General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Standard Exhaust Improvement Minus the expense.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Help needed with Standard Exhaust Improvement Minus the expense.

Ok I have been throwing around a few Ideas inmy brain about my exhaust.
My Z-34 new came with catback duals...with walker mufflers... They have been worn out long ago and replaced with "turbo" mufflers..(to quiet for me)

So, I have been searching for an alternative without spending a fortune or doing a complete make over of my exhaust...( Limited Budget Expenses)

Heres a cpl of things I have considered:
Do a Muffler delete/ straight pipes with or without resinator..plus tails and tips.

Do a non Muffler delete/ insert glass pack where resinator was in stock position with tails and tips.

Do Muffler delete/ Insert glasspack in resinator(stock) position and tails and tips.

Replace Mufflers with ?? cheap ?? mufflers/ delete resonator/ add tails and tips.

Since this is going to more than likely be the last time I will have or want to mess with the exhaust/ Its not a racing type setup vehicle HENCE:/ non supercharged/non turbo type..
go fast vehicle...merely a daily driver that I would like to add a little "Tone" to it.

So, im lookn for a little input here as to a non expensive way to improve its tone of voice. (Remember this will be the mrs daily driver again after the Monte Nationals) She doesnt appreciate a little tone in any vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any and all input....

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-22-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Replace the turbo mufflers with some old skool Cherry Bombs. She'll hate them. You'll love them.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I removed the resonator on mine. Just put a straight pipe in. The rest of my exhaust is stock. Made it a little louder, and made the pitch a little higher. Not a huge fan of it, but it's cheap.

Cowboy6622 Duane ran his N/A 3800 with no mufflers for a while. At first he liked it. But eventually got tired of it. I'll let him explain further.

You're not going to get it to sound like a big V8 engine. It'll always sound like a V6. But you have lots of choices for changing the tone and volume.

I'd be afraid of it sounding ricey though. Which is why I'm not really liking removing the resonator on my Monte. To me it sounds borderline rice. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
Replace the turbo mufflers with some old skool Cherry Bombs. She'll hate them. You'll love them.
I found on you tube a guy that has just cherry bombs on his..and I wasnt impressed...not quite the sound Im looking for...But I appreciate the suggestion..(That thought did cross my mind)...

Also he didnt have any sort of tips or room for atils and tips..they were just to long...

Thanks Wayne!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-22-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

No mufflers is going to drive you crazy. The 3800 sounds terrible loud.

I have a Magnaflow Resonator with Magnaflow mufflers (because I have the now discontinued GMPP Cat-Back, which was just an unbranded Magnaflow). I like it, it's not TOO loud

Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I removed the resonator on mine. Just put a straight pipe in. The rest of my exhaust is stock. Made it a little louder, and made the pitch a little higher. Not a huge fan of it, but it's cheap.

Cowboy6622 Duane ran his N/A 3800 with no mufflers for a while. At first he liked it. But eventually got tired of it. I'll let him explain further.

You're not going to get it to sound like a big V8 engine. It'll always sound like a V6. But you have lots of choices for changing the tone and volume.

I'd be afraid of it sounding ricey though. Which is why I'm not really liking removing the resonator on my Monte. To me it sounds borderline rice. But that's just my opinion.
Thats more long the lines of what I was also thinking muffler delete, leaveing the resonator and running tails and tips...
I realize (which is obvious) It'll never sound like a V8....But its to friggn quiet for me LOL....I did stop today at 1 of the exhaust shops that I usually have my exhaust work done at.. He suggested the samething...
I also found on you tube a 3.8 that had his exhaust done the same way
and it was a little raspy ... But wasnt to awful sounding either...

Thanks Taz!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
No mufflers is going to drive you crazy. The 3800 sounds terrible loud.

I have a Magnaflow Resonator with Magnaflow mufflers (because I have the now discontinued GMPP Cat-Back, which was just an unbranded Magnaflow). I like it, it's not TOO loud
Heres the big question for me mike...

What did that setup cost?...Im kinda Money shy now that the mrs is off work...So, Im definately on a tight budget til we get caught up again...
She goes back to the doc on friday for a check up after her procedure...
Since she gets paid by weekly....were a little strapped for cash...

Thanks Mike for the help!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I bought it as a full cat-back system for $525.

Piecing it together could possibly be cheaper, especially if the exhaust shop is making their own piping for you.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I bought it as a full cat-back system for $525.

Piecing it together could possibly be cheaper, especially if the exhaust shop is making their own piping for you.
Mike:
Right now thats a little bit more than I am able scrounge up at this time....
But most certainly, Should I get to the point that I need to replace the whole system.. I wil definately consider it!
Thanks Mike.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM

I'd put on 2 Magnaflow mufflers with a 16-18" Magnaflow glass-pack, essentially making the GMPP system, just without the high cost. Then add some nice stainless tips if you don't already have them.

Basically that's what I did on my 3.4, although I'm not changing the stock res until spring, I've currently just got it patched as it split again. Only difference is the 3.4 sounds a little, well... better than the 3.8, but they're along the same lines.

Quick Reply: Standard Exhaust Improvement Minus the expense.