General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: steering wheel locking up WHILE driving..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Default steering wheel locking up WHILE driving..

So today I was on my way to work and when I turned into the parking lot the wheel turned about half way and locked up. I made the turn then when I went to park it did it again. It was weird. Like halfway through a normal turn it just stopped like that was all there was when it clearly wasn't. I turned it back and forth and it didn't do it anymore. Then I backed out of the spot to try and replicate it and it did it again. I have no idea what could cause this. Here's the kicker, I did have the inner and outer tie rods changed on both sides about 2 weeks ago, then like 2 days later I hit a deer in the road that was already dead (I Live way out in the country) at 60 mph and it was like it hit a curb going full speed. I got out and looked and didn't see any damage and it drove fine after that. Now 2 weeks later I'm having steering issues out of the blue. I'm thinking I may just claim it on my insurance and let the body shop figure it out, but I would like to see what y'all think before I do that. Any ideas on what I should look for? Mind you, I know very little about cars, but have a mechanic friend that knows everything abut my particular Monte. Thanks for your help!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I am not as knowledgeable as many people here at MCF, but sounds like something got damaged by running over the deer, need to get it on a lift or other means over under carriage inspection

Don't forget to let us know what you find out

Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Default I took it in..

So I went ahead and called my insurance company and filed the claim. I have full coverage and my deductible is only $100 and there was no way I was driving it 25 miles home. The rental I got was a 2017 F150. Puke. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by samthepitbull
So I went ahead and called my insurance company and filed the claim. I have full coverage and my deductible is only $100 and there was no way I was driving it 25 miles home. The rental I got was a 2017 F150. Puke. I'll let you know what they say.
Thanks for the update,
the deer incident, you described it as hitting a curb at 60.... that can cause all sorts of damage

you said you live in the country, if driving a lot on dirt roads you should keep a eye on the carbon filter

Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 PM

I do live on a dirt road. I'll have my friend look into that. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Once you hit something it will goof up the under side.
My kids and there friends were good at hitting stuff in the road Speed bumps and Tree limbs, once even a Tire.
I was like you couldn't avoid that.
The service shop counted on my business to keep them going.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM

Well I took it to the shop and they said it needs new wheel hubs, new rack and pinion, and new power steering pump. Fortunately I have full coverage so we will see if they will pay for it.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:12 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by samthepitbull
I do live on a dirt road. I'll have my friend look into that. Thanks.
check out this Monte that drives dirt roads