General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Slipping, but only during gentle driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
1 Year Member
Default Slipping, but only during gentle driving

My transmission has recently started to slip a bit from a stop, but only if I'm driving very slow and gently. Like granny pace. It's also taken to shifting a bit harsher, again only if I'm moving at a very slow pace.
some background info: the shifter was sticky, like something was caught in it after I got it back from firestone. As of about a week ago, whatever was sticking in it broke loose and the shifter moves very smooth, with little effort.
the car is also overdue for an oil and atf change

Old 11-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Smeebs
My transmission has recently started to slip a bit from a stop, but only if I'm driving very slow and gently. Like granny pace. It's also taken to shifting a bit harsher, again only if I'm moving at a very slow pace.
some background info: the shifter was sticky, like something was caught in it after I got it back from firestone. As of about a week ago, whatever was sticking in it broke loose and the shifter moves very smooth, with little effort.
the car is also overdue for an oil and atf change

You may want to check the Trans fluid to see what color it is, RED is good brown is not and should be changed. Also you can add in a quart of Lucas Oil trans lube. I twill help the shift.
Not sure what you are driving here, and miles etc.?

Old 11-04-2017, 06:17 PM
1 Year Member

Supercharged ss that just crossed over 100k miles.
the fluid is a brownish color, I checked yesterday. I also added some fluid since it was low, and it was fine for about a half hour. Then started acting up.
I'm really hoping this isn't a mechanical problem in the transmission. That would suck

Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

the fluid is a brownish color, I checked yesterday. I also added some fluid since it was low, and it was fine for about a half hour. Then started acting up.
I'm really hoping this isn't a mechanical problem in the transmission. That would suck
It is a good idea to change the Trans fluid 35K to 50K this is probably in the owners manual, you should see and feel a difference in the performance once you make the change, also check the Lucas trans additive it will help the shifting.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:10 AM

The Lucas trans additive hasn't done **** for me....

Old 11-12-2017, 06:21 AM

So have you found anything out with this?? Im kinda having a similar issue. Would like to compare..

Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM
1 Year Member

I haven't yet. I put a bottle of transmission fluid in a few days before making that post since it was low, and it worked great for a half hour. A few days later and I have much less slip.
I think it was the shifter assembly. I cussed at my girlfriend for forever leaving her bags on it and it's much less slippery