General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

transmission whining and hard shifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Default transmission whining and hard shifts

so last week i check trans fluid and the dipstick had nothing on it, i put half quart dexron 6 and its fine, today it starts shifting hard as if i have a shift kit in it, i check the fluid and once again dipstick was clean so i put another half quart in it and its fine. But everywere ive parked theres no sign of it leaking tranny fluid. im pretty much stumped. car has 150,000 miles, tranny has around 70,000.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM

The transmission takes way more than 1 quart, the way you check the transmission fluid is with the car started and let it get to running temperature. Add fluid while it is running until it is at the ok mark on the dipstick. Drive the car and keep an eye on the fluid level everyday! If the fluid level starts to drop and there is no puddle under the car there is only one place it can be going. Your transmission fluid has a separate place in the radiator to cool it down while driving, it could have a hole internally mixing with the radiator fluid!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM

It could be your catalytic converter! Just happend to me! same problems!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM

ya ya i know how to check it, i just rebuilt the motor from block up. but i have also been having to put about half gallon of coolant in the car since the rebuild, car dont run hot no more or smoke, but radiator does have a leak somewere i can not see. i plan to buy new radiator 2nd week of september... ive been disappointed that i can not find a performance radiator for my 3.4L

so do you think its like a 50% chance its my radiator sharing the problem or like 99% chance.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM

Ok so you know how to check it but just sayin that if there is nothing on the dipstick and your only putting a quart in then the tranny will run hot because of not enough fluid and burn it off! It need to be filled the right way and at the right level. Im not even 50% on the radiator since you now say you have to keep adding radiator fluid! So you have to keep adding radiator fluid and tranny fluid? If you cannot see a leak at the radiator the fluid has to be going somewhere internally! Whether you have a intake gasket leaking or head gasket idk. Does the oil look milky? Be a little more specific! And this thread really needs to be posted in the General Tech section to get a little more opinions! I don't see how the catalytic convertor would have anything to do with it!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM

well i aint gonna overfill my tranny, so im only gonna put enough in it to fill it, wheather it is half quart or whole quart. i know for fact its not leaking internally cause i just replaced everything from block up. im thinking its just leaking out of radiator at night and drying by morning. so im gonna buy new radiator. and who has a problem with converter?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Oh ok it's just leaking at night now this makes alot of sense u should have said this before LMAO! And oh3monttess 4 post up said it could be your convertor! Good luck with this problem because from what i have heard from you makes no sense what so ever!