General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Stepper Motor Repair : Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stepper Motor Repair : Complete!

I ordered motors sometime last year and delayed the project until now because I was afraid of the scope and thought it would be a multi day project of tearing out my steering column, center console and pulling out the entire dash just to get to the Gauge cluster.

Boy was I happy when I realized how easy it was! I didn't realize at first that the cluster was installed from the cab side, not from behind and that all I had to do was remove the dash trim pannel and pull it out! I think it was 2 screws and some clips that held the knee pannel on, then 3 screws and clips held the dash trim pannel on, and 4 screws held the cluster in place and that was it! Took maybe fifteen minutes to disassemble.

Took it to work, had my father in Hardware Engineering take the motors off and install the new ones; took 40 minutes.

Then Reinstalled. Everything went back the way it should have, took maybe 20 minutes. Started her up, and all my gauges work flawlessly. I've been driving without a speedometer, fuel gauge, tachometer, and oil pressure gauge for almost 1 1/2 years and delayed the fix for an entire year for maybe an afternoon's worth of work.

I want to more discriptively chronicle the entire process for the stepper motor fix from the order of the motors to the final installation with everything inbetween. I've seen a few threads that described a few parts of it and they were helpful, but you had to find them all and piece them together. I will try to come up with something in the next few days and throw it up so that someone may use it and realize how easy of a fix this really is.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did this on my wife's 2005 Impala SS & my 2005 Monte SS it's not to hard to do .. Just some are too afraid to try it..