General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Are these HID's any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Are these HID's any good?

Hello.

I keep hearing about HID bulbs and how good they are for visibility.
I see these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-SET...spagenameZWDVW

Are these any good? I hear the price for HID's is high but this seems a bit on the low side. I imagine they come with everything, including the ballasts (I think they use them).
Any thoughts?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Default RE: Are these HID's any good?

Yeah they are great I have a pair in my car, I also have a pair in my truck, and my dad has a pair in his truck also.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member

Would these be simply the bulbs and are they direct replacements to what came stock?? I keep reading about these 'ballasts' that need to be mounted somewhere but for this price.. I wonder if they assume you have the ballasts and the bulbs are the only things you need to replace.....

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
10 Year Member

Well I went ahead and purchased the set. The vendor tells me they are direct replacement of stock bulbs. I imagine they are not 'true' HID bulbs but I'm still not too knowledgeable about them. I read about HID conversion kits and the like but from what the seller says... they would be HID bulbs so... they should be. I hope they work good :-)

Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM

They are a direct replacement and look exactly like the real HID's for a fraction of the price.
I reccomend these for anybody looking for that HID look.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I had a pair of those exact bulbs in my old 93 f150. THEY SUCKED! I couldnt see for s*** in the dark. They were just a blue glow. I had a close call the first time I drove with them, I almost drove off the road cause I couldnt see. I ended up changing back to stock bulbs. I threw those "HIDs" out.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member

Well, two differing opinions so far... they're on their way anyway (ordered before mrl390 piped in)... guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, try them out and get my own opinion formed at this point. I'll put a 'review' on here once they're installed and tried out in the dark *crossing my fingers that they work good*.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 PM

if your buying the HID Ballast system your fine. those work really well but i believe you bought just the bulbs since its the 85k rating on them. a buddy of mine bought the bulbs and hated them, so i went online and bought the HI/LOW beam HID Ballast system for my grand am that i had at the time. and I LOVED THEM! if you hate the bulbs pay the money to get the real deal and make sure its the HI/LOW beam ones otherwise you will always have your high beams on. and get a set in the 4000k-5000k rating range. their pretty bright if you get a set in the 4000k

Old 01-07-2008, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member

Well, I finally got around to installing these puppies. I would say that, for illumination, they are about the same level as the stock bulbs but... I don't know... I have mixed feelings about them. They 'look' good but I was expecting a bit more lighting out of them.
They seem to illuminate the white center line a bit better even on damp roads but they give the impression like you're about to drive into a tunnel. I don't think I'd buy these again but I would say they are not worse or better than stockers.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Yea let us know how those work for you.

I purchased the HID conversion kit from zzp:
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=101

Haven't installed them yet though.

Quick Reply: Are these HID's any good?