General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

sup everybody<newby

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Default sup everybody<newby

Hey everyone I just bought a monte carlo because i was looking for a project car and i was trying to find some people that could help me out on things i dont know. Most of the chevy **** I deal with are silverados, and sorry if you admire them but I'm a mechanic and fixing one everyday just doesnt help.

O.K. to the main thing. So I just bought a dark blue 1986 Monte Carlo LS with the 305 and column 3 speed I think. I'm pretty sure its the 350 and not the 200r, but I'm not well enough aware and nor was the guy I bought it from. lol. Just a few things I would like to do.

A. Def needs bigger wheels than the 195's or whatever that comes on it. Just spoke to a guy about getting his 15x10 centerlines, and I was wondering if I have to do any cutting to make wheels fit or whats the biggest wheel I can fit in the well without rubbing? I dont care about turning radius. lol. And whats the biggest tire I can fit on the stock checkerboards until I buy new front rims?

B. Does anyone know where I could get an SS front nose? The cowl hood is easy to find and I'm not really worried about getting that spoiler from an SS. Also, has anyone done a swap and put a manual in? Because everyone keeps telling me not to go with manual for a car in that era especially since finding a manual column is a bitch ( I have a few 400 small blocks lying around and I'm thinking I might build one of those to swap into it. But I'd like to be sure I have an appropriate trans and setup before I go through with the swap).

I think thats it for now but I'll post pics probably this weekend if anyone is interested. Once again, I'm new here just bought the car last week. Name's George and I live on the east coast and thanks for any help.

Last edited by Taz; 09-30-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Fixed cell phone text format
Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Oh yeah, does anyone know where I can get side exit exhaust and a good tight suspension to raise the car up another inch or whatever? Because it looks like a floaty luxury car the way it is now. haha. And I need room for a new exhaust. Not some ****ty flat 1.5 SOR. I figure there's no actual dual or single side exit kits for that car. But I figure I can buy some hooker headers, some custom pipe, and a cat back side exit system, THANKS AGAIN

Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM

biggest tire ive fit in the back is a 275/60/15 on a 8 inch rim. 3.75- 4inch backspacing will fit with out cutting anything or rubbing. with a 10 you might have to really measure and see how much room you have. with the 8s its tight so with the 10s i have to imagine its insanely close unless you run a 50series. the 60 being a 28 inch diameter is going to give you 2 inches of height in the rear which will help your luxary car stance. i dont know the checker board rim width but i assume that they are 6s or 7s ive run 225s on 6s and 245s on 7s. never tried to go bigger. lots of places sell the monte ss nose choochoocustoms used to i dont even know if theyre still around. opgi.com prolly has them 2. your best bet might be to try and find one on ebay or craigslist though. lauren engineering also sold them and they sold the 3rd gen camaro nose for it amongst a bunch of kits and spoilers and what not for the gbodies. if youre going to run a set of headers you could get a precut manderal bent exhaust on jegs or summit in a 3inch or 2.5 inch diameter ready to go. im actually running one on mine. they sell it exiting the rear or behind the rear wheels. if you wanted to keep the cats and run a single into a crossflow muffler i believe there are several companies that make cat back setups for the car. on raising it you might just need new springs. if you want to jack it up in the rear you could look for station wagon springs but the gbodies are already light in the *** and have a bad habit of not hooking to begin with so having a ton of rake doesnt really help anything. i dont believe that that car should have 350 trans in it. if its a 4 speed then it should be a th200 4r if its a 3 speed it might be a 250 or a 350 or any other variant of the 3 speed th trannys. you could look at the pan for a quick id. since neither one of you know what tranny the car has it could have been swapped and god only knows whats in it. first determine if its a 4 speed or a 3 speed that will narrow it down, and it should be super easy if you take it for a ride. then determine which trans it is from there. hope this was of some help. welcome to the forum. feel free to ask if you have any other questions. oh yeah im alex from the east coast as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi George!

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your build. Sounds like a fun project you have in mind. The SS nose looks much meaner in my opion. I can see why you'd want to swap it onto the car.

I hope you don't mind. But it looked like you were posting from your cell phone. I'm very familiar with how difficult it is to post from a cell phone without making it look like one huge sentence. So I fixed up your post a bit, to make it a little easier to read.

I think we'd all love to see pics. Please feel free to post pics if or when you get a chance.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice project. I wish I could give you some of the answers that you are looking for, but I'm not overly familiar with those years. As you can see, there is a huge knowledge base that you can draw from here.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 PM

i was on a computer i was just in class and i didnt bother using periods and stuff lol. and well thank you for all the info ill post pics when i can, probably when im shining her up this weekend as long as it doesnt ****ing rain.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM

oh and i got sidetracked i meant to say i think the the ls came with the 200r and the th350 and the ss was the 700r but i could be completely wrong lol

Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

welcome, There is some info on the nose swap here https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ight=nose+swap
You may be able to search for more all over the site.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

The devil!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 AM

to my knowledge none of the gbodies came with the 700r4. they came in fbodies and the impalas. im running a 700 as we speak. like i said just figure out if its a 3spd or a 4spd.

Quick Reply: sup everybody<newby