General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

STB Polishing and how you can make a lid for your K&N

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member
Smile STB Polishing and how you can make a lid for your K&N

I believe on one of the other threads someone was interested in having me polish and paint their STB? Anyways I thought I'd post a few better pictures of it off the car just to show it off I guess. If it's something that someone is truly interested just let me know and I'll try to figure out some sort of price. Probably cost me $10 of sandpaper and $10 of paint and pin stripe (just guessing) plus about 5 hours of time (not sure what kind of hourly rate I would expect, def. cheaper than sending it somewhere to be chromed or polished).

^^^Mirror image of bolt lol...

Since I've already got a thread started I figured I'd also include a small how-to on making a lid for a K&N intake. Not going to claim any results or say that this helps seal up the intake by any means. However, it is pretty cool and you can decal it up without it looking out of place! I've only had the Monte in one car show but the lid definitely got a few comments. One guy even asked me where I bought it since his K&N didn't come with a lid haha.

What I used:
Plastic cutting knife $3
18x24 sheet of duraflex ~$9-10 (I purchased the strongest and highest temp resistant sheet from Lowes)
K&N seal/trim ~$10 shipped from Summit Racing

So about $25-30 in supplies later I had this..

^^^Here's a rough estimate of the dimensions (in inches) didn't get the angles, that could vary between cars and how the intake box was installed.

Again, if anyone doesn't have the time or doesn't want to make one of these just let me know I'm sure we can work something out. Would probably take me a few days to get the edge trim from Summit but other than that I can cut one out in less than an hour so I'd probably just charge you supplies plus shipping

Thanks for looking! Just thought I'd throw it out there if anyone want's either of these things done. If you have any other questions just let me know

Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Both of those look very nice. They look professional! Good luck with any future sales

Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Both of those look very nice. They look professional! Good luck with any future sales
Thanks! Both items are fairly cheap and easy to do yourself which is exactly what I love haha

Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

thanks 4 posting!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
thanks 4 posting!
No problem! Thanks for checking it out

Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I may have to look into making a lid for my K&N after how good that looks!!!

Do you not have any way of monitoring intake temps? I do. Here is why I hate the K&N intake:

It was a 79 degree day yesterday on my way home. Allowable intake temps could be as high as 10 above ambient temp. So 89 should have been the highest an intake should have put.

My K&N was reading intake temps of 112 degrees on my way home. THAT IS A LOT OF HEAT SOAK. I would love to see how much of a difference a lid makes. Still need some way to seal off the giant hole for the tube though. Any ideas on that one?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I may have to look into making a lid for my K&N after how good that looks!!!

Do you not have any way of monitoring intake temps? I do. Here is why I hate the K&N intake:

It was a 79 degree day yesterday on my way home. Allowable intake temps could be as high as 10 above ambient temp. So 89 should have been the highest an intake should have put.

My K&N was reading intake temps of 112 degrees on my way home. THAT IS A LOT OF HEAT SOAK. I would love to see how much of a difference a lid makes. Still need some way to seal off the giant hole for the tube though. Any ideas on that one?
I have an Aeroforce monitoring intake temp at all times

Temps are usually about 5-10 degrees higher than actual outside temp while driving anything over 45-50 mph but there's little to no heatsoak while the car is moving. Of course the more stops or slower you go, the intake temp rises I actually have some of that K&N trim around the ring of the tubing now but it's not quite enough to seal it off (but there is less area exposed). I wish there was a way to do it cleanly lol.

This is the only pic I have of the Aeroforce in action (prefer not to take pics and drive) This was after maybe 30 min of in town driving (lots of stops) and the temp was only up to 130 (still too hot in my opinion) I had just got on highway ramp and snapped the pic and it had already dropped 5 degrees just from going faster.

This was without lid and seal around the tubing.. I'll have to try again today and see if there's any difference, but I won't promise anything. IMO bottom (near pcm) would need to be sealed off as well for best results.

Despite functionality it's still a fairly cool piece that gets comments and looks pretty clean so I say make one if you can lol

Also, @Mike, just wondering at what speeds were your intake temps at 112 degrees? I know I drove back from Wisconsin a week ago last Sunday with just the lid on at 70 mph on interstate and my intake temps stuck right at 7 above the outside temp. (e.g. 80 degrees outside, aeroforce was putting intake temp right at 87 degrees)

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 06-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM

3 Year Member

If anyone has any pics of a scan gauge monitoring temps of a sealed intake box such as CAI, or wizaired I'd love to see the results just to compare. IMO even a fully sealed has to heatsoak at least a little when the car is stopped and running? Or am I just crazy haha? For the price, I think the K&N was totally worth it... Then again I got it as an open box item for $100 + ~$30 for a lid so? And I love the look of the massive RF-1040 filter!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet

i was wondering... is the lid just sitting on top of the heat shield? looks good, i wanted to try something like that on mine but i couldn't figure out how i would mount it so it wont fall off :p

Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
Sweet

i was wondering... is the lid just sitting on top of the heat shield? looks good, i wanted to try something like that on mine but i couldn't figure out how i would mount it so it wont fall off :p
Yup, just sits there

It's a tight enough fit under the cross brace that it doesn't go anywhere Made it a 4 hour drive from Wisconsin to Ames, IA with no issues and didn't move at all

Quick Reply: STB Polishing and how you can make a lid for your K&N