General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

True Cost to Owning a Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question True Cost to Owning a Monte Carlo ?

The True Cost Of Owning A Car ? $ ?

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...-ownership.asp

Click above link
Post your thoughts on the above articles information, and
`if you believe it is accurate.
I believe the mental cost of owning a Super Clean Car,
especially a Monte Carlo is very stressful trying to
keep it in good condition...
Road Hazards/parking Lots/Crazy careless drivers, the
bad weather elements + more.

Please post your thoughts Thanks
===============================================
Below is from Edmunds.com

True Cost to Own: Reveal the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

By Phillip Reed
You've narrowed your choices to two new cars, but you can't seem to decide which one is really the better deal.
The purchase price of each car is nearly the same. The features are similar, and you like the way they both look. Still, a nagging feeling tells you that there must be a meaningful difference between them, even if it's not readily apparent during the purchase process.
Your intuition is right on the money. And now there is a new tool that reveals the hidden costs -- all the costs -- associated with buying, owning and operating a car over a five-year-period. It's called True Cost to OwnSM (TCO for short), and it is a revolutionary new consumer service provided by Edmunds Inc.
Read Full Article

Attached Thumbnails True Cost to Owning a Monte Carlo ?-kid-montecarlo.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM

I've used Edmund's TCO feature in the past. Seems like a good tool, but just one of many, in search of answers prior to purchasing a new / used vehicle. They seem to do a good job of analyzing the different cost parameters for a given vehicle. If they do they're homework properly, I can only assume that it's relatively accurate.

That being said, I would also caution that the figures used are averages from multiple people's experiences. There's no guarantee that you'll get the same result from your specific car. 'Mileage may vary' as they say.

Our Monte is a good example. We've had it for about 9 years, about 140K miles. It's been a great car with respect to maintenance. Very little outside of routine maintenance has been required. But many others with the exact same year / model have had lots of issues. Estimated maint. costs are tough to accurately predict.

The other things Edmunds considers (fuel costs, insurance, depreciation, etc) are easier to accurately predict.

All in all, I think TCO is a good tool. It's not perfect, but does give a good snapshot of what to expect a particular vehicle to really cost you long term.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM

...Thanks `Dave for your input/thoughts...We appreciate your experience with your Monte Carlo and all your contributions to our Monte Carlo Family.....

I agree the above articles are a close quesstimate, but it is helpful in determining the high cost of owning a vehicle in today's world...

I believe that if you love your Monte, that you have to treat it with love to keep it running & looking close to new : )
"Love your Monte & it will Love you back ~> Abuse your Monte & it will sure abuse `YOU" On `No
Thank You...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Below is another interesting article for Member's...

Should I buy a new car or keep the one I have ? ? ? ?
To me it all comes down to Fun & $'s

\Saving money: Buying a new car vs. keeping a used car - MSN Money

You might simply spend $56 on a AAA Basic membership and carry a cell phone, reminding yourself ... Find one you like. Flatter him. Pay your bills on time. ... Would I pay this much every month for the car that's in my driveway already? ...
articles.moneycentral.msn.com/.../SaveonaCar/KeepYourOldClunkerOrBuyANewCar.aspx - Cached - Similar

Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
I believe that if you love your Monte, that you have to treat it with love to keep it running & looking close to new : )
"Love your Monte & it will Love you back ~> Abuse your Monte & it will sure abuse `YOU" On `No
Thank You...
You got that right, Space! A little TLC and preventive maintenance goes a LONG way.

Good article on keeping old vs. buying new car. It also highlights the importance of preventive maint. if you plan on keeping your car a long time.