General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Standing on your brake pedal isn't fun.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Default Standing on your brake pedal isn't fun.

came around a corner on a bridge going down the highway early this morning going about130km/hr(still dark out) and out of nowhere i see this blue 80's stylemonte carlo broke down in my lane with no shoulder for him to move to.(no hazard lights on)i went to switch lanes but their was a car beside me. so i grabbed my steering wheel and put all 240lbs of me onto the brake pedal. my *** was off my seat.

i stopped with about 2.5 feet of room between us. and i thank the inventor of ABS.

anyone else ever had a "close call" this is my first time hammering the brakes in my MC

Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default RE: Standing on your brake pedal isn't fun.

Well yes... But it was me that was being the asre! I was on my way home the other day and it was raining and people were throwing water on my car... Yes, I'm a sick man... So I started passing everyone and I blew by the last car about 120-feet from where I turn into the sub, moving at a very fast clip. Nailed the brakes and actually forgot I had ABS (that would allow me to turn), until I almost slid past the street, and then it dawned on me and I turned the wheel and hit the gas and bingo I was safe. But... I was being an asre for sure... so I lucked out!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i taped my brake in a 35 mpg curve going 70 and the rear end started coming around, i knew with teh front wheel drive i may be able to pull the car back stragiht, so i tapped teh gas and held the wheel straight, and just pulled the car right thru the corner....

close one....

Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Yeah I had one. It was with my older car, my 96 Firebird. I was taking one of my buddy home and he lives out in the country and this guy in a MX6 fart can, decals on the side, heflies around me (2 lane). So I jump on it and fly right up behind him about a foot away from him. He is on it, I'm on it, he is trying to get away but can't. We are about 90 MPH, when my buddy goes that's my street. I the brakes up, the car goes sideways we are about even with his street, so I punched the gas, threw it more sideway and drifted onto his street, then caught it and took off flyin down his street. My buddy was like nice, did you mean to do that? I almost **** my pants I thought I was going to end up either in the ditch or in the middle of a corn field

Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In '04 not long after I got out of the hospital, I'm still wearing the neck brace and we're going to a cruise-in one saturday. They were workong on I-75 at the time and had it down to two lanes. We're in the outside lane and since I can not move my head to the left (cause of the auto accident) I'm trying my best to se what's beside me? Meantime the traffic ahead of us had come to a dead stop. My g/f's screaming, "They've stop!" like 5 times.

One I know I don't want to be in another auto accident.
Two I don't want it being my fault.
Three I don't want to rear end the SUV infront of us.
Four I don't want my '86 LS Monte wrecked.

So just as I slam down on the brakes I remember how the car will react if I put it into a slide, so I do and slide right around the stopped SUV. Okay the construction barrel I hitdidn't stand a chance but it was better then wrecking my car.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM

Close call. I have too many to list. The downside of being a professional driver.

But this story sticks out in my mind because it was entirely my fault.

So here I am. Driving my western star tractor down the trans canada highway. Its a lovely sunny summers day on the praries. Its heading across saskatchewan, going to Winterpeg, Manitoba. Its a warm day. Country music is playing. Not a bad day at all. A passing lane appears and I move over to the right hand lane, to allow people to pass. Our trucks are speed limited to a maximum of 105 k/ph.

So Im going down this highway. its straight as far as the eye can see. A few cars pass me, and its only natural to look down at the car, to see where it is going. I see a sunfire convertable scooting up beside me with the top down. I look at the car and see two lovely ladies in mini-skirts and bikini tops.

Now take into mind, I sit about 10 feet off the ground, so I have no problems looking down and seeing the.. Interesting side of the femal anotomy. And Im thinkin wow. They arent wearing any unde- CAAAAR!!!!

I lock up the brakes as I now see the stalled car in the lane, the truck starts to jack-knife because I have almost 50 tons on the trailer. Im now looking at the ditch, but still moving straight. I grab a fistfull of the spike (trailer brakes) and release the service breaks, thr truck is still going down the highway, with the 53' van trailer pushing the tractor along. I stomp on the fuel and steer left. The truck begins to veer left now.. It doesnt stop, I let go of the spike and steer right, and now my trailer is starting to veer into the ditch. My entire rig is going down the highway at a 45' angle so I steer right again as the stalled car is quickly getting closer. The trailer clears the parked car and now is at a 45' angle in the passing lane, and in the oncoming lane. I then see a minivan coming down the road. I elect to do what I can.
Ditch..

I steer the tractor left and directly into the ditch.

I remember coming too in the back of the ambulance. I had done well. I missed the stalled car with 3 kids and 2 adults, and the minivan with 2 parents and 2 kids. The western star didnt fair out so well. Total write off. Think I still have a few pics around somewhere.. Ill have to dig them out of the garage...

Why do I call it a close call. Well. We all survived. Lesson :

Pay attention to driving. This accident was well over $560,000 in damages.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

WOW!

I think I'd remember an accident like that, too. Good job on the "Driving" so there were no injuries.

But I have to ask. After the accident and the following investigation what did you give as an excuse as to WHY this happened? Surely it wasn't..............
"And Im thinkin wow. They arent wearing any unde-"
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM

too bad they werent nurses... eh?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

I told them that the trailer brakes locked up becausethe air lines had broken off. They believed me. There was no real investigation per say. Just the RCMP wrote down what had happened. And went on thier merry way.

The rcmp officers that met me in the hospital and I explained this to were both female, so I didnt even dare to tell the truth.

Quick Reply: Standing on your brake pedal isn't fun.