General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

SS Added Upgrades - What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default RE: SS Added Upgrades - What are they?

My '02 has all the SS options Taz listed. The heated mirrors and seats are really nice even if we don't that much ice/cold. And I love the audio controls on the steering wheel and theauto dimming rearview mirror (although it freaked me out at first - didn't know they made such a critter, LOL), but why don't they also put it on the side mirrors? You don't get blinded from behind, just the side.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not that it really matters, but the '04 SS have the samefeatures as the '05 SS.

Becky, you really are lucky to have such a great Earnhardt edition.
I'm not 100% sure on the available options in the '02 SS,but I think the Earnhardt editions may have gotten a little more than the regular '02 SS. (Someone please correct me if this is wrong). I am aware that the 02 didn't have an available supercharger, which was a shame in my opinion.

The listing in my previous post was not for just the pace car, or signature series. It was for all the '04 & '05 SS models. Pace car and signature series simply included the appropriate appearance package. Mostly stickers.

I too am glad that GM finally got their act together in 2006 and returned the V8 power to the SS models. I agree that for many years GM was slapping either an "SS" or a "Z" on cars in all their brands, with not muchto back it up. Putting the V8's back into the SS models brings respectability back to the SS name. JMHO.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Photobucket

I wasn't aware that a supercharger was even available in '02, if so, then I am missing an option - darn it. Oh well, it'd just get me into trouble, LOL. And you are probably right about the DE Editions getting more than the regulars, for the price they were charging for a new one, they should.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Becky my guess would have been any and all of the DE editions would have the supercharger on them. Afterall, those cars were the higher end and if you wanted one (or do want one) you paid more to own one.

Taz, did you mention the SS got different diameter sway bars on them versus the other models?

I know one yeat anti-lock brakes were an option even for the SS and the next year they were standard on the SS Monte.

In '06/07 the SS got 3 point engine mounting on the 5.3 versus theLS, LTs and LTZ which only got 2 point engine mounting.

Leather was always an option for the '00-05 LS and standard in SS. But some SSs you could get cloth seats if you wanted.

Then there's the obvious like the spoilers and ground effects.
But again even LS could get the race inspired spoiler with the appearence package.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: rj

Becky my guess would have been any and all of the DE editions would have the supercharger on them. Afterall, those cars were the higher end and if you wanted one (or do want one) you paid more to own one.
That's what I would think too, so maybe they did not have a supercharger that year (?), because I don't have one. hmmm, makes me wonder if they were available then. Oh well, like I said, I don't need it, but I am curious now.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 PM

The first supercharged SS was offered in 2004.I remember seeing one of the first onesat the local Chevy dealer and tossing around the idea of trading in my 2000 SS for it,but decided against it.When I saw the 06 was going to have a V8 though,I finally decided it was time to reallystart shopping for one.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Photobucket

Question answered. Thanks Laserblue06SS, now I can quit wondering, LOL.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry for any confusion.

For some reason, GM would not offer a supercharger in the Monte until 2004. Before that, you had to buy a Grand Prix if you wanted a s/c. They could have sold a lot more Monte's if they offered a supercharger in all the 5th and 6th gen Monte's.

The fact that they didn't put a supercharger inthe 2002 DE edition is a shame. I agree with you Becky, for the extra money you had to pay for the DE package new, they should have included the supercharger.

Oh well, not much we can do about it now. Unless you want to do an engine and tranny swap in your awesome DE edition, Becky. Sounds like a good project though.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Photobucket

LOL, Taz, at this time, I'm not financially able to be swapping things that are not necassary, so I think I'll leave it alone. Besides, if I did have a S/C, my son might want to borrow it and we can't have that. It goes plenty fast enough for me