anyone who knows of an internet site that has a good amount of fiber glass hood scoop inserts. i am going to cut one into my hood instead of buying a 700 hundred dollar hood

Quick Reply: The Ultimate 3.4L performance parts guide