General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Trouble finding headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Default Trouble finding headlights

My grandfather wanted me to see if I could find a cheap/used headlight for his 1987 Monte Carlo LS, but I'm having trouble because his terminology of what he wants doesn't match what I'm seeing on websites. This is where I need your help.

The driver side headlights (the lens, I guess) are broken. Because of that, the car failed it's yearly inspection. My grandfather says he wants a low and high beam headlight capsule. He wants ribbed lens and composite. He says if he bought what he wants new, it would cost around $140. He's looking for something under $50 used.

Does it sound like my grandfather is looking for something like this - GE Headlight - click here
It looks like he would want two of these (one for high beam and one for low beam). I see that it's sealed beam, but I can't find any composites.

But then I saw this - HEADLIGHT, CAPSULE ASSEMBLY, DRIVER OUTER - click here
There are two of these. One is for the outer and one is for the inner (I assume this is low and high beam). But this particular one has something that looks like a bracket around it. I can't get an answer out of my grandfather as to whether this is what he wants and he isn't here to look at these pictures.

But then I wondered if he wanted something else.

Any ideas as to what he might be wanting? Like I said, the lens on the drivers side headlights are broken. The headlights still work though.

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

check here Welcome to Mike's Montes! or here Dixie Monte Carlo Depot Good luck and welcome to the site.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM

both the links you posted are the same. just one has the actual surround on it for adjustment, and the other is just the bulb. if he has the standard nose on the car than he should just need the bulb. if he has the euro nose on it than he probably needs the whole enclosure(i think all the 87 up ls cars had the euro nose.). ill post pics of both. if you would like post a pic of your gramps car. the headlight enclosure is pricey for the euro ill also post a link for that.

euro

standard

1987-88 Monte Carlo LS Euro headlight Drivers on eBay!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the help. My grandfather has the LS euro. He's looking for something like this - 1987-88 Monte Carlo LS Euro headlight Drivers | eBay But he does not want this particular one. What is the actual name of this part?
Thanks again.

Last edited by blu87; 05-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

headlight assembly I would say. Or just headlight but has too be the Euro as stated.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If its the price on the auction He doesnt like, Make the seller a lowball offer. Might be surprised.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Here's one in your price range (before shipping)

Monte Carlo LS Euro Head Light OEM 1988 LH | eBay

Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM

I don't know much about cars, so please forgive my ignorance. Is the headlight shown on eBay called a composite headlight? Is this the only type of headlight this car can use? Can it use sealed beam head lights? I'm wondering why I can find sealed beam headlights all over the internet for this car, but I can't find the composites (I guess that's what they're called).

Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

The post that TheMonteMan made is a good example of the difference between the sealed beam and euro headlight options. The sealed beam were more common, and those same units are used on many cars so they are widely available. This is why you easily find them. If you noticed, the euro head light integrates the low and high beam into a single housing unlike the sealed beam that are seperate. They are not as common so finding them is a bit more difficult. Yes, the euro style are considered a composite design.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 AM

what your looking for is the composite headlight housing. i had an 88 cutlass supreme that had the euro nose on it. the housing holds the light bulbs. on the standard nose cars they run sealed beam. sealed beams are the bulbs and the housing in one glass unit. you are probably better off combing junkyards if you want to find them butt cheap.

this looks exactly like my cutlass.

Quick Reply: Trouble finding headlights