General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Some advice on a trade in.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Default Some advice on a trade in.

Hello everyone. I must joined you forum and its already been really helpful. Anway heres the deal. I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS white tan leater(bitch to keep clean) I love the car its a SS and all and iv had it for 11 months and got the car for 8K. its got 109K on the clock and havent had any problems with the car once since I had it. Its made 3 trips form wichita KS to Ogden Utah so its awsome.https://montecarloforum.com/m_49649/...t;<<pics of the car. Anyway I test drove a 2006 monte carlo LT to day. 3900 Seires V6(not sure what the HP on that one is) and black clother 17" wheels nice car and seem a lot faster than the SS I have now. The dealer said they would pay off my SS so I wont be upside down on it and with the payments its only gonna be $80 more a month what I pay for my SS now. The car only has 20K miles on it and its very nice Ill even go out and say it nicer than the monte I have no. I dont know much about the new 3.9 3900 V6. Its got fogs and dual exaust basiclly what my SS is but newer and no SS badge. So what would you do Keep the 2001 SS or for a few bucks more a month trade it in for the new 2006 LT.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Default RE: Some advice on a trade in.

[align=center]Hi `Josh,[/align][align=center]Welcome to the MCF.I have a 06 Monte Carlo LT3 with[/align][align=center]the 3.9 L 242 HP,and it is a awesome car for the Money.[/align][align=center]What are they asking for the 06 LT3. What are they giving you[/align][align=center]on trade-in.[/align][align=center]Below link will give you trade in values and resale value's[/align][align=center]on both cars. It pays todo your homework, also check[/align][align=center]with your insurance company.[/align][align=center]The 06LT3 should still be under warranty & has[/align][align=center]approx. 90K less miles then your 01 SS. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many owners on the 06. ?[/align][align=center]Was it ever a rental car ?[/align][align=center]Is it a certified used car ?[/align][align=center]Ask for a CarFax Report on the 06.[/align][align=center]Check out the forum, & you will find that member's[/align][align=center]with the 3.9L 06 Monte Carlo's are very happy with their purchase : )[/align][align=center]Click the below link and research the prices on your cars.[/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_25059/tm.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Also check sites like AutoTrader.com or Cars.com for 06Monte Carlo LT3[/align][align=center]* The LT had two engines in 06 (a 3.5L & the 3.9L)[/align][align=center]Good Luck, keep us informed on what you do.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 08-26-2007, 04:46 AM

they want 17K for the LT. and There going to give me pay off on the SS witch is a lil over 6K. It had on owner, wasnt a rental, im sure its got the 3.9 cause the cover on the engine said 3900 Series V6. Corect me if im wrong but if it was a 3.5 It would have said 3500 Series. plus I pulled up some motor pics and it matches the 3.9's I found on the net. I moves like it has 242HP thats for sure.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:20 AM

`Josh, It sounds like it's a 3.9 L : ) 4 -$ure : )
$17 K is a good retail price on a 06 LT3 with 20 K miles.
Did you ask what they would sell it to you for without a trade ?
How much do you think you could retail your 01 SS for ?
I would suggest checking www.autotrader.com ~ or other auto/sale sites,
& checking prices of 01 SS's & 06 LT3's to see the market in your area.
It's to late, once you sign the paperwork : )
Explore the MCF, & there are several post on the 06 3.9L, and check
out the Monte Carlo Review post for information/reviews on Monte Carlo's.
Good Luck,
Keep us posted on what you do.
`Space

Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 AM

Thanks alot for the advise. the rerail on my 01 on KBB is 6 and change. I owe less than that on it. I got it for 8 last year wich is a great price for a SS I guess. The dealer in kansas sold it to me for cost cause my brother at the time was the sales maneger. from the look of things I wont go upside down the the 01 and can get the 06 pretty close to what I pay for my 01 give a take a few bucks

Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 AM

The 3800 is a proven engine so you probably won't have to worry about issues of that nature. I haven't heard any major problems with the 3500 or 3900 but it's still a newer engine than I would want to deal with even if I had good payments.

What are your payments going to be on the new car with the trade in and everything?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:59 AM

My LTZ has the 3.9L
I have no problems with the engine at all in her.
She now has 11000 miles on it. Had it since May 2006

I dont think you can go wrong with the 3.9L nor the LT3 model

Old 08-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Here's some of the best advice I can think of for this situation. Is your current car reliable? How long before it's paid off? Do you want to keep a car payment or go without one? If I had it to do over again I'd kept my 2000 fully loaded LS and now had no car payments whatsoever. Plus cheaper insurance. These are the things I would honestly think of. If payments are of no concern then 80 more a month isn't bad for trading up.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Yes the car I have is reliable. I have only had a problem with the egnition relay put replaced that and havent had one magor problem. I keep burning out interior lights thats about it. but the car is getting up there in age I think. 6 years old going on 7. The LT will come with a 3 year bumber to bumber warrenty and I wont have to make a payment for 90 days. I currently pay $247.58 for my 01 every month. with the trade in I can pick up the LT for around $325. and my intrest rate wont be very hight since I have almot perfect credit. Im only 20 years old so this whole buying and trading cars is new to me. Im just think the LT will be better for me and my girl since its newer and nicer. If I get this car I plan on keeping it till its paid off and keeping for a lot of years to come. oh BTW $17k is the price of the LT without my trade.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

My LTZ has the 3.9L
I have no problems with the engine at all in her.
She now has 11000 miles on it. Had it since May 2006

I dont think you can go wrong with the 3.9L nor the LT3 model
Awesome!!! I hope it keeps going well for you. You might know this better than I, but how long has the 3.9 been in existance. I know the 3.8 has been since the 60's...maybe earlier... and has been proven to bea good engine like the 5.7.

I'm just simply not that familiar with it and maybe that is why I'm hesitant to endorse it.

But once again I'm glad that it's going strong for you and I hope it keeps going.

Quick Reply: Some advice on a trade in.