General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Speedometer sticking

Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Default Speedometer sticking

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged Tony Stuart Series. The problem I have is the speedo started sticking. It sticks at various speeds & then ever so slightly starts to drop after I turn the car off & start it again. But only after it has been driven. It never corrects itself while driving. This just started a week ago. I have issues with the gas gauge sticking & the boost gauge sticking as well. Both of those have done it once & are now working fine.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM

It's a pretty common issue for the gauge motors to go bad in several different '04-'05 GM vehicles.
There is a thread in the "How-To" section that details what you need to do to replace the individual motors. Your other options are replacing the entire cluster, or sending out your cluster to a place like bbengineer to have the motors replaced.

Best of luck.
-Riggs.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 6th gen (2000-2005) Monte gauges are noted for going bad. I had the temp guage go bad in my Dale Jr edition.

In the off chance you still have extended warranty left. Jump on it! It will be covered 100%

If you decide to go to a dealership to repair it, this is what will happen:

The dealership will special order a replacement guage cluster from GM. Has to be special ordered because of the Tony Stewart edition-specific guage cluster. They may even ask to see your proof of vehicle ownership. With me, GM refused to ship the dealership my replacement guage cluster until the dealership provided GM with proof I owned an actual Dale Jr edition. They may do that with you too. Then they swap your original cluster for the replacement. GM did not allow me to keep the old cluster, dealership had to ship it back for refurbishing.

But I went through my extended warranty. Perhaps if I paid for it out of pocket, they would have let me keep my old one for the price of the core charge.

If you're comfortable taking your gauge cluster apart, and don't have any warranty left, you can replace just the one bad guage yourself. And save yourself some money. But if you have any warranty left, take advantage of it.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks. But my warranty is way past being done. I have 81,118 Miles on it.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Default speedometer stuck

O.k, Now my , Speedometer is stuck.
I've looked at some of the threads about this. This seems to be a common problem with these cars. Where is the recall GM ?
I asked someone at work about this and he suggested the speed sensor
is going out. Any opinions ?

1997-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Speed Sensor - Standard SC88

Last edited by nascar43; 04-11-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I would assume stepper motor before speed sensor.

You should talk to bbengineer(.com) he can give you a good amount of information, as well as help you if you want him to do the work.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Default speedometer

There is a speedometer shop nearby and I may take the Guage Cluster to them and have them correct it. I've never done any soldering and I don't want this to be my first time.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Can't blame you for that one!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Default speedometer

Well, the Speed Sensor didn't repair the problem....
A co-worker of mine recently had the same issue with his GMC Yukon. He sent the gauge panel to place in Georgia and they replaced the Stepper motor and checked the other ones as well ( I think ? ) and it works fine now. So I am going to do the same.

Is the dash panel a easy disassemble ?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the dash is easy to pull off, i recomment sending the bbengineer.com, he's a great guy to work with!

look here to remove dash!

Dash Removal - Youtube

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer sticking