General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Is it too late, and the damage is done? Did I kill it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Default Is it too late, and the damage is done? Did I kill it?

I'll try to keep the back story brief, and get to the point. My 08 Impala gave out on New Years Eve after 300,025 plus miles. Without much time to shop and even less money, I landed an 01 LS. She didn't look or sound too bad on the test drive considering her condition and age. I hardly had the chance to look at one other vehicle, and no chance at a test drive. So my decision was made.

Within a week or two the problems started to surface. Everything from the ABS/Trac issues, DTC codes, no temp on the dash and a car that felt as if it was skating on ice. Fans were/are wired to run off a

10amp fuse at all times. I just wanted to blow it up. I see 10 MC's a day and they all look better.

My girlfriend said the oil needed to be changed bad and I just didn't care. I only intended to drive it on weekends until she wrecked her civic. I did the change and started to walk around to see why it skates. Found a broken sway bar bushings and the other was just amusing to observe. After replacing the bushings front wheel bearings, and 3 new tires, it drives like a different car and my moral is going up.
So for the last 2 weeks I kept putting work in. I bought a scanner, replaced the O2 in bank 1, solved the ABS/Trac problem, cleaned out the nastiest throttle body, and put in a new air filter. She can breathe, she's talking, MPG has increased, and now on to the fan issue. After sorting out wrong fuses with the wrong amps in the wrong place, I've begun to reverse troubleshoot and find out why they would gut the wires. In the meantime ordering new temp sensor, radiator hoses, T-stat, I flushed the cooling system of all kinds of gunk.

I'm worried the motor over heated, because now it idles rough and miss firing on multiple cylinders. With plugs, wires, and packs on the way I'm worried it's too late.

This forum has been a great tool and I hope to hear better news

Old 05-01-2022, 11:56 AM

I'd probably do a compression / leak down check, and send some oil off to analyze before going further.

What is the scan data telling you about the misfires?

TBH after seeing some of that stuff, I'd have probably offloaded the car, took the loss, and got another thats not such a basket case.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:14 PM

New coils, plugs, and wires. Sounds better every time I come from under the hood. Still lots of work to go. Seeing all these MC's are inspiring and depressing.

Thanks for your imput

Old 05-10-2022, 02:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just curious about the engine I am thinking 3400? Something that is simple issue at times is a Vacuum leak sometimes those old hoses will give you fits.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Boyd83
New coils, plugs, and wires. Sounds better every time I come from under the hood. Still lots of work to go. Seeing all these MC's are inspiring and depressing.

Thanks for your imput
I bought an 05 for $1000. About the only thing that HAS NOT been replaced is the motor and tranny. Be prepared. But I wanted this car, and spent far too much, but every time I drive it it gives me a smile. It has been over 8 months and nothing has broken. Finally reached the end I hope.